I also have a sword that I don't know what it is
My grandfather gave me a sword around 10 years ago or so. His story was that while he was serving in Vietnam he found it. He was a 2nd infantry division sniper. The blade has nicks in it that I have been told are from combat. The decoration on the hilt and blade look Japanese or something. I believe that it is very old. The blade is not rusted and the hilt is in really good shape. But there is a moldy looking color under the handle. It is a very neat sword and I was just wondering what it is or what it is worth. If you reply i can send pictures. Thanks
Here are the pictures. You can see the asian looking writing on it. The handle is some kind of bone I'm guessing and the sheath is made of a wooden core with some type of skin or something over it. It has metal decorations and tied together with a string.

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/logancaseyhale/
Hmmm this is a wild guess... The sword looks like a Chinese Jian. The handle looks to be of bone, or some other organic material other then wood. The metal furniture of the hilt assembly is interesting. perhaps it is a sort of inlay that has a nice worn patina. For some reason when i look at this sword I also get a Tibetan feel about it. Just a wild guess... this is where someone with some knowledge chimes in...
I would also say chinese jian, and it would make sense as the chinese and indochinese had close relations, and conflicts, on and off , for the longest time. Many vietnamese are ethnic chinese, so that blade could fit in anywhere. It's a good looking piece, and feels much older than the period where your granddad found it, well worth having appraised by orientalists.
Nice find.
When you get a clear picture or transcription of the writing, that should help out a lot.
I'd say it's a Jian as well.

But as Chinese weapons aren't really my area of study, I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable in that area.
Hmm..
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have no knowledge about swords but I also think it looks like a Chinese Jian. I looked the Chinese Jian up on the internet and I found hundreds of photos, links, and forums. But, in my opinion, my sword looks to be MUCH older than any of the Jian I have seen. I am glad that the Chinese were in contact with the Vietnamese because I know my grandfather wouldn't have lied. I can not see any makers marks on the blade but I uploaded more pictures on this link. Thanks- Logan

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/logancaseyhale/
Jian. Dating uncertain. neat looking piece! what is the handle material - I can't tell from the photos. there were a great many Jians of this type made for the tourist market in the 19th century so you will need an expert to take a look if you want a firm idea on dating.

two people in the states that might be able to help you date/place the sword or blade (blade could be older than the hilt) are Scott Rodell at Seven Stars Trading and the Great River Taoist Center .......... and Philip Tom in Los Angeles who specializes in restoration work on chinese antique weapons. I don't have contact info on Phil Tom handy but you might be able to find a way to contact him with a bit of google, or via sword forum international.
The handle is made of bone.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: