Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am momentarily disheartened by statements such as There's a reason that 18th - 19th c broadswords are, well, broad, and not tapered like a Type XV - no armour, which means you are again emphasizing the cut. because there was a far amount of not just heavy uniform coverage but also hard armour and helmets right up to the end of the age of the sword.

We are trying to compare the 18th and 19th (and 20th) century swords with the medieval and it often becomes a matter of apples vs oranges. A lot of the observations have been spot on but (imo) rambling well off the real issues and not being perhaps as precise as one may be in analogy and abstracts.

Contexts please guys, for the poor readers in the galleries. Especially so in the cut vs thrust which has been included in better context within this thread.

High tides and the moon drive some of these discussions to occlusions of any rampart Wink

Cheers

GC
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the simplest ways to evaluate what geometries are most practical for a given purpose is to step away from the world of weapons (which can have elements of fashion clouding any analysis of their utility) and turn to the world of tools.

Want a tool optimizes purely for sticking/stabbing? Then look to the awl or icepick. How about a tool for cutting through heavy, resistant brush? Here we have the machete - these tools (which looks suspiciously like falchions or messers) show us the optimum shape for hewing blows. Were this not so, folks living in jungle and rainforest terrain would use something else, because there's certainly no romanticism tying them to these tools.

Now of course, human bodies and brush don't behave precisely the same way, but there must be some reasonable commonalities, else we wouldn't be using rice mats and saplings for our own practice.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Ragnar A. Olsen

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A bit off topic but relates to cutting performance.

Something I've been curious about lately when it comes to cutting performance. Doesn't the length of the hilt have a significant impact? I was just browsing youtube the other day and came across some "record" for tatami cutting.
The sword that was used had a hilt nearly as long as the blade. Made wonder if it isn't the length of the hilt on the katana combined with the stiffness of the blade and geometry of the edge, rather then the curve that makes them such good cutting swords.

I'm thinking, the longer the hilt on a sword, the further you'll extend "the strong" and as such gain a lot more leverage and as a result greater cutting performance or am I just confusing myself?
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
I am momentarily disheartened by statements such as There's a reason that 18th - 19th c broadswords are, well, broad, and not tapered like a Type XV - no armour, which means you are again emphasizing the cut. because there was a far amount of not just heavy uniform coverage but also hard armour and helmets right up to the end of the age of the sword.

We are trying to compare the 18th and 19th (and 20th) century swords with the medieval and it often becomes a matter of apples vs oranges. A lot of the observations have been spot on but (imo) rambling well off the real issues and not being perhaps as precise as one may be in analogy and abstracts.

Glen, yes, for example the Napoleonic cuirassier wore a proof breastplate and heavy helmet, and used a long, straight blade. But having said that, the amount of actual rigid armour worn in the West in this period was dramatically less by the 17th century from what it had been in the XVth, and that affects which weapons are wielded. As to soft armour, the wool uniform of the late 18th century soldier, while often proving to be a good, light defense against cuts, was still rather less so than an aketon, jack or mail shirt.

Again, there is no real mystery to the assertion that broad, straight blades become less popular as more, rigid steel armour appears, nor that many textile armours of the period were considered cut proof (for example, see the linen coat of Robert Guiscard discussed in the Alexiad), and likewise, my general assertion that as armour wanes we see the introduction of sabres and a return to straight, broad blades - *cutting* swords. That is all I was saying.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I’ve been following this thread since Michael’s OP. His weapon control and form as shown in the video are incredible.
Quote:
I hope you enjoy it.
I most certainly did!

I’ve also enjoyed the arguments and counter-arguments as viewed from the outside being that I’m not an edged weapon expert (in any way, shape or form) as many on this forum are.

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
So, in short, yes: I think we should cut. That's one of the pitfalls for folks coming out of stick fighting arts, for instance - the reality of an edge, and control of the alignment of said edge, isn't part of their former training paradigm. I therefore think everyone should do some test-cutting, and, equally important, test thrusting. The debate lies in how this should be done and whether a cutting exercise moves from the realm of tactical reality to one of "how cool can this thing cut?" And, I like the latter too, but I think it's a test of the sword, and not the man.

Christian’s statement struck a chord with me as my only fighting experience consists of rattan combat. With only a colored piece of tape to indicate an “edge”, I personally have no “reality of an edge”. I’ve come to believe that test cutting and blunt sparring can significantly improve a rattan combatant’s skill and form. I also believe this is just as important to the striker as well as the one being struck. Last week I was eliminated from a tournament by a blow that was later determined to have been struck with the “flat” of the rattan blade (no video replay in the current middle ages Happy ). If my opponent or I had “the reality of an edge” and better understood “control of the alignment of said edge” things may have turned out differently (or not Wink ).

While the differences between the rattan and WMA methodologies have been well debated on this forum previously, I would like to concentrate on the similarities. If, I may, add to Christian’s comment “I therefore think everyone should do some test-cutting, and, equally important, test thrusting” the phrase “as well as blunt sparing”.

My point is this: Use every tool available to improve the discipline/sport/game you enjoy. If your flavor is rattan combat, trying other disciplines can only make you stronger.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fair enough comments all around Scott. Thanks for posting your perspective.

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Jean Henri,

The Brescia is not a Type XV; it's usually considered a variant of a Type XVI,

And some people think it's a type XVIII, I didn't say it was a type XV, I said it was "in the ballpark of" a type XV, i.e. it is a pointy sword of a type people used to consder superior for thrusting. My point is that the conventional wisdom of what makes a sword good for cutting is not always correct, replicas of broad strait blades of the XIIa and XIIIa types haven't always worked as well as the pointier Brescia, or even the Constable.

Quote:

As to sabres, messers, falchions, etc being maximized for cutting, well, does personal discussion with the late Ewart Oakeshott, David Edge and most recently, discussion with the curator of edged weapons at the Royal Armouries count?

No it doesn't count, I think it's great that you talked to Ewart Okaeshott personally and I'm a little jealous of that, but I've talked to all kinds of people as well. What I was interested in was direct evidence such as cutting videos.

The Albion Knecht may be a great cutting sword, I gather it is, but I have seen plenty of messers which cut relatively poorly (Cold Steels messer for example which I was not impressed by) not to mention machetes which actually cut like crap compared to most swords. I have seen some cutting with 19th and early 20th Century military sabers and it wasn't that impressive, on the other hand good quality Katanas cut quite well. The Knecht may cut well because it has a curved blade, or it may cut well because it is a big sword and a newer and better made replica. I think that is the principle "magic" of the Brescia Spadona replica, not the mysterious typology, but simply the fact that Peter Johnnson did such extremely meticulous measurments of the original and made such a relatively accurate replica. We have seen replicas continue to improve dramatically in the last ten years, I suspect that trend will continue. If Peter goes back and makes another replica of the Brescia Spadona in five years it may well outperform the one they are selling today.

Quote:
Not being glib, but this isn't a particularly radical position about the continuum of blade curvature, and has also been known among knife makers as general knowledge. Bowie knives cut a lot better than an Arkansas Toothpick for a reason. It is just physics at work.

I'm not being glib either, but what I wanted to see was evidence that sabers always or usually cut better than double-edged swords which back up your original statement, because all of the talk and theories about swords have proven to my experience to be far less valuable than actual practical tests. So you will forgive me if I conclude that you apparently do not have any evidence, and I'm sorry but I won't take your word for it.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys,

Surely it's beyond debate that a flat profiled blade, weighted more towards the center of percussion, is going to cut - with some outlier exceptions - better than an isoceles triangle shaped blade.

We don't Oakeshott, Greg, or anyone else to know that: it's basic physics. If not, then someone needs to convince Home Depot to sell axes shaped like type XV swords. But good luck on that...

@Jean: The Cold Steel messer really doesn't tell us anything about messers in general. It's simply a poorly-made sword.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

I'm not sure how much of this long thread you've read, but we're not far from agreement.

I'm sure we are for the most part.

Quote:

1. I don't oppose cutting. In fact, we use it here as a 'sanity check': is your edge alignment good, can you generate power, etc?

A commendable practice, we do the same.

Quote:

2. We don't know what was worn in 15th c. unarmoured judicial duels. Our only clue, that I'm aware of, is the opening sequence in Codex Wallerstein, showing two champions before a pavilion and audience. They are wearing only civilian doublets. But that's the only data point - aside from Fiore having fought five duels in only a gambeson and light gloves. [If you know of others, I'm keen to know of them.]

I think there is a bit more evidence than that, we have the detailed account of the "Duel" Judicial combat) of Jarnac, which seems in terms of equipment to fall roughly in between blossfechten and harnischfechten as IIRC they wore mail shirts and helmets with light gloves but had no leg protection which is why Sieur la Châtaigneraie had his hamstring cut. We also have the drawings from Talhoffer and others which depict various types of garments such as tight leather suits, and there has been a bit more trolling of records some people have been posting on the Schola Gladiatoria forum.

Of course much is still left open to speculation, educated guessing, or "conjecture"

Quote:

3. My quibble is in how cutting exercises are performed; i.e., do they represent tactical realities?

I think the bottom line here is we don't know the tactical realities even within the narrow confines of judicial combat, certainly not for street fights or bandit attacks. But to me the bottom line is, is it really harmful to fencing to learn to cut well?

Quote:
The groundbreaking work of Thomas Stoeppler convinced me this was much over-interpreted on my part.

One thing I have noticed in the past ten years is that we tend to see saw from one direction to another, usually overreaching in our interpetations, and none of these seem to last intact more than a couple of years. Which is why it is brave to publish interpretation books.

Quote:

4. Regarding the assumption of threat from a mortally wounded man: d'accord! (snip). The Thott Codex's decapitation stroke, clearly done in the Krieg, I believe viscerally attests this.
Good so we agree that there is a use for a quick followup cut after say, severing a hand.

Quote:

So, in short, yes: I think we should cut. That's one of the pitfalls for folks coming out of stick fighting arts, for instance - the reality of an edge, and control of the alignment of said edge, isn't part of their former training paradigm. I therefore think everyone should do some test-cutting, and, equally important, test thrusting.

Agreed.

Quote:
The debate lies in how this should be done and whether a cutting exercise moves from the realm of tactical reality to one of "how cool can this thing cut?" And, I like the latter too, but I think it's a test of the sword, and not the man.

I think cutting with precision, relaxed form and control I saw in Mikes video is far more useful for real fencing than the type of hewing cuts one usually sees in test-cutting. On this perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.

J

Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reported post
Jean,

It is no secret that you don't care for me, and that is fine - you have never posted to me on this forum except to tell me I'm wrong or accuse me of being either an elitist or misreading history. So, I knew that would be your response. But a test-cutting video proves nothing. If I use a $200 katana and a custom made arming sword by Peter Johnson, which do you think I expect to do better?

Sure the Brescia may out perform a given Type XII, but comparing one particular sword to a class of swords is not a direct comparison. You have a class of weapons, and then within that class the skills of any individual maker also bears out. As Christian said, the Durer and Munich are virtually identical, yet the former cuts better - it has better edge geometry.

The simple truth is that blade morphology is not a "meme", there is a clear, well known reason why blades have the shape that they do, and again, you can read the words of experts to verify that. Nothing I said is radical or unusual. There is a reason rondel daggers emphasize thrusting and are shaped the way they are, likewise rapiers or smallswords, and there is a reason why kenjutsu, which focuses on the cut, has a weapon with a gradual curve.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about a tool for cutting through heavy, resistant brush? Here we have the machete - these tools (which looks suspiciously like falchions or messers) show us the optimum shape for hewing blows.

I think machetes are single edged because they are only intended for cutting wood, not for fighting, therefore there is no need for going through the expense and / or time of making another edge (in fact it makes it more dangerous to use in case it bounces back). I don't think having two edges necessarily makes a sword cut worse (it doesn't even necesarily effect the curvature of the sword since most sabers don't curve that acutely). An axe-head with a thick wedge-like shape is excellent for hewing wood, but was never used for battle axes intended for combat, partially because that shape is not necessarily efficient for hewing flesh. I don't think there is an automatic correlation between tools and weapons.

And most machetes don't cut very well compared to swords regardless how much or how well you sharpen them.

Anyway, I'm aware this is an axiomatic position that curved blades cut better, but I am challenging that, I'd like to see evidence. I think what maks a sword cut well is far more complex than many of us (even Ewart Oakeshott) have assumed and practical cutting experiments can teach us many things we may find surprising, (as they already have).

J

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

I agree with most of your post, including your last sentiment. I'd far rather see people doing Mike's cuts than some of the silly show-off stuff that's online.

My critique arises from a) what I feel is an over-stressing of full blows and b) my opinion that a full blow from above followed by a full blow from below doesn't represent any possible reality. Liechtenauer says to approach striking the head or chest. Given that, there's no way you're going cleanly all the way through, from upper right diagonally to lower left, in a fashion would allow the 2nd blow.

Even that doesn't mean the exercise is useless though. But to me it's important to realize where a cutting exercise is just that, and adjust its relevance and importance in the overall training regime.

Regarding bravery in publishing interpretation....I suppose there's an element of that. But, from my perspective, the error bars get smaller as we go. Within a year of coming out with "Secrets" I had a LOT of stuff I'd wished I done differently. But after several years since publishing "Fighting...", I have far fewer regrets. And I think this is because the knowledge base has grown and many basics are established. Few people argue about what a Zwerchhau is these days; instead, we debate how to do one most efficiency, focusing on subtleties. I think that's a pretty good place to be in right now. So, yes, some bravery is required, but less and less all the time. Happy

Cheers,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Jean,

It is no secret that you don't care for me, and that is fine - you have never posted to me on this forum except to tell me I'm wrong or accuse me of being either an elitist or misreading history. So, I knew that would be your response. But a test-cutting video proves nothing. If I use a $200 katana and a custom made arming sword by Peter Johnson, which do you think I expect to do better?

Sure the Brescia may out perform a given Type XII, but comparing one particular sword to a class of swords is not a direct comparison. You have a class of weapons, and then within that class the skills of any individual maker also bears out. As Christian said, the Durer and Munich are virtually identical, yet the former cuts better - it has better edge geometry.

The simple truth is that blade morphology is not a "meme", there is a clear, well known reason why blades have the shape that they do, and again, you can read the words of experts to verify that. Nothing I said is radical or unusual. There is a reason rondel daggers emphasize thrusting and are shaped the way they are, likewise rapiers or smallswords, and there is a reason why kenjutsu, which focuses on the cut, has a weapon with a gradual curve.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg,

I'm sorry that you feel I'm personally attacking you, I am not. I simply disagree.

I realize that there are various opinions about blade morophology, and I agree with you about roundel daggers, but I don't think we know as much about about cutting as we do about piercing mechanics; the latter has been studied very carefully due to modern ballistics. Cutting in it's various forms (like an axe, like a strait razor...) has been neglected since the days Oakeshott pointed out that nobody was even looking at the blade shapes of swords... and we are still catching up.

A curved blade may be one of the many factors which determine how well a sword cuts different types of media, but I don't agree with you that it is the definitive factor or that sabers cut better than other types of swords.

I think kenjustu focuses on a weapon with a gradual curve because Samurai were armed with katanas which are a type of saber. Samurai were originally cavalry and cavalry use sabers (for a variety of reasons including weapon retention in a ride-by cut) which the Japanese inherited from the Chinese dao.

J

Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

When you want to assert a position that says that the writings of arms and armour scholars, weapon makers, swordsmen who teach living traditions and used swords in battle (be that Burton, Lonnergan, Yagyu Muneori, whomever) are in era on a fundamental principle, then the burden falls to *you* to give the evidence that supports that. Personal opinion, test-cutting with a few replicas and saying "I don't think so" really doesn't count - which, of course, is what you just told me. The difference is that my comments are the accepted paradigm, you are the one challenging that - good scholarship says *based on what*? I have no problem with your asserting this, but doing so without precise evidence really gives nothing to go on besides "it is all opinion" and therefore equal, and that isn't true.

Best,

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Pardon the interruption but some areas did have pretty strict guidelines for some armour and there is actually a fair amount of armour regulation overall in England.

Precious few if any of these textile armors were being made to a rigid pattern

I mention this in passing, as it has been some simple snippets of English regulation but there was a linen armourers guild.

http://www.takver.com/history/benefit/ctormys.htm
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/Sbook.html

I'd extract specifics for you but others may enjoy exploring in tandem to their works of European swordsmanship. there is a great amount of source material that may often be overlooked in general overviews of economy and the trades. The design of and construction of all armours is not a field I study a great deal but I do run into (specifically in England but apparent abroad as well) these notes.

Edward III was a patron of linen armour guild and (as I read it) more or less bought his ticket in but there surely must have been more than passing interest in him regarding the "how tos" and "whys".

Anyway, just a note

Cheers

GC

Thanks for posting, this is very interesting and useful. It sounds like there was more standardizationn than I thought in textile armor in England in certain periods.

One has to remember however, the relatively unified kingdoms England and France which are typically our models for Medieval life, do not correlate perfectly with the HRE or Italy, where you effectively have scores of overlapping jurisdictions, many if not most towns had their own laws and their own armies, and any standards they had would be juxtuposed against many others.

Some of the armor producing regions had guilds, some most notably Milan which was the most important armor maker in Europe, did not.

Textile armor, and any armor, used for ordinary infantry would often be ad-hoc for an army in the field. A given army in the 15th -16th Century Central Europe could have say Swiss, Czech, Moravian, Flemish, Catalan, Genoan, and Scottish soldiers, and many mercenary companies (including most of the officially recongized Landsknecht companies) were immune to sumptuary laws and made a point of eschewing social and legal norms for both clothing and armor. So the standards of textile armor and every type of kit might still be a bit difficult to keep up with, IMO.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Fri 25 Jun, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Jean,

When you want to assert a position that says that the writings of arms and armour scholars, weapon makers, swordsmen who teach living traditions and used swords in battle (be that Burton, Lonnergan, Yagyu Muneori, whomever) are in era on a fundamental principle, then the burden falls to *you* to give the evidence that supports that. Personal opinion, test-cutting with a few replicas and saying "I don't think so" really doesn't count - which, of course, is what you just told me. The difference is that my comments are the accepted paradigm, you are the one challenging that - good scholarship says *based on what*? I have no problem with your asserting this, but doing so without precise evidence really gives nothing to go on besides "it is all opinion" and therefore equal, and that isn't true.

Best,

Greg

Greg,

You seem to be saying your position is the consensus mainly because you say it is.

Perhaps this argument convinces other people reading the thread, but I still "don't think so."

J

Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Anyway, I'm aware this is an axiomatic position that curved blades cut better, but I am challenging that, I'd like to see evidence. I think what maks a sword cut well is far more complex than many of us (even Ewart Oakeshott) have assumed and practical cutting experiments can teach us many things we may find surprising, (as they already have).

Curvature is a means to an end; it doesn't do anything for cutting directly.

(1) Strike with the edge angled relative to the motion into the target, and you decrease the edge angle as seen by the target. Effect: the blade looks sharper, cuts better.

(2) Strike drawing the blade over the target, and you'll cut better.

These are the central elements of the supposedly scientific basis of the superiority of curved bladed for cutting. But these are correct - sharpness makes cutting easier, and slicing makes cutting easier. So, it really is a good scientific basis.

Sufficient curvature will automatically give the first, and can help with the 2nd. But there are ways other than curvature to achieve these. There are plenty of other factors, too. Speed, energy, etc.

"Curved blades cut better" is a simplification. "Curved blades cut better in untrained hands, cetera paribus" may even be correct. That it is a simplification, and cetera paribus, do seem to be ignored or forgotten rather too often.

Consider old-style tachi with a deep curve at the hilt, but little curve in the blade. This design achieves (1) very well, and really helps with (2), even hitting in mid-blade. Compare a typical katana, striking mid-blade.

(1) and (2) are also why one gets better penetration with a dagger point rather than a chisel point.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:

Greg,

You seem to be saying your position is the consensus mainly because you say it is.

Perhaps this argument convinces other people reading the thread, but I still "don't think so."

J

No Jean, I'm not saying that. Crack open Sword in the Age of Chivalry, Burton's History of the Sword, etc. Why not read what fencing masters said about impact and draw when cutting with the heavy sabre and broadsword?

How well something cuts as opposed to simply slices is a factor of percussion and draw. Timo is correct in what he says above. But if we are analyzing how well something cuts as a tool, we are looking at the question of the tool's morphology, not the wielder. You can give a $5000 custom sword to someone have them destroy it, and a good swordsman can cut with a cheap, mass produced Indian sword. So I am speaking to the tool itself.

The more curved a blade is the more it draws, the straighter - or forward curved, like a khukri or falcata - the more it impacts. That is why an axe hits harder than a sword - the edge is forward of the lever arm. That isn't opinion, Jean, it's physics. A falcata mimics that function by sweeping the blade forward of the hilt.

A straight bladed sword hits with a great deal of percussive power and sufficient draw to cut. But you still need to have enough *mass* in the last quarter of the blade to actually have it cut through the target. Again, it is not a secret that a Viking sword, as a rule, cuts better than a Type XV sword, as a rule, and both cut better than a rapier. That is because of mass and edge geometry.

A very curved weapon, like the tulwar, slices well but the extreme curve of the blade means that it is drawing along the surface, with less percussive impact into the target.

Remember, by comments about rondels vs bowie knives was not about *thrusting*, it was why one is a better cutting knife than the other. The same holds true for a kriegmesser or Swiss sabre over a longsword. That still requires *all things being equal* in terms of the quality of the weapons involved. If the sword is poorly balanced, has a dull edge, poor edge geometry, whatever, well, it isn't going to cut well no matter what type of weapon it is.

I would like to know what you think the purpose of falchions, backswords, sabres and kriegmessers were, if they are as a rule less ideal to thrust (other than backsword), and no better at cutting? Why do you think that we see a return to broad, straight blades and the adoption of sabres as armour wanes on the field?

So, again, Jean, your opinions are based on *what*, besides a general love of always telling me that I hold an artificial consensus opinion? Wink I have no problem disagreeing or debating, but "I don't think so, because these are the replicas I cut with" is not any sort of scientific data.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an opinion on this, based on experimentation, cutting training, and knowledge accumulated from people with more experience than me as well as from various texts on the subject.

There are two factors to cutting: hacking and slicing. The hack is the force and velocity of impact of the edge into the target that bites straight in, the slice is the drawing of the sword along the target that severs. Both combine to create an effective cut. A cut that involves mostly the hack will penetrate deeply into some media (e.g. flesh) while not at all into other media (even a few layers of cloth can stop it). A cut that involves mostly the slice, to grossly simplify matters, is kind of the opposite. It can get through some media (e.g. linen, silk, etc.) better, but does not penetrate deeply into a target.

What helps a "hack":

1. Leading with the point (ie the part of the sword you want to impact the target) as opposed to striking with the point at an angle to the target.
2. Velocity.
3. Edge aligned perfectly with the target.
4. Stiffness (flexibility will absorb some of the impact force and distort the blade in the target requiring more energy to keep moving).
5. Mass at the impact point. The more mass, the more momentum it has, the more energy it has to move deeper.
6. Shape. The thicker the sword, the more resitance it will have to overcome to keep moving, but the stiffer it will be.
7. Length, because it increases velocity at the tip. But length can also hurt factor 4.

I would list curvature, because it presents less of the edge to the target at any given time, but it reduces factor 1, which has a greater effect, and depending on the degree of curvature, can reduce factor 5.

What helps a "slice": (I prefer the term "draw")

1. The movement of the edge along the target. This can be the result of curvature or the hands of the operator, or a combination. Curvature helps this, reverse curvature hurts it unless some sort of technique is used to take advantage of it.
2. Edge aligned perfectly with the target.
3. Stiffness. A distorted sword shape moves some of the edge off of alignment and may even turn it partially sideways to the direction of motion.
4. Length. The longer the sword, the more you have to draw along the target without having to strike too close to the hilt (which hurts velocity).

A katana cuts better than a longsword becaue it is stiffer, not because it is curved. What it gains in slicing power it loses in hacking power. Straight or almost straight katana, in my experience, cut no worse than curved ones. It also cuts better than a kriegsmesser, unless those weapons have sufficiently more mass at the impatct point to overcome their greater flexibility, which they often do. However, the curve of the katana may improve its cutting against certain targets, such as people wearing silk, because slicing works better against textiles than does hacking. So against some target types, the katana cuts better because it is stiffer and because it is curved.

Some things are complicated, because when you adjust something to make it cut better, that adjustment can affect other properties that can make it cut worse.

For example:

The length of a sword works for and against a cut. A shorter sword is stiffer, but develops less velocity at the tip. There is a sweet spot, naturally, which also depends on thickness.

The wider and thinner the sword, the less resistance it has to penetration, but the more flexible it becomes, which distorts it's shape and makes cutting harder. This is why I believe type XII and XIII swords are generally technologically inferior to the later, stiffer designes, such as the XVI or XIV.

Curvature can work against a sword because it descreases hacking to increase slicing. This would make it more effective against certain media at the expense of penetration and "damage."

A saber is curved, doesn't have much mass, but can be stiff. A katana is typically curved a bit less, which helps hacking, and typically has more mass near the point, which is why they typically cut better.

So those are my views on sword design. It's a complicated thing with no clear cut rules. Some sword types are generally inferior to others, but the reasons may not be what you'd expect.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,

I have a question for you. Why do you think broad double-edged cutting swords dominated infantry warfare in Europe for over 1000 years if curved swords or sabers cut better?

Quote:
Why do you think that we see a return to broad, straight blades and the adoption of sabres as armour wanes on the field?

I think you are making assumptions based on remnants of Victorian theories. Your argument echoes myths I've heard repeated many times by collegiate sport fencers describing the purported evolution of the blade.

Most curved swords around the world are cavalry sabers, with a few exceptions. Sabers rose because of the rise of light cavalry, not because the curved sword was an 'uber weapon' that cut better and not because straight swords worked better against armor (swords never worked very well against armor). During the heydey of the straight (spatha type) sword in Northern Europe most soldiers did not have any armor at all other than a shield and a helmet.

I think the adoption of sabers in the 17th - 18th Century AD occurred as infantry became armed with pikes and muskets and swords were no longer used as secondary weapons, but receeded to a tertiary role and in many cases discarded altogether. Only cavalry used swords as primary or secondary weapons, but this was increasingly light cavalry. Whereas heavy shock cavalry of the 12th - 16th Century whose role was to slug it out preferred the double-edged sword, light cavalry whose role was to make a ride-by cut and get away, generally preferred curved swords because they are much better for weapon retention.

A cut on a galloping horse roughly doubles the speed of impact, making it much harder to hold on to a sword. This is also why so many sabers (including the tachi) had a canted grip. Sabers slice, or draw-cut more efficiently, but they do not necessarily cut more efficiently than straight swords. Shock infantry as the Roman Legionnaires, Franks, Visigoths, Lombards, and Vikings tended to use strait double-edged swords by preference, even though curved swords were also available. The straight sword also remained in use throughout the heydey of shock cavalry, among the Normans, the French Chevaliers etc, and the English as they increasingly adopted heavy infantry ... even though curved swords were available the entire time. In fact the last really prominent heavy shock cavalry in Europe, the Polish winged Hussars, carried both sabers and a strait sword called a palasch, which was a cutting sword similar to a schiavona. The saber was used for a ride-by attack, the palasch for the pitched fight.

http://www.antiques-arms.com/catalog/images/hu7.jpg
http://www.russianswords.com/navy-palash-18555.JPG

They also had a third type of sword called a kanzer which was for thrusting like an estoc which was used like an indestructible short range (backup) lance.

Greg Mele wrote:
I would like to know what you think the purpose of falchions, backswords, sabres and kriegmessers were, if they are as a rule less ideal to thrust (other than backsword), and no better at cutting?

Sabers were cavalry weapons. Falchions and messers were 'poor mans' swords, good at cutting but also relatively cheap to make, and suitable for a particular fighting style. As I'm sure you are aware, many peasants and burghers carried messers or the smaller related baurenwehr or hauswehr or rugger type blades, because they were forbidden by sumptuary laws from carrying swords. Across the border in the Swiss confederacy where there were fewer sumptuary laws the baselard type swords were more popular.

Backswords and hangers were single edged but often did not have curved blades. There is a big difference between a straight single-edged sword and a saber with a curved blade.

Quote:
So, again, Jean, your opinions are based on *what*, besides a general love of always telling me that I hold an artificial consensus opinion? Wink

You seem to really have a persecution complex Greg, I don't honestly remember waging a campaign of trying to discredit you on myArmoury, and it's certainly not my agenda, I just didn't agree with you in this thread. I think Mikes cutting was good, useful for HEMA training and not in any way artificial. I don't think you know what you are talking about regarding sabers and I couldn't figure out why you and Christian were picking at his video. But to be honest I don't really remember discussing anything with you since I left SFI forum something like ... five years ago? I don't know where you get that I'm out to get you.

Quote:
I have no problem disagreeing or debating, but "I don't think so, because these are the replicas I cut with" is not any sort of scientific data.

Greg, you have provided not a whit of scientific data of any kind yourself, you have merely dropped some names and claimed to represent the consensus. You got very upset when I asked you a simple question namely if your claim about sabers was backed up with any data at all.

I have read Records of the Medieval Sword, I have read Sword in the Age of Chivalry, I have read Sir Richard Burton, I also know as many of the prominent people in the field of modern historical fencing and military archeology as you do (though we may disagree as to which people are prominent). I base my opinions on research into this subject for about twenty years and reading scores of books and even more academic articles over the years, as well as spending a lot of time test-cutting at fencing events and on my own and handling antiques and doing all of the same kind of things you have probably done. I just came to a different conclusion about this issue than you did.

The bottom line is, there are many types of cutting: draw cuts, percussive cuts, schnitts or 'pressing cuts', tip-cuts. There are many factors which effect cutting, length of the blade, width of the blade, thickness of the blade, curvature, weight, edge geometry, profile taper, distal taper, blade shape, balance, center of percussion, fullering, stiffness, metalurgy, polish / grind and of course, as Mike has demonstrated so aptly, technique. I don't think we fully understand the effects of all of these factors, and I don't think any one factor completely dominates the equation. Nevertheless I expect some scientific testing could be arranged and probably will be since interest in this type of testing is waxing. I wouldn't be surprised if something isn't done at the Royal Armories at Leeds or somewhere else in the near future.

In the meantime, neither you nor I clearly have any chance of convincing each other of anything, and I don't want to distress you too much more by disagreeing with you repeatedly, you are aware of my opinion and I am of yours.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Fri 25 Jun, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts
Page 5 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: