Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about a "historical" sword/shield on EBay Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Question about a "historical" sword/shield on EBay         Reply with quote

Here is a point for discussion.

The seller claims this is a river find sword and shield. For those that have studied the real thing, is it really? To me, the fuller and point of the sword seem "wrong", but I haven't seen or handled enough of the originals to make a definitive identification. It also doesn't appear to be damascus steel, but just pitting and patina on the blade. Any thoughts or observations?

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...4&rd=1

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While it is always hard to judge stuff from pics alone, I think fish isn't the only thing fishy that could be found in that river. The fuller looks non-typical, and more what you could expect from low-end Central European reproduction swords. The shield is curious, too. All-metal shields are very rare before the 16th century, and shields without any visible means of attaching the grip and/or straps even more rare... $5600? Someone is going to take a huuuge risk...
My sword site
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Records of the Medieval Sword, I found an example of the hilt portion of the fuller on Xa.17 to be rounded off like this sword, but not both ends. I was originally bothered by the pommel, but found several variants from that period similar to this, so there is a shadow of doubt. Are engraved or inlayed letters/symbols the exception or the norm for this period? This sword apparently has none. Also, just because the shield was found nearby doesn't necessarily mean that they go together. Ahhh, to be able to own a "11-12th C." shield that has a genuine "shield hump"! Razz
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The bottom lines is that it's a fool errand to buy these kinds of things off of e-bay.

These kinds of items should be examined and documented by experts in the field beore a buyer should even consider a purchase.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The bottom lines is that it's a fool errand to buy these kinds of things off of e-bay.

These kinds of items should be examined and documented by experts in the field before a buyer should even consider a purchase.

Exactly! Perhaps that is WHY it is being sold on EBay. It is already up to $13,500 with 16 hrs to go. YEOW! Eek! One shouldn't consider buying anything like this at auction unless offered by a reputable auction house--though I realize that the "experts" aren't infallible either. I don't think that I've seen a confirmed historical sword of this era/condition go for this much at Hermann Historica in a while.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about a "historical" sword/shield on EBay
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic