Yanone (Japanese arrowhead) in sashikomi polish
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a Japanese arrowhead (yanone) I just acquired. Most Japanese polishers do not work on yanone for a variety of reasons, so it can be tricky to find them in good condition. But the better examples were folded and heat treated just like Japanese swords, so they can have hada and hamon just like their "big brothers."

This example is doubly unusual in that it has what is called a sashikomi polish. The popular form of modern polish is called kesho, and involves an artistic whitening and contrasting between the hamon and the rest of the steel. In contrast, sashikomi has lower contrast, but can be a better choice for certain styles of hamon that kesho might blur over. For instance, Mino swords with sambon-sugi hamon (three trees) are sometimes polished in sashikomi to retain the distinctive look of the well-defined triple peaks.

Anyway, I'm really happy with it and I hope you enjoy the photos!

Attachment: 200.56 KB
Yanone-0.jpg

Attachment: 151.5 KB
Yanone-1.jpg

Attachment: 146.06 KB
Yanone-3.jpg

Attachment: 114.21 KB
Yanone-4.jpg

Hi Gabriel,

Very nice, thanks for sharing. What are the dimensions and do you have any pics showing the nakago?

Cheers

Jason
Hi Jason,

The point is about 2.5" and the nakago 5.4". Photo is attached (not a great photo, but good enough for dimensions).

Cheers,
—GLL

Attachment: 74.15 KB
Yanone-5.jpg

Nice as it is in photos, I bet that's really a beauty in person.
Thanks Gabriel

That is a really nice example indeed!

Cheers

Jason

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: