Armour covered with fabric
Hi everybody,

I donīt remember where I read about this discussion, but Iīm posting an image I found sometime ago (iīm sorry because I don't remember who's the owner).

Iīve been with this doubt lately, we see the evolution of coat of plates into brigandines. I understand that the brigandine, althought has smaller plates, is better than the CoP because of itīs great mobility and follows the fashion of the time. And sewed in fabric is good against weather and easier to do than plate armour.

My doubt is why the plate armours, I mean the "full plate" like XV/XVI cent armours werenīt covered with fabric to protect against the weather? Or the armours which survived doesntīt have because the fabric didnīt survived? Also, they wore tunics over mail, and their brigandines were designed like their blasons. Why at the XV cent. armours the nobles didnīt have any distinguition?

These doubts came when I saw this piece of armour (mentioned in the beginning of this thread)

[ Linked Image ]

Sorry for any english mistakes, and thank a lot in advance!

In this painting there's lot of cloth...

And in this one caught my attention because of the legs.

Artistic freedom? Or linen or velvet covering?
If your question is only if plate armour was every covered by fabric the answer is yes. We know plate at times was covered by fabric as we have examples such as the Munich Breastplate that are just that.

The why it was done is a bigger question and one for which I think we have only good educated guesses.

RPM
Randall Moffett wrote:
If your question is only if plate armour was every covered by fabric the answer is yes. We know plate at times was covered by fabric as we have examples such as the Munich Breastplate that are just that.

The why it was done is a bigger question and one for which I think we have only good educated guesses.

RPM

Decoration, nice bright colours, protection from rust, hiding rust, fashion or status in being able to afford really expensive fabric and not seeming to care that it will have to be replaced or repaired over and over again at great cost ..... but hey that proves that you are so rich you don't care about the cost. ;) :lol:

Just a bunch of guesses and as Randall said we don't really know but if we list every possible reason that is even remotely probable we might have a couple of the likely answers. ( Although figuring out which is a good answer and which is just wild speculation is the fun part. :p :lol: ).

Randall let us know if I missed any obvious other alternative reasons. ;) :cool:
Thank you very much!

Those images really helped and I found a thread the munich breastplate.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

My doubt is gone! :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: