Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are there any tapestry kits? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Are there any tapestry kits?         Reply with quote

Hello:

This might be somewhat "off-topic" for this web site, but I was wondering if there are any medieval tapestry kits available on the market. I suppose I am refering to something like the cross-stitching my sister does on a smaller scale compared to tapestries.

It simply occurred to me it would be nice to have a reproduction tapestry one day to go with the weapons and armor I hope to collect. I admire the ones I've seen in the Armeria Real in Madrid, and several in Germany too. They are so colorful and artistic.

I'd like to have one depicting a battle, or maybe a pastoral scene. Perhaps carpet stores carry reproduction tapestries, but I'm sure they would cost a small fortune. I'll ask them sometime.

Thanks! Big Grin

Sincerely,
Dustin Faulkner
Texas

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something like this?
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran867-0.html

Note that there's a big difference between tapestry and embroidery. I would think that the kind of tapestry you're looking at is pretty much beyond anybody without specialized tools and many years to learn. Cross stitch, on the other hand, is much easier and would be historically appropriate for something like these Bayeaux kits or for your own designs of the same period. This kit is out of production, but Bayeaux images are readily available. You could sketch a design based on those and just fill in the spaces with stitches.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like your style Dustin!

I too aspire to have a well-rounded medieval display one day. I never thought to look for Bayeaux Tapestry reproductions but your general question and Sean's link prompted me to do so. (Alas, I have no "embriodery-compliant" sisters.) This might be a good option for you because it looks like those kits are discontinued.

http://www.european-wall-tapestries.com/store...5QodiR1zLQ

Just for fun, you should get your sister to commit to a full-size reproduction by telling her it's "about a foot and a half high," then tell her it's 230 feet long. Happy

On a somewhat related note, I've had my eye on these authentic looking banners and pennons for quite awhile. Battle flags would definitey look sharp with a medieval weapons collection! http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Historic...nners.html

Hey, anybody around here have a display like that?? (tapestries, flags, etc.) Would love to see some community pics of nice displays!
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Tapestry         Reply with quote

Dustin,

Valentine Armouries carried tapestrys a few years back. Although Rob closed his shop in Canada he still has a web site. Drop him an inquiry; he is a very pleasant guy to deal with and I'm sure you'll get a quick answer.

Dan

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are there any tapestry kits?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic