Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My next from Michael Pikula/Volund Forge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As always, the guys at OlliN have done a great job too! Nice dagger. I really like the use of horn as the grip, it gives it a rustic feel.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
I once more had the pleasure of meeting with Michael in person. The result being that I now have in my possession this truly awesome glaive. Overall length is around 8 feet with a weight of right around 5 pounds. To say that Michael did an outstanding job would be an understatement in my opinion. Both the fit and finish is outstanding and it balances very nicely in the hand roughly a foot or so behind the head. With the drawing I sent Michael produced exactly the weapon I had in my minds eye. I would also suggest that anyone who is thinking about having Michael make them something do not hesitate and have him do it as quickly as possible. I already have another project in mind for Michael to make for me but that will not be until this fall unless the economy does a huge turn around.

Opinions and questions are of course welcome.

Scott

Are you sure about the 8' long overall as it looks more like 9.5 ' to me unless Michael shrunk down to a 5' tall Hobbit. Wink Laughing Out Loud

That is a scary big Glaive blade. Eek!

Oh and I think you are catching up to me as far as custom orders with Michael are concerned as I have to watch my budget for a while.

I also see he did the butt cap the same way he did it on my Winged Spear/Partisan: We all get to benefit from what he learns from one project as he applies it to other project. Big Grin Cool

How does the Glaive handle ? How much flex in the haft ? From what I can see you can chop them up with your Glaive while I poke at them with my Partisan or hook then with the wings defending that fantasy bridge Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
As always, the guys at OlliN have done a great job too! Nice dagger. I really like the use of horn as the grip, it gives it a rustic feel.

They sure do and are great to work with as well. It is amazing how lucky we are in the Chicago area with the number of people around who support our hobby! I had the good fortune to meet both Mark and Matt at Reenactor Fest this year as well as some of the people from The Guilde of St. Michael that was there. Mark and I went back and forth between antler, bone, or wood for the grip and then Mark found a piece of antler he liked and that is what we went with for it. The way I figure I can probably get away with using this knife for a very wide time frame if I wanted to.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
I once more had the pleasure of meeting with Michael in person. The result being that I now have in my possession this truly awesome glaive. Overall length is around 8 feet with a weight of right around 5 pounds. To say that Michael did an outstanding job would be an understatement in my opinion. Both the fit and finish is outstanding and it balances very nicely in the hand roughly a foot or so behind the head. With the drawing I sent Michael produced exactly the weapon I had in my minds eye. I would also suggest that anyone who is thinking about having Michael make them something do not hesitate and have him do it as quickly as possible. I already have another project in mind for Michael to make for me but that will not be until this fall unless the economy does a huge turn around.

Opinions and questions are of course welcome.

Scott

Are you sure about the 8' long overall as it looks more like 9.5 ' to me unless Michael shrunk down to a 5' tall Hobbit. Wink Laughing Out Loud

That is a scary big Glaive blade. Eek!

Oh and I think you are catching up to me as far as custom orders with Michael are concerned as I have to watch my budget for a while.

I also see he did the butt cap the same way he did it on my Winged Spear/Partisan: We all get to benefit from what he learns from one project as he applies it to other project. Big Grin Cool

How does the Glaive handle ? How much flex in the haft ? From what I can see you can chop them up with your Glaive while I poke at them with my Partisan or hook then with the wings defending that fantasy bridge Wink

Yes I am sure about the 8' length on this. It is mainly the perspective that the picture was taken at that makes it look so enormous, really.

I sent Michael the picture along with some rough dimensions and told him what I was looking for and he went to town and came up with this beautiful monster of a blade. He said he half thought of just making a scabbard for it and calling it a day. It would make a nice big knife of some kind!

I asked about having a butt cap made to protect the end of the shaft from being damaged when resting on the ground. He used what he learned from doing yours for this one and it is exactly what I wanted for it.

From the dry handling I have gotten to do with it very nicely I must say. The POB is roughly a foot behind the end of the socket when held one handed which translates to some nice weight forward. I expect that this will lead to very good chopping ability with it. I have not noticed much flex but of course only time will tell. This should be wicked with the jab since the point is nicely reinforced. Michael said he did some tests with it and it poked through his quenching barrel I believe he said nicely! I think we would admirably hold that bridge for quite some time with our two pole arms Jean.

I feel your pain in regards to having Michael make me something new Jean. As it stands the earliest will be towards the end of the year if I am lucky. I will have to see what this year brings forth in the way of challenges for the family.

Scott

Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I'm sorry if you already mentioned this but what date are we looking at here? I REALLY like your polearm BTW- especially the length- some out there seem too short to me.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jun, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jeremy,

I do not remember if I posted what date I was aiming for with this so will post it here just in case. My thought was right around the turn of the 14th century give or take say 15 years either way. I realize this is a large range. thank you, all I did was to send Michael the picture from the drawing and gave hims some rough measurements and he did the rest. I agree that a majority of the polearms on the market today are on the short side which is one of the reasons I asked Michael to make this the size it is. Gives me a nice reach advantage over most of what is available unless someone goes custom. I am sorerly tempted to remount my A&A 12th century spear head onto a longer haft. I will also drill the head at that point and rivet it to the haft if I decide to go that route.

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jun, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Hello Jeremy,

I do not remember if I posted what date I was aiming for with this so will post it here just in case. My thought was right around the turn of the 14th century give or take say 15 years either way. I realize this is a large range. thank you, all I did was to send Michael the picture from the drawing and gave hims some rough measurements and he did the rest. I agree that a majority of the polearms on the market today are on the short side which is one of the reasons I asked Michael to make this the size it is. Gives me a nice reach advantage over most of what is available unless someone goes custom. I am sorerly tempted to remount my A&A 12th century spear head onto a longer haft. I will also drill the head at that point and rivet it to the haft if I decide to go that route.

Mailing size restrictions combined with low ceilings sort of make an over 8' polearm a bit awkward to say the least and a 9' one I couldn't even hold vertically without gouging a large grove in my ceilings. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bryan Robbins

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that glave is WAY too pretty to actually work (though i bet it would cut strait through my wimpy maille, and plate, and me Eek! ) you really dont see that good of work these days, or so quick.
Question with boldness,

Speak without fear,

Hold to the truth.- Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My next from Michael Pikula/Volund Forge
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: