Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Riding in style! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Riding in style!         Reply with quote

I have for a while been taking up horse-back riding and since I'm also quite interested in living history and arms and armour, it was inevitable that I would start to combine these interests.

So this last week I have made my first attempts at hastiludes. My riding instructor and a few friends are all quite new to this, so we kind of make it up as we go along. We have some knights and jousting people in our social networks that we get some pointers from, but I know that there are some really experienced people here as well Happy

So far we have looked into the IJA rules and practices, and are in no real hurry so we rather take it slow and make it right than rush into things and mess it all up. Especially since our horses are not trained for this either.

So I would love if I could get some pointers on

What do you train and how? Good exercises for me and/or the horse?

What equipment do you use to train?

When all dressed up in period gear, what compromises are made for comfort and safety?
Safety first -right? Turnshoues without heel in chausses might look smashing but getting stuck in the stirrups might not be so good? Will period helms be an additional hazard or actually serve as protection in a fall?

Any experienced shared will be deeply appreciated Happy

/Bjorn

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Riding in style!         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:

What do you train and how? Good exercises for me and/or the horse?

I do tent pegging and grabbing rings. I'm also training a horse to be ok with horse archery, which took a couple weeks of me going down and standing next to it shooting a bow. As you say, it's all about going slow and thinking about what you're doing, while not trying to rush the horse. On of the other ones i've done is putting up a stick which you ride past at a canter and attack twice with a slash, one incoming and one backwards while moving away. you really have to move fast with that if the horse is going at any speed.

Quote:

What equipment do you use to train?

I started using extendable paint roller handles. They are made of aluminium and telescope out to 6 foot long. They're really good at first, because they're really light, so you can use them easily while the horse is getting used to you carrying stuff. Then I moved on to wooden and metal weapons. Instead of tent pegs we just put marks on the ground. It's got less of a reset time. For ring, I use cut up plastic bottles, but I have some rope ones being made.

Quote:

When all dressed up in period gear, what compromises are made for comfort and safety?
Safety first -right? Turnshoues without heel in chausses might look smashing but getting stuck in the stirrups might not be so good? Will period helms be an additional hazard or actually serve as protection in a fall?

I've not ridden in full plate yet, (I do 15th century) but I have ridden in turnshoes without a heel and not had a problem. I suppose it depends on the size of your foot. My feet are massive and I'd be hard pressed to find a stirrup they would slide through. Most people I know however ride in turnshoes no matter their foot size. It just doesn't seem to be an issue. A lot of people I know wear thigh length boots as well. They help prevent chaffing rather well, so I'm told. I know there are a lot of images from the 15th century of people wearing them.

Well made full plate armour will protect you extremely well. At the last joust I was at one jouster hit gravel with his head at a canter. As he was wearing a gorgeous spring steel armet he was able to stand up, and get back on his horse with only a short break while we moved the saddle round from the stomach of his horse, back to it's proper place. badly made plate armour will damage and in extreme cases, it might even kill you. If you're riding, then buy the best, or don't bother.

I can give you a list of armourers if you want, but you'll find it's very short.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert, but I'm in a similar place to you a year or so down the line, and have done a lot of asking and research myself. Post up some pictures when you start training them.

Zac
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have done some ring grabbing as well, using crops and rings made from saplings cut and twisted toghether and tied up with ribbons. Love it when raw materials grow by the paddock side. Tent pegging we have not tried but it will be on the list of things to do!

Paint roller handles sounds like a good idea! We have been scratching our heads to find something that is light and flexible enough to not be a hazard but let us practice carrying something in the hand.

We also have made a little quintain (for the kids on the tiny ponies, so its rather small and does not really swing easy enogh to get hit in the back of the head..) it serves good so far, but eventually we will build a proper one.

Interesting about footwear though. I guess it is one of those old wifes tale things, where you are always told: "If you do not have heels on your riding shoes, you absolutley will get caught in the stirrup and die a horrible, horrible death!" I guess proper sizing of stirrup is what counts.

Armour-wise, when/if I go for plate armour I plan to contact Albert Collins. Was he on your short list? but for starters, it is "age-of-mail"-style equipment for me. With a large and sleeved surcoat, I figured I can actually hide a modern riding vest and save weight and add safety. With mail gloves and a mail coif I suppose no one will be the wiser..but luckily I have plenty of time before that will be a pressing issue.

Pictures of us playing around have been taken by the way, and will be posted in some near future hopefully!

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Riding in style!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic