Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can we please let this rest? Our disagreements on this and other issues are well known. There is no need to repeat this argument every time I post a cutting video.
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike,

I just did. I only clarified for you why I was asking about rope cutting.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Mike,

I just did. I only clarified for you why I was asking about rope cutting.

Cheers,

Christian

Thank you.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey there, guys,

I'm responding *specifically* to Mike's reply to my post, and then his explanation in the post after that that he doesn't believe you really strike into Langeort/posta longa with half-cuts, and what that is based on. Not really interested in drawing out the rest of this debate.

Michael Edelson wrote:
Greg Mele wrote:

"This is the Text and Gloss of Another Lesson

If you strike close to him, no Changer will come to your shield.
To the head, to the body, do not shun the Tag-Hit.
Fight with the entire body, what you powerfully want to do.

Gloss – Note, this means that when you come to him in the Zufechten, use the entire strength of your body for whatever you intend to execute, and strike while approaching to his head or body and keep your point before his face or chest. This way he cannot change through before your point."

Yes, but this isn't really a cut to the body as cutting to take position and threaten him with your *point*, at least as I am reading it.

That seems to imply that you set out to fight assuming your first strike is going to miss, and you do it only to achieve a bind or change guards.

No, it means that I do it to take the center and place the point - just like you do in Zornhau Ort. I'd also point out that Vadi has the exact came advice, to cut into the attack so that your "point stands to his face".

I'll leave the German texts aside, but I will say that as regards the Italian material, you are specifically told to avoid full cuts in most circumstances and to strike to "long point" when going after the center of mass.That is more than sufficient, btw, to split a skull or cut off a hand.

That doesn't mean you don't use full cuts, but indeed one of the specific pieces of advice is to use them judiciously and rarely (see my comments above on axe-kicks), and to defeat full cuts with half-cuts. And this isn't just the longsword, it includes weapons like the spadone, which is 5.5 feet long.

This is also where over-comparing with JSA is dangerous, IMO. The katana is a very small weapon, especially after the Edo-era restrictions, being about the size of an arming sword (39"), with an even shorter blade (26" - 30" on average), even relative to the height difference between the Japanese and Europeans. It cannot counterattack in opposition as well because if that, and it does not thrust nearly as much. Consequently, the emphasis is to cut, and cut strongly. But even so, I can think of plenty of techniques that can be seen in classical JSA that also strike to the center-line.

Here is a great example, from the form of Shinkage Ryu maintained alongside Owari Kan Ryu sojutsu (spearmanship):

http://www.youtube.com/user/mekugi#p/u/187/XsfNuzJYBng

You can see it here, done without any contact in the swords, in a more stylized form, but while wearing yoroi (armour):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZmmljBu6Q&am...6LGQF0JKbQ

Note the very first technique in both clips, especially in the first one. Not only is this precisely what Vadi is talking about, it is Fiore's first play of the sword, crossing in the middle, up to and including the left foot being forward as we create the bind. (Essentially, this is Fiore's version of Zornhau-Ort.) This is a strike straight into long point.

Watch how that same action is made in the second play to create a bind, stifle his blow, and take the centerline - recapturing initiative in this case.

Again, watch the techniques here, and you will see both full and half cuts. And this is with, not the katana, but the *O-dachi* and for fighting in armour; you would think if any swordsmanship would rely on full cuts, exclusively.

Likewise, with the katana proper, the two most famous schools, because of their connection to the Tokugawa Shogunate, are Itto Ryu and Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. Here's a clip of both - note the reliance on half-cuts into what most styles call chudan no kamae (long point):

http://www.youtube.com/user/mekugi#p/u/185/bTM0qctatvk

Itto Ryu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jScJxtLdIBU

Itto Ryu is also where modern kendo derives. Note the giant kote (gloves) so that the bokken and strike with full force. And note that they are still half-cuts.

The arts that seem to focus on full cuts are ones that emphasize *iai* - which makes sense, you use iai because he has the drop on you - and test-cutting. My own JSA experience was much the same - we used full cuts when doing tameshigiri and in many solo kata, kumitachi were almost always half-cuts, even when we were out of measure for safety and could have made a full cut.

In this case, Mike, I think there is a risk of over-importing what you do in Toyama Ryu into HES without looking at the context of the HES source material, or where TYR technique fits into the larger context of JSA. As you yourself said, not all JSA emphasize the same actions or responses, so we can't say that "if I do xyz in A, I must do it in B".

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:

In this case, Mike, I think you are running a risk of over-importing what you do in Toyama Ryu without looking at the context of the actual source material you are reconstructing, or where TYR technique fits into the larger context of JSA.

Hi Greg,

I appreciate your concern, and in fact I share it. But I am taking steps to keep it from happening.

I don't disagree with anything you said, I value cuts to longpoint, and even higher. What I meant before was that you would not try to do that if you were trying to kill your opponent with your strike. At least that's how I see it. I recognize there are other points of view, and I respect that.

Stopping the sword at will is, I think, a very important skill, and something I've worked on for a very long time now. In fact my next video is going to show cutting with the sword ending up very close to the target. Assuming I can pull it off under pressure. Happy

But at the same time, a video showing tatami cutting will almost never end in long point, because that is not the kind of cut being shown in such a video. That doesn't mean the person doing the cutting doesn't practice that kind of cut.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

At the risk of veering to much off-topic, could you explain/ elaborate on the concept of controlling/keeping the center in Toyama Ryu and how it relates to half and full cuts? Or make this into a new thread?

Thank you,

Patrick
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick De Block wrote:
Michael,

At the risk of veering to much off-topic, could you explain/ elaborate on the concept of controlling/keeping the center in Toyama Ryu and how it relates to half and full cuts? Or make this into a new thread?

Thank you,

Patrick

I don't know about a new thread, considering how this one turned out, so I'll just PM you.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike,

Michael Edelson wrote:

But at the same time, a video showing tatami cutting will almost never end in long point, because that is not the kind of cut being shown in such a video. That doesn't mean the person doing the cutting doesn't practice that kind of cut.

While I don't agree that cutting to longpoint won't kill - I think it is quite clearly how the masters often want us to kill - I agree with this. That's one of the reasons that cutting something like green bamboo or rope is interesting - you can make that cut - whereas, cutting tatami is more about cutting *through*. All various subsets of the skill *cutting*.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice cutting form Michael, it looks effortless, if I hadn't cut tatami mats myself before I'd think it was easy.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
How well a sword cuts is a factor of how wide the blade is. Just like a bowie knife or messer outclasses a rondel dagger because of its wide belly, a sabre of any variety (and a katana is a sabre), is going to out-cut a Type XV sword,

Greg,

Do you have any evidence to back up this statement? The best-cutting western sword I've ever seen so far was the Brescia Spadona replica by Albion and it is in the ballpark of the type XV. I've seen test cutting with modern saber replicas (which wasn't very impressive) and I own an antique tulwar which cuts nicely but not as well as my Albion Constable replica.

If you have any evidence for this theory (with a saber other than a katana*) I'd like to see it.

J

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jean,

The best cutting sword I've used is the Albion Knecht.

The best cutting weapon is Ed Toton's custom Arms & Armor Glaive (it's in their custom gallery, btw).

We should also remember that modern reproductions of swords may, or may not, reflect the cutting ability of historic ones. As a for instance, the A&A Durer cuts much better than the Albion Munich, even though they both ostensibly recreate the same type.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Not all jacks are the same. Some were as little as 10 layers. Some were 20, some were 30, and probably everything in between. I can't cut through a 30 layer jack with a longsword, though I can easily do it with a katana. 10 layers, though, is easy. 20 is hard, and probably shouldn't be attempted in combat, but then there's your blunt trauma argument.

Agreed... and often would not know how thick or well made a jack is, you may not even be able to tell if one is there beneath someones clothing. Given pre-industrial manufacturing techniques made with a very wide range of skill (everything from a master armorer or tailor to a field expedient laced together mash up done by a soldier in a camp) you don't know what the failure point of any article of armor or clothing is going to be. I also think textile armor is vulnerable to incremental damage. The first cut might not kill or completely ruin the armor, but two or three cuts may make it functionally useless, and / or even worse for the wearer, falling off and getting in his way.

Quote:

The point is, it's never black and white. I've read statements from medieval regulations, etc. that describe jacks as being sword proof, but that always read as marketing propaganda to me. It's actually quite easy to thrust through a jack with a sword, so they're clearly not sword proof.

People have the strong urge to be very doctrinaire about fencing, and matters of historical reality, which we can't quite pin down. Many jacks had some form of reinforcement in a given area, but that coverage was not universal. Precious few if any of these textile armors were being made to a rigid pattern, so all of our theories about how things did and didn't work (or what kind of cuts you can and can't make in a fight) are going to be more effective if they are less brittle.

J

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

It's true - jack construction is all over the map. In fact, this is really a generic term for a large class of cloth defenses.

Some are vertically quilted, some rectangularly, and the number of layers and variations of accessory armours (mail, jack chains, plackarts, etc.) worn with them is astonishing.

However, my point was only this: nowhere in Blossfechten teachings does it say we better be able to cut through them. Maybe we should, and maybe we shouldn't, but lacking corroborative data, it's conjecture. And certainly, there's no evidence saying you need to cleave through a jack-armoured man - all the way through - such that you're able to deliver a second cut from the lower extremity on the opposite side. That would indeed be a super feat with any longsword. [But, maybe Ed's aforementioned glaive might do it!]

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,
It's true - jack construction is all over the map. In fact, this is really a generic term for a large class of cloth defenses.
Some are vertically quilted, some rectangularly, and the number of layers and variations of accessory armours (mail, jack chains, plackarts, etc.) worn with them is astonishing.

Exactly. Also things like whalebone, cuir boulli, ox-hide, buffalo hide, latten, brass as well as iron plates and mail stuffed or sewn or laced or riveted into jacks in various ways.

Quote:
However, my point was only this: nowhere in Blossfechten teachings does it say we better be able to cut through them. Maybe we should, and maybe we shouldn't, but lacking corroborative data, it's conjecture.

Well perhaps your quibble here is more with whether or not someone is training for a judicial combat or duel as is assumed in most of the fechtbuchen, or some other form of more generalized threat ranging from a mugging by bandits on a cross-country trip to a family or business or politics related vendetta erupting into violence at your own home or in the alley behind the tavern.

Even in 'blossfechten' judicial combats some protection was apparently often worn, as I'm sure you know, and in the fechtbuchen the specific mechanics of cutting are not heavily emphasized as you also know.

I think some of us enthusiasts get a bit confused when we apply the standards required for a professional academic or student in writing a peer reviewed paper, which tends to be an extremely conservative standard where you would only even mention something for which you had concrete and verifiable evidence, with training for period combat and / or discussions surrounding the reality of life in the Renaissance, which to me require a bit more common sense and moving beyond the limited scope of what we know for certain based on direct evidence. In other words, I don't have a problem with conjecture, I think almost every interpretation of every element of historical fencing we have now is based on some element of conjecture (for example, footwork in early Lichtenauer tradition fechtbuchen) and that is ok, that is part of learning to understand and how we can make the intuitive leap to link fragmented bits of data, because the data available to us does not create a contiguous uninterrupted model. Quite to the contrary.

As more data emerges less conjecture is necessary, but in the meantime I see it as a useful tool which should be used in moderation rather than a vice by definition. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this (like Dan.)

Quote:
And certainly, there's no evidence saying you need to cleave through a jack-armoured man - all the way through - such that you're able to deliver a second cut from the lower extremity on the opposite side. That would indeed be a super feat with any longsword. [But, maybe Ed's aforementioned glaive might do it!]

Cheers,

Christian

No but you were facing a man armed with a sword and a dagger, you might be able to cut through a wrist clad in textile armor and then back again to finish the man before he kills you with the other weapon in a death spasm.

There has been a lot of discussion recently on some HEMA forums regarding tournament rules and 'after-cuts', (which was also an issue much discussed for tournaments in period). I personally think anything you can do to minimize the threat of (even a mortally) wounded opponent is an excellent idea, and having the ability to cut swiftly in a followup seems like a skill which has no downside. Whether cutting is going to be the optimal form of attack against an opponent wearing a jack is a matter for 'conjecture', but given that jacks are not actually immune to cutting (especially if you have very good cutting technique) and given that predictability in a fight is generally detrimental (such as always thrusting perhaps?) I think having that option in your repertoire is a good idea.

Personally, I think most HEMA practitioners would do well to spend more of their training time cutting and learning to cut well, it certainly informs my fencing and I don't cut nearly enough. I'd like to do it more often.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Greg Mele wrote:

While I don't agree that cutting to longpoint won't kill - I think it is quite clearly how the masters often want us to kill - I agree with this. That's one of the reasons that cutting something like green bamboo or rope is interesting - you can make that cut - whereas, cutting tatami is more about cutting *through*. All various subsets of the skill *cutting*.

Above and beyond whether this will kill, it will knock you silly.

I've related on a number of occassions my own experience with being hit - at a mere 1/4 power - in the head with a blunt, single-handed, sword. The fact that I wasn't dead was irrelevant - I soon would've been, had this been a real fight and not an unfortunate training accident. The impact was staggering and left me senseless for a sufficient time that the next few blows would've taken me to pieces.

Someone doesn't need to die, be dismembered, or decapitated on the first stroke. All you need is for their fight to become 'disordered' and the rest is simple, effortless butchery.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

I'm not sure how much of this long thread you've read, but we're not far from agreement. I'm going to sum up, in list format. Please forgive the rather calculated nature of the list, but I'm off to bed in moments and just wanted to 'get it out there' for you.

Here we go:

1. I don't oppose cutting. In fact, we use it here as a 'sanity check': is your edge alignment good, can you generate power, etc?

2. We don't know what was worn in 15th c. unarmoured judicial duels. Our only clue, that I'm aware of, is the opening sequence in Codex Wallerstein, showing two champions before a pavilion and audience. They are wearing only civilian doublets. But that's the only data point - aside from Fiore having fought five duels in only a gambeson and light gloves. [If you know of others, I'm keen to know of them.]

3. My quibble is in how cutting exercises are performed; i.e., do they represent tactical realities? Mike's video shows excellent cutting form, arguably the cleanest I've seen from him. But I don't believe it translates into tactical reality. Jacks and doublets aside, in what situation would you use a full blow to cleave *all the way through* a target (a man) such that you could (or would need to) do a follow-on full blow from below? And that's the nature of my point: it's cool to cut like this, but if that sort of exercise becomes too big a part of your 'training reality', it skews your ideas of how a real encounter would work. That in turn skews your interpretation of technique, and so on. In particular, I have problems where we have lots of data, and not just from Liechtenauer, where we're told to modulate our attack to own the center, but then work hard at achieving full blows that don't reflect that tactical advice.

3a. I'd like to point out that the above does not represent 'sacred doctrine' but actually, for me at least, rather a reversal of it: it's one of the reasons I want to replace "Fighting with the German Longsword", where I stress full blows much more than I now believe they should be. The groundbreaking work of Thomas Stoeppler convinced me this was much over-interpreted on my part.

4. Regarding the assumption of threat from a mortally wounded man: d'accord! This is one reason I feel that William Carew has been right in chiding the community on not practicing exiting the fight correctly. Even if you lop a limb off, you can still be hurt, so you'd best have a "full threat termination" strategy or an exit strategy. I believe the lesson of the former is in Talhoffer: strike a half-cut to enter the fight and disorder him, then in close measure, kill him. The Thott Codex's decapitation stroke, clearly done in the Krieg, I believe viscerally attests this.

So, in short, yes: I think we should cut. That's one of the pitfalls for folks coming out of stick fighting arts, for instance - the reality of an edge, and control of the alignment of said edge, isn't part of their former training paradigm. I therefore think everyone should do some test-cutting, and, equally important, test thrusting. The debate lies in how this should be done and whether a cutting exercise moves from the realm of tactical reality to one of "how cool can this thing cut?" And, I like the latter too, but I think it's a test of the sword, and not the man.

Cheers,

Christian

PS. I guess the numbered format didn't help me write a shorter post after all! Wink

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Cory Winslow

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to make clear my *current* views on cutting.

There are only a handful of places in the main early Liechtenauer sources that explicitly describe cutting to the opponent first in the zufechten. The main ones are:

1. Gemaine Ler - Basic advice on cutting and following with the Zeckrur
2. Vier Versetzen - Using four special cuts to break the four guards
3. Zwei Hangen - Using Sprechfenster in the Zufechten

The first and third of these tell us to cut near to the head or body so that the point remains in front of the face or chest in order to get the opponent to parry, and thus open himself up for attack. He could do other things like use Zornort, but then we can just counter it.

The second tells us to cut to certain parts of the body with the Krump, Zwerch, Schiel, and Scheitel in certain ways that will leave us safe.

So we are advised in the first stage of the fight to either cut with an oberhau or unterhau so that the point menaces the face, or to attack him with one of the four cuts to defeat him when he stands in one of the four guards.

However, this doesn't mean that we never cut aiming to cleave the opponent. If there is any situation in which I am close enough to him that I can hit him with my edge and I feel that I am safe in doing so, then I would do the same as the man in that 1459 Thott Talhoffer Codex plate. So I personally think that cutting is a very important part of sword training, as long as we know what it is we are training for.

-Cory

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net

Last edited by Cory Winslow on Thu 24 Jun, 2010 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Cory,

Yup. That's pretty much where I am, which I think translates to: half-cuts from the Zufechten (with maybe offline cuts like Krumphau to the hands being a quasi exception); full blows if you can afford them to finish the fight. The latter definitely accords with that gruesome image in the '59 Talhoffer where the halberdier is dispatched.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cory,

I'd say that we are basically in agreement, and again, what is being cut off are usually limbs (hands) and heads, not through a torso.

Also, much like my comparison to things like axe kicks, it's a coup de gras or blow that is made because it can be done safely - usually to counter an attack, not break measure and attack first.

Jean Henri,

The Brescia is not a Type XV; it's usually considered a variant of a Type XVI, which is a much better cutting sword, because it has more blade pass in the last third of the sword. You can find several discussions regarding this weapon with Peter Johnson, as I recall, on this forum. A Type XV is something like the Talhoffer or the A&A Black Prince. A different weapon.

As regards sabres - again, it depends on how curved and how thin the blade is. Too curved, like a Tulwar, and you get a lot of slice, but less penetration. Of course, not all swords are *made* the same, either. Many military sabres of the 19th c were notoriously dull and had poor edge geometry - although the Sikhs found they performed quite well after resharpening them. Wink

As to sabres, messers, falchions, etc being maximized for cutting, well, does personal discussion with the late Ewart Oakeshott, David Edge and most recently, discussion with the curator of edged weapons at the Royal Armouries count? Not being glib, but this isn't a particularly radical position about the continuum of blade curvature, and has also been known among knife makers as general knowledge. Bowie knives cut a lot better than an Arkansas Toothpick for a reason. It is just physics at work.

Too curved and you get a lot of slice, but little percussion, straight and you get more percussion and less slice; too narrow and tapered (like a rapier) and the blade won't cut well. Katanas are good at what they do because they sit right between that continuum and are two-handed, as well. They are maximized for cutting, much as a Tulwar is maximized for slicing and a smallsword is maximized for the thrust.

I've also been able to handle the two-handed Swiss saber in the Wallace Collection and two Renaissance era falchions, and it is quite clear just by wielding the weapon what it is meant to do. I've had the chance to cut with two antique 18th c sabres, and you need to compare them to other single-handed swords. The 1796 sabre, very broad but very curved, did not cut as well as the infantry sabre, but then it was meant to *slice* through a target as a horseman rode past. Both were superior in the cut to a one-handed Type XV, like my A&A Urbino. Remember that I also mentioned how broad the blade was. There's a reason that 18th - 19th c broadswords are, well, broad, and not tapered like a Type XV - no armour, which means you are again emphasizing the cut.

Now, as regards to replicas, the Brescia cuts very well, but frankly, it was a piker compared to the Albion Knecht, which the folks at Albion were nice enough to let us cut with at WMAW 2007. And again, that is a gently curved, two-handed blade. For one-handed swords, the Reeve outperformed the Type XIV and the Soldat messer outperformed them both. And while that messer is more of a falchion, it is again the broad belly, gradual curve and single edge (thus with a thicker spine behind it) that made it cut so well.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pardon the interruption but some areas did have pretty strict guidelines for some armour and there is actually a fair amount of armour regulation overall in England.

Precious few if any of these textile armors were being made to a rigid pattern

I mention this in passing, as it has been some simple snippets of English regulation but there was a linen armourers guild.

http://www.takver.com/history/benefit/ctormys.htm
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/Sbook.html

I'd extract specifics for you but others may enjoy exploring in tandem to their works of European swordsmanship. there is a great amount of source material that may often be overlooked in general overviews of economy and the trades. The design of and construction of all armours is not a field I study a great deal but I do run into (specifically in England but apparent abroad as well) these notes.

Edward III was a patron of linen armour guild and (as I read it) more or less bought his ticket in but there surely must have been more than passing interest in him regarding the "how tos" and "whys".

Anyway, just a note

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: