Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Great Tournament Melee Helm... What? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 

Would you want one if you could?
Yes.
40%
 40%  [ 29 ]
Nope.
41%
 41%  [ 30 ]
Maybe.
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 72

Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 23 Dec, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Behold, my thread necromancy!

Just wondering if there have been any developments with regrads to this thread and its sort-of-focus on Rene of Anjou gear?

I also read that Rene recomends an aketon/gambeson that's three fingers thick along the back, arms, and shoulders! I thought that was too thick, though someone suggested that that may be the compressed thickness.

Oh, and a bump with content. Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 5.12 KB
cuirass.gif
I'll attempt to get one...

Attachment: 6.33 KB
arms.gif
Gonna make the bottom ones out of cuir bouilli...

Attachment: 1.98 KB
hands.gif
Probably need a pair of these. The ones in the middle look awesome...

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tend to think that he's saying 3 fingers thickness down the back, rather than out from it, if that makes sense? So it's not padded all the way between shoulder and waist, just three fingers down from the shoulder.

Someone (not me) has finally put together a nice big selection of our edgecote photos:
link

And I've completely lost the picture of my friends perforated cuirass. Sorry about that.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for that Zac, I shall study these with great envy and interest.
Have a good one!

Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With regards to tourney armour (especially gauntlets) are there any existent finds (or repro's) that bare a resemblance to Rene's 'recommendations'?
I only ask as I'm now able to afford to commission the steel parts (I'm workin' on the cuir-bouilli arm rig), and am eager to get it on the role.

Edit: Now, whilst it is apparent that no shields are used in this form of tournament, what type of shield would you suggest be most appropriate to complete the ensemble'?

Attachment: 101.41 KB
ATourneyTrainingHelm..gif
Bump with content.

Attachment: 47.09 KB
ShieldTypeToMake.jpg
Something like this maybe.

William Frisbee

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny this comes up... as this is probably going to be one of my new helms for my early 15th century kit.

Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Repro tournament helm:

http://www.mardinus.home.pl/_en/oferta/helmy_pozne_01.php?id=112
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ William: Now that, good sir, is something I for one look forward to seeing.
@ Christopher: Well there you go, that's a first Surprised Visor doesnt look too bad (needs more brass/bronze/gold Laughing Out Loud ) but the actual helm bit doesn't quite gel with me.
Cheers guys!

Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can somebody please describe/post pictures how tho lower front lames ("gorget") are attached to great bascinet (like the one posted by William Frisbee) and how the head turns in it? Does the helmet turn, or does the head turn inside the helmet, or is the head restricted to only looking forward?
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
With regards to tourney armour (especially gauntlets) are there any existent finds (or repro's) that bare a resemblance to Rene's 'recommendations'?
I only ask as I'm now able to afford to commission the steel parts (I'm workin' on the cuir-bouilli arm rig), and am eager to get it on the role.

Not sure about the gauntlets. I've not seen any cuirasses as he suggests beyond repro's, and he states the leg armour should be just the normal field armour. Helmets you've already got quite a few examples of. If I were putting the kit together, I would work completely from the tournament book, as it would be great to be able to show the kit all together, with the book right next to it, detailing all the parts. Do you have an armourer in mind to commission the pieces from?

Sam Gordon Campbell wrote:
Edit: Now, whilst it is apparent that no shields are used in this form of tournament, what type of shield would you suggest be most appropriate to complete the ensemble'?

That shield would be perfect for the period. I'm personally making mine from carved oak, but we'll see how that works when someone starts breaking lances on it.

Aleksei Sosnovski wrote:
Can somebody please describe/post pictures how tho lower front lames ("gorget") are attached to great bascinet (like the one posted by William Frisbee) and how the head turns in it? Does the helmet turn, or does the head turn inside the helmet, or is the head restricted to only looking forward?

The helm should buckle to the breastplate, so that it is held in place. There is some small amount of movement for the head within the helm, but generally that style fell out of battlefield favour because of the lack of movement, and therefore visibility, it afforded. In tournees this wasn't as much of an issue, so they continued to be used as they were very protective.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
Not sure about the gauntlets. I've not seen any cuirasses as he suggests beyond repro's, and he states the leg armour should be just the normal field armour. Helmets you've already got quite a few examples of. If I were putting the kit together, I would work completely from the tournament book, as it would be great to be able to show the kit all together, with the book right next to it, detailing all the parts. Do you have an armourer in mind to commission the pieces from?

Well, the cuisse and poleyns (as you rightly point out) shouldn't be too difficult, however I wonder whether it would be worth investing and greaves and sabatons as well (even though, judging by the fact that the 'saddles' cover that area), that being said whilst I have the funds, by the gods are they tight Laughing Out Loud
actually, whilst it is true that there are many helms here, one thing that is odd is how the actual visors seem to differ from what are in the 'action scenes' (a good example being what you posted), and the other which can be seen in Daniel Staberg's post earlier in the thread. I am torn between them.
Oh, and fear not, diligent research *guffaw* in the translation means I'll not be straying far from the path if it can be helped! And when all is said and done, I'll be sure to post the results next to the pictures in both this thread and "Show us Your Kits and Harnesses" thread.
As to whether or not I have an armourer in mind, whilst I'd love to choose multiple armourers to work on multiple projects that I have in mind (like, I dunno, a kasten-brust jousting harness Wink ), it's sadly going to have to factor in cost. That being said I've thought about Red Hart Reproduction or maybe Talerwin Forge (Oh, and Manning imperial for the weapons and shield/s...). That being said anyone you can recommend would be swell, and if not this time around, there'll (hopefully) be a next!

Attachment: 122.11 KB
Great_Bascinet_1450-55_02.jpg
The neck in question for Aleksei.

Last edited by Sam Gordon Campbell on Thu 24 Mar, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since this thread seems to be morphing into other forms of great bascinet, check out this thread: Great bascinets and related helms.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Great Tournament Melee Helm... What?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: