Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My Mom died today 25th may 2010 ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh Jean, I am so sorry my friend. My sympathies and prayers are with you and the rest of your family.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Condolences to you and your family
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

I'm so very sorry to have heard of this news belatedly. I wish you all the best in this coming period of sincerest realization about one of life's necessary, yet most sad happenings. Please rest assured that she will forever be at peace in your fondest memories.

Regards, Torsten
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cher Jean,

Permets-moi de m'adresser à toi en français. Nous ne nous connaissons pas personnellement mais je lis souvent tes interventions sur ce forum depuis des années et celle-ci m'a évidemment fort touché.
Perdre l'un de ses parents est l'une des plus grandes et plus difficiles épreuves de notre vie. Nous y passons ou passerons tous, dans la logique des choses. Perdre sa maman, c'est dire adieu à celle qui nous a mis au monde, celle avec laquelle le lien physique et spirituel est le plus puissant. Que l'on la perde à 1, 20, 40, ou 60 ans n'y change pas grand chose. J'espère juste qu'elle a eu une vie bien remplie, gaie et enrichissante, et qu'elle a été aimée autant qu'elle a aimé.
De toute façon, les êtres aimés ne meurent jamais, ils survivent dans le coeur et l'esprit de ceux qui restent et qui pensent à eux.

Je te souhaite énormément de courage pour surmonter ce mauvais moment

Cordialement,

David
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My condolences to you. I lost my Mom over 30 years ago and it's something you never really get over. Try to take some comfort in her long life and how she will live on in the lives of all those she has influenced during that time. Such people never really die.
A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just came back from the funeral service and it went better than I expected since talking to some good friends sort of took the edge off. Back home alone is a bit more difficult but that is to be expected.

The funeral home has a photo service where a pic is scanned and an artist retouches the pic and the resulting pic was a perfect resemblance of my Mom done in sepia. The pic I chose which was from 1945 when my Mom was frankly " VERY HOT ": She would have been very happy to know that people got to see her in her prime. ( Looked like a 1940's movie star and it came framed and looked like a painting .... very good artist !).

The funeral home did a decent job of making her look good in the coffin but it's almost impossible for them to get the smile that was always in the corners of her eyes when she was alive accurately, Muscle tone in a deceased person's face is just not the same and getting it perfect is not achievable I think: In some ways her looking just a bit different made it easier for me ironically but they did hide the damage from the 3 weeks of her stay in hospital very well and she looked more asleep than dead.

My longsword instructor came to pay his respects and stayed a good time talking to me and my friends: Very much appreciated and very kind.

Went to eat with some of my friends after the service and I could eat with a good appetite. It was also a beautiful sunny day today with a nice blue sky and the good company helped making a " challenging day into a sad but good memory.

Anyway, holding up as good or better than expected ...... so far ! I assume that there may be some darker moments at times when I start really missing her presence.

Good friends do make these things a lot easier than going through it alone.

Here is a translation of the short eulogy I spoke at the funeral translated from French:

Dear Mom, we had the luck of living together a long but much too short 60 years without any significant conflicts or secrets.

From the very beginning ( as soon as I could talk ) we have talked and discussed about everything and anything: Often just me talking in long monologues. Wink

I have never had any doubts about your unconditional love for me.

Since the death of my father and your husband Marcel ( in 1996 ) we have lived in harmony each living his or her life but sharing many beautiful moments.

Thank you for giving me life.

( Edited additional: Just in case is might be misinterpreted when my father was alive my relationship with him was as good as with my mother and that of my mother and father equally good with each other and we also talked and got along very well. ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 28 May, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Jean

Please accept my sincere condolences.
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.
My thoughts and my prayers are with you at this awful time.

I'm interested in Medieval Arms and Armor.
But... My English is very poor ><;
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ushio Kawana wrote:
Dear Jean

Please accept my sincere condolences.
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.
My thoughts and my prayers are with you at this awful time.

Thank you and very much appreciated.

Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In a difficult moment, it must be comforting for you to find such a large number of people from many countries, sincerely friendly towards you.
Perhaps only an illusion, but it can help, I think.
Ciao Jean. Happy

Ciao
Maurizio
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
In a difficult moment, it must be comforting for you to find such a large number of people from many countries, sincerely friendly towards you.
Perhaps only an illusion, but it can help, I think.
Ciao Jean. Happy

Yes it does and maybe it also helps others going through the same things as the words of comfort or the wise advice from others on how to get over this are also useful.

We all have to eventually face or have already faced changes in our lives when someone dear to us leaves us forever: It also does me a great deal of good to be able to express my feelings and ideas to many friends here, and to also relative, but very sympathetic strangers here.

Oh, and thanks Maurizio for a very true and insightful comment: Very much appreciated. Big Grin Cool

Carl Goff

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry for your loss, Jean. Sad
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: The Road Of Life         Reply with quote

As we grow older we face the sorrows of life which are inevitable...the death of our parents is one of those sorrows. I lost my mother in 1990 so I know the pain you feel at this time. Ninety years is a long life but gives little comfort to a son left behind and the other family members who loved her. She passed the torch of life to you who are her legacy and through you she lives on. Keep her memory alive in your heart and the hearts of those who loved her and she lives still in your hearts. The memories you have of her that you share with family and those who knew her help keep her alive. The ache in your heart will fade and only the happiness she brought you will remain there instead.
To Study The Edge of History
Brawn Barber

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,
at a time when words mean so little, I hope you feel some comfort in so many who wish you well as do I.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brawn Barber wrote:
Jean,
at a time when words mean so little, I hope you feel some comfort in so many who wish you well as do I.

Sometimes we say that words mean noting because we fear that our words are just inadequate or worse risk being platitudes but in fact the words themselves are not as important as knowing that others are at least trying to understand what one is going through and that their intent is to be helpful. ( Some have been through it themselves so they know and aren't guessing, but even those who don't know, know that they will eventually and do their best to imagine how it feels and in a way prepare themselves for their moments of sadness in hopefully the far far future ).

Bottoms line it is helpful and thanks.

Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family and friends during this time.
"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Jean,

I just returned home from a trip and saw this news here. My condolences to you and yours.

With respect,

Christian Tobler

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jean, sincerest sympathies and condolences to you and your family.
I am glad that you do not feel that there is unfinished business or regrets between you and your mother at an hour to late to mend.
My mother is still alive, and as I am young I expect (god willing) to have many years to enjoy her advice, comfort, and of course, motherly annoyances. And as such, I cannot in the truest sense feel your pain, but I can say that I (and the rest of myArmoury.com) express my utmost support and brotherly love in an otherwise trying time.
I am also very touched that the community of myArmoury is not just a bunch of bloggers. This community experiences a deeper bond, and it's not just getting off our computer chairs to attend Renaissance Fairs together.
I would go as far as to say that myArmoury and sword/armour/history communities are among the few of groups I have been in over a year and had absolutely NO second thoughts about.
Just saying, Jean, you have a support group of 20,000 people from all over the world right here.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
Hello Jean, sincerest sympathies and condolences to you and your family.
I am glad that you do not feel that there is unfinished business or regrets between you and your mother at an hour to late to mend.
My mother is still alive, and as I am young I expect (god willing) to have many years to enjoy her advice, comfort, and of course, motherly annoyances. And as such, I cannot in the truest sense feel your pain, but I can say that I (and the rest of myArmoury.com) express my utmost support and brotherly love in an otherwise trying time.
I am also very touched that the community of myArmoury is not just a bunch of bloggers. This community experiences a deeper bond, and it's not just getting off our computer chairs to attend Renaissance Fairs together.
I would go as far as to say that myArmoury and sword/armour/history communities are among the few of groups I have been in over a year and had absolutely NO second thoughts about.
Just saying, Jean, you have a support group of 20,000 people from all over the world right here.

Yes I agree and if " myArmoury " wasn't a place of friends and respect I wouldn't have brought the subject up as aTopic or mentioned it in a post.

Certainly if one is one's twenties or thirties ( or even younger ) and one's parents are in good heath their eventual deaths seem remote and far away in time, and with any luck, it won't happen for a long long time but it's still useful to think in advance of the eventuality and both prepare for it and avoid taking their current presence for granted.

Thanks again for all the most recent posts of sympathy and they are all very much appreciated.

Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, were glad that we can help.
and by the way, I'm 15 years of age, and my parents are in their late 40s, and still very good of health (as I am the only diabetic, I am the unhealthiest/most risk of sudden medical death member of the family Laughing Out Loud ) so unless something very, very unexpected happens, I expect them to be around.
But no matter what age, or health condition, those are true words never to take the presence and love and comfort of your parents for granted.
Even if the Bruce Wayne terrible unexpected parent death scenario never unfolds, I think it would still do some good as to improve your relationship at the least.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Manouchehr M.

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Jean,

My friend. My condolences to you. I am so sorry to see this thread just now. I have been so busy. Sorry my friend and all the best for you. I wish you all the strength.

Kind regards
Manouchehr

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My Mom died today 25th may 2010 !
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: