Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you sharpen a sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: How do you sharpen a sword?         Reply with quote

Hello:

I've been a proud owner of a replica medieval sword for at least a year. Thanks to myArmoury.com, a few books, and an Agiltas.tv DVD I am much more familiar with how a sword was actually used. At the least, an intellectual void of historical interest has been filled. I do not, however, claim to be well practiced in the use of a sword.

Recently though, I've decided to finally practice with my sword on watermelons. But I forgot one simple issue until now: how do I sharpen my sword? This is different than sharpening a knife on a wet stone you get at a hardware store. Instead of applying the blade to the stone, do you apply the stone to the blade? Are there certain stones you should use?

Compared to swords many of you own, this is just a "cheap" antiqued Hanwei Bastard Sword I want to handle. It's still in its "out of the box" condition. Nothing has been done to it. The blade feels somewhat sharp, but not completely sharp. It cost a lot of money to me, and I don't want to accidentally ruin its blade. It's a nice sword.

I hope to get a custom sword made by A&A one of these days. So my Hanwei will be used for practice (not with people), and the other will be for impressing folks. Until then .... how do I sharpen my Hanwei Bastard Sword?

Help! The watermelons are laying siege to my home now! Surprised

- Le Chevalier Faulkner

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From our Spotlight Topics: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8019

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you sharpen a sword?         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:

Recently though, I've decided to finally practice with my sword on watermelons.

For watermelons, you don't need much sharpness. IME, butter-knife sharp (i.e., not at all sharp) will suffice for watermelons and many other fruits/vegetables.

Beware pumpkins! They're an entirely different kind of animal (insofar as vegetables can be animals). Pumpkins, at least the ones around here, are not simply a matter of sharpness.

Some other targets you might like to try will want more sharpness, but watermelons aren't very fussy.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you sharpen a sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic