Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Left handed archers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
back in the day as a wee lad you would be beaten with a stick the width of your fathers thumb and then watch as your mother was beaten for spawning a satanic child every time you reached out with your left hand Big Grin So no left handed archers Big Grin

True not that long ago as my father was probably naturally left handed but trained out of it and forced into being a right hander when he was a kid.

Even in the early 1950s teachers still tried to force little kids into being right handers as I remember my Mom telling me she had to have a serious talk with my first grade teacher to get her to stop doing it ! ( Thanks Mom. Wink Big Grin ).

Oh, by the way I have been training in longsword for the last 4 years as a right hander and I don't feel handicapped by it all all even if I am naturally left handed. I am able to translate the training to left handed use fairly easily by just reversing everything I learned and mirror image it when using the sword left handed although at this point it"s just easier to just play it right handed.

Being almost ambidextrous certainly help a lot. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a left hander and have been trained to fight right handed. If I try to fight left handed these days I feel most uncomfortable. I wish I had learned to fight both ways.
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Lefties were considered unlucky, cursed, etc. etc. (A lot like today) and were treated accordingly. I have heard that a man could not become a knight if he was left-handed. Left-handedness was generally considered a real bad thing in medieval times, without considering the possible advantages of it.

References please.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, here's just one of many-it took me about 20 seconds to find it. Good enough? www.dpjs.co.uk/lefthandpath.html#Origins
A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't vouch as to the accuracy, or exactly which emperors, but; some fairly impressive historical figures are claimed to have been left handed.

Tiberius , Roman emperor
Alexander the Great
Charlemagne, Holy Roman emperor
Julius Caesar, Roman general
Napoléon Bonaparte
King Louis XVI of France
Queen Victoria of England
King George II of England
King George VI of England
Prince Charles of England
Prince William of England

King Edward III of England suffered a stroke, and was not previously left handed. (I did not include him in the above list.) Joan of Arc was depicted left handed, possibly to further incriminate her.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

True not that long ago as my father was probably naturally left handed but trained out of it and forced into being a right hander when he was a kid.

Even in the early 1950s teachers still tried to force little kids into being right handers as I remember my Mom telling me she had to have a serious talk with my first grade teacher to get her to stop doing it ! ( Thanks Mom. Wink Big Grin ).

You too, huh? I remember being "corrected" (knuckles smacked with a ruler) by my Elementary school teacher in Baltimore back in the 50's for being left-handed. I got so confused I was actually writing backwards! As your Mom did, my Mom (God bless her) stormed into the school with me in tow and gave the teacher (and anyone else unfortunate enough to be in her path) a verbal thrashing that they probably STILL remember. I was left alone after that, but I always had noticed that my paper was angled differently than everyone else's. But at least I didn't feel like a freak, thanks to my own dear departed Mom's Grizzly Bear fury. It's true what they say-nobody loves you like your Mom.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Dean Whitlock

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Sorry Lafayette, but as a left handed archer I can attest to the fact that it is near impossible to shoot accurately using the non-dominant eye. The dominant arm also needs to be used, since it is usually stronger (letting you use a stronger bow). Now to you Zac, back in the day as a wee lad you would be beaten with a stick the width of your fathers thumb and then watch as your mother was beaten for spawning a satanic child every time you reached out with your left hand Big Grin So no left handed archers Big Grin

I am right-handed but have a dominant left eye. I have used a longbow only twice, for about a half and hour each time, but was able to hit the target within the rings most of the time. At 20-30 yards, I would guess, so no great feat, except for the lack of experience and training. In any case, I shot right-handed but aimed left-handed. So it can be done, and probably even done much better with practice.

As an aside, I am also missing the top joint-and-a-half on the middle and ring fingers of my right hand (lost an argument with a jointer). I drew the bowstring by holding it with those two stumps because index/middle was too unbalanced. So the old tale of the source of "the finger" is probably myth. Someone who wants to shoot a bow will use whatever fingers are there!

Dean
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
So the old tale of the source of "the finger" is probably myth.

Ha ha!! You'd be surprised how many people still believe this nonsense; particularly the Americanised 'bird' version!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just remembered-The Saxon Housecarls of King Harold's army were trained to use their Danish axes left-handed. In other words, swinging them from left to right. The reason for this was so they would be bringing their terror weapon in on the unshielded side of an advancing enemy unless some of THEM were lucky enough to be left-handed (See, it's not always a disadvantage to be a lefty).
Some illustrations in the Bayeaux Tapestry show the Housecarls using their axes in a left-handed manner (or at least so it appears). At Hastings there are many accounts of the horrors inflicted on the Normans by these left-handed professional warriors. Horses with their heads lopped off while their knights still rode them, both men and horses sheared clean through with a single blow, mail being ripped through as though it were silk, arms and legs lopped off etc. etc. Even allowing for some exaggeration, I don't doubt that this sort of thing did indeed happen all up and down the line. And woe betide any poor soldier less well-protected than the iron knights of Duke William's cavalry, who suffered heavily as it was. I personally would not trust ANY mail suit against a heavy blow by these axe-men, who were well skilled at the art of killing. So give left-handedness it's due-if not for the Housecarl losses Harold suffered at Stamford Bridge (possibly as much as two-thirds of his household troops), Hastings could very well have ended differently. They were two savage battles fought very close together with Herculean forced marches first up to one and then down to another-I feel it was almost a forgone conclusion that the Duke should prevail. And William goaded Harold by ravaging the countryside all around to bring him to battle sooner. Even so it was a very close thing. I feel sorry for Harold-everything was against him and he STILL almost won despite it all. A better and nobler man than the Duke by all accounts, but without William's ruthless ambition.

Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. whitlock, I believe that you would notice a significant difference in accuracy at 200 yards Big Grin And to you and Mr.Carnie, you can't pull back a 120 pound bow with your thumb and pinkie. Besides, they would also take your eyes and castrate you after lopping off a good part of your hand. Oh, and then the french would kill you. The "finger" meant I can still pluck my bow (ergo kill you like a dog)
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Mr. whitlock, I believe that you would notice a significant difference in accuracy at 200 yards Big Grin And to you and Mr.Carnie, you can't pull back a 120 pound bow with your thumb and pinkie. Besides, they would also take your eyes and castrate you after lopping off a good part of your hand. Oh, and then the french would kill you. The "finger" meant I can still pluck my bow (ergo kill you like a dog)

Tom,

I don't disagree with you. Unfortunately, there is no canonical evidence that this ever happened.

The story apparently has its roots in the 1970s. Originally, it referred to archers losing the first two fingers on their drawing hand, leading to the famous English 'two-finger salute' as a sign of defiance.

With the birth of the Internet the story got corrupted and Americanised to incorporate the middle finger (and its associated "Pluck yew" phrase). This version of the story seems to have appeared sometime in the mid 1990s.

Because the story has popular resonance, and ties the (lay) public to its historic roots it has been enthusiastically embraced; so much so, that it has gone from a good yarn to a 'fact'.

There is no basis in history for any of this nonsense. As you say, why would you waste time chopping particular fingers off a (peasant!) archer, before killing them? Why not, just kill them?

Unless you can find period sources describing this activity I feel we need to stop spreading this baseless mis-information.

There are far more interesting aspects of medieval archery, and so many questions still yet to be answered, rather than waste time peddling false 'facts'.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glennan is right. It is complete bollocks. It will remain bollocks until someone produces a primary source stating that it was done.
Dean Whitlock

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King is absolutely right about my shooting abilities - at 200 yards I'd have been lucky to even reach the target, let alone hit it! But I was shooting with absolutely no training or experience. I could have tried shooting left-handed to match my eye, but I know I would have failed completely. I learned to fence left-handed shortly after losing my two finger tips, in an attempt to strengthen my left-hand coordination - didn't work all that well, I am decidedly right-handed. But I am also very strongly left-eyed, and I think that, with practice and training, I could shoot a bow well. Master level? Probably not, but well enough to enjoy it. The problem for me has always been finding the time. Too many jobs, too many hobbies...

As for "the finger" - I enjoy the discussion but have to apologize for getting us off-topic. I side with the "myth" school and was glad to see the history of its arrival on the scene. Moving on...

I'm still interested in whether more evidence will turn up about left-handed archers in the medieval days. Was the left-hand ban/superstition/fear established by 1066? Apparently not, if Harold's housecarls wielded their axes left-handed. I wonder when it did become part of the culture? Was it purely due to Christianity and the firmer hold it established as time passed, or was it also part of the earlier pagan religions. There's undoubtedly a PhD thesis about this somewhere out there, if only we could find it.

Dean
Rick M.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that there were indeed left handed archers. Superstitions not withstanding, there is the written evidence of left handed swordsmanship being taught as mentioned earlier in this thread. In addition, I found a reference to a treatise written by an anonymous Frenchman in which he states " The foot of the side on which he holds the bow should be in front of the other". This indicates that the bow was held in either hand depending on the preference of the archer. The treatise is from 1515, a little later than the period under discussion, but only by a few years.

Rick
Douglas S

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I know that a longbow can be used in either hand, and it doesn't take much to adapt a bow for a lefty. Archers in ranks would be disturbed little by a lefty joining them. It does help to use the left eye in aiming, however; using the right eye in aiming a bow held in the right hand results in the string grazing the bracer too often.

When we wrote with pens with nibs, cursive writing required a right-hand grip. Certainly a shield wall would not fit together right if a lefty tried to fight on their side. But I think that archery may be a separate matter in this regard.

Biologically, left-handedness is fairly rare; we don't need to invent punishments and superstitions to justify this. There is certainly evidence of anti-left sentiment in history, but it doesn't necessarily tell how widespread it was in "those" days. Happy
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Carnie, you raised the point why not just kill them. The answer is because its terrible painful. It was a matter of torture as revenge for Crecy, agincourt, the siege of Caen, etc. The french would chop of the archers fingers, castration, blind them, and then mutilate them. Why? Because the french are sore losers, and they lost a lot Big Grin
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Sorry Lafayette, but as a left handed archer I can attest to the fact that it is near impossible to shoot accurately using the non-dominant eye. The dominant arm also needs to be used, since it is usually stronger (letting you use a stronger bow).

And sorry Tom, but that's nonsense. If you want to pull the "personal experience" card, I'm a right-eye-dominant archer who shoots right-handed most of the time, but I also shoot left-handed often. Just by closing my dominant right eye I can easily get a clear non-doubled image of the target. It works even better if I use an eyepatch or a blurred-out/blackened eyeglass lens over my right eye, because that way I won't have to distort my face just to get a good target image. Now, while my form and accuracy in left-handed shooting are not quite up to the level of my right-handed shooting (yet), I still can regularly achieve a (much) smoother shot and (much) better accuracy in left-handed shooting than most first- or second-year beginners in my club can with their usual right-handed shooting. So it's certainly not "near impossible" to aim and shoot accurately with the non-dominant eye.

There's no need to use the stronger arm either--the kind of archery we're discussing puts much more emphasis on the back and shoulder muscles than on the arms, at least when we're doing it correctly. Not to mention that archery mostly uses muscles that don't get used much in daily life, plus the fact that any sane archery instructor would start by giving a beginner a relatively light bow (not a full-powered one), and the need to use the stronger arm becomes little more than a weak excuse used by wannabe archers who are too lazy to develop the correct form and mindset for good shooting. (In other words, you build your archery musculature as you train, not before. So if any newbie gives me that "stronger arm" BS I always go the extra mile to wean them off that false concept.)

Don't forget to explain why Chinese and Near Eastern archery manuals disagree with you in that they think archers should ideally learn to shoot with both hands, especially on horseback.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Left handed archers
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: