Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Importance of point of balance Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 May, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
Pendulum test is good, works well enough even holding the sword. Ideally, you want the sword suspended e.g. on a string. For a "standard" pendulum test, suspension at the bottom of the grip/top of the cross will work.

The waggle test gives the same result, needs more instruction/practice, needs less equipment (pendulum test needs at least either a pendulum or a stopwatch).

For the ultimate test, measure the moment of inertia about the CoM directly by suspending from a torsion pendulum. Not that bad for equipment, just need a wire and a clamp (or two), a stopwatch, and calibration (e.g., using a known rod). I haven't set up one of these yet, but have done this in the past on non-swords - 'tis easy.

Of these I prefer the waggle test for these reasons:
  • Equipment, as you say
  • It is somewhat satisfying to measure handling, something that involves hand and eye, by hand and eye only Happy
  • It needs zero computation (for the most direct variant, if you want to correlate several tests done at different points it's more complicated of course). Therefore there is no need to use a formula that not everyone understands.
I think what is needed now is not a more accurate measurement, but an interpretation of the most basic measurement. Hopefully the article I prepare will contribute to that...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Sat 22 May, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo, if I'm interpreting your response correctly, you're missing my point.

Take the most extreme simplified form of what I described--sword and body taken as a unit--consider the two extremes of a singular wrist point of rotation and a singular shoulder point of rotation. In my own case, that's a twenty inch variation. Just as importantly, consider the supposition (not always correct) that the pommel's function is at least in part as a "counterbalance." In the first simplified case, a wrist rotation, this is true. In a simplified shoulder rotation--full arm extension--the pommel serves NO counterbalance function whatsoever.

Thus, the moment of inertia of a sword as a sole object might be calculable, but the variation within the set when the sword and arm are treated as a unit is far greater than between any swords. This considerable variance in moment of inertia even among the same sword in different strokes might well make something as subjective as "feel" not dependent on it--and would corroborate others' claims. (Which, albeit subjectively, I must concur with. I too seem to find that any two swords with identical weights and balance points "feel" extremely similar. Now, maybe that's an artifact and I actually do unconsciously "feel" a difference due to MoI and am consciously ignoring it, but I'd need some physiological evidence of that to believe it.)

This of course is in a sense true for weight and point of balance as well. For example, if I hold a sword vertically and/or close to the body, the sensation of weight or imbalance is lessened. But I'm under the current impression that it is less easy to fool the senses about these factors. A significant difference in overall weight is hard to miss, and even if the hand is not the center of rotation a significant difference in the distance of balance from the hand is also something probably felt on a more gross level.

Which is the operative point here: how a blade feels, both statically and in motion, not how it cuts. (Which itself is far more variable based on blade geometry than MoI anyway!) Not only is it true that physics per se often shows us "a distinction without a difference," regardless of whether a physical difference exists if our sensory apparatus is not built to care, it doesn't care.

Starting in a hollowed log of wood—some thousand miles up a river, with an infinitesimal prospect of returning! I ask myself "Why?" and the only echo is "damned fool!...the Devil drives...
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's just a matter of paying attention to the feedback of the sword.

I can feel the position of the pivot point on most objects (sticks, swords, etc.) with my eyes closed, just by twirling the thing around. I'm pretty sure Michael could too if he wanted to, as would most martial artists. I'd go as far as saying that when you close your eyes, the only indication of length you have is that distance to the pivot point, that your body is perfectly capable of feeling, and that is used to control the weapon when you don't see it.

My interpretation of Michael's point is not that pivot points are unimportant, or somehow not perceived by our body. It's that they are heavily correlated to other indicators depending on the type of the object. That's quite a different thing.

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Subiaga Jr. wrote:
Timo, if I'm interpreting your response correctly, you're missing my point.

Perhaps I am. But it is without doubt that it is easier to rotate, from rest, an object through a certain angle in a certain time, and stop the rotation, if the object has a lower moment of inertia. This is absolutely certain, this is not "a distinction without a difference". Double the MoI, and you need double the torque to get the same angular acceleration. MoI is of fundamental importance when considering rotational motion.

I believe that this type of rotation is something one does when handling most swords, and therefore MoI is an important factor in handling a sword. This can be argued with; this is just opinion. But one could also argue that mass, in itself doesn't matter, because swords are used rotationally. This is, IMO, an incorrect argument, because it ignores linear motion, or at least dismisses it as unimportant. But I don't think that the opposite argument, that rotation is unimportant in sword-handling is much better. Both linear motion and rotational motion occur when moving a sword, so both the mass and the moment of inertia matter; both affect the handling.

The mass of the sword and the location of the centre of mass mostly matter with respect to rotation only because they affect the moment of inertia. (The "mostly" is because a rotation about almost any fixed point will still involve motion of the centre of mass, and the mass matters here too.)

This considerable variance in moment of inertia even among the same sword in different strokes might well make something as subjective as "feel" not dependent on it--and would corroborate others' claims. (Which, albeit subjectively, I must concur with. I too seem to find that any two swords with identical weights and balance points "feel" extremely similar. Now, maybe that's an artifact and I actually do unconsciously "feel" a difference due to MoI and am consciously ignoring it, but I'd need some physiological evidence of that to believe it.)

The question then is: how different are the MoI of the two swords of same mass and CoM? If the swords have blades of similar length and profile, then they are very likely to have very similar MoI. Get two swords of the same mass, the same CoM or PoB, and with quite different MoI. Do they still feel like they handle the same? Will a 3lb sword with a 20" blade handle the same as a 3lb longsword, if they have the same PoB? If yes, then MoI doesn't say anything useful about handling. If no, it does, and could be useful to compare different types of swords.

For two similar swords with the same PoB, the MoI will be proportional to the mass. Know the relative difference in masses, and you know the relative difference in MoI.

For similar swords with the same mass, and different PoB, the MoI about the CoM will be perhaps about ML^2/20 [1]. For a 30" blade, moving the PoB from 4" to 8" will double the MoI. PoB matters! Know how the PoB varies, and you will know how the MoI varies (although it isn't as simple as the variation with mass when PoB is constant). That's for rotation about the cross; for rotation about, e.g., the wrist, or a point between the forearms, the difference in MoI due to PoB will be less.

If the mass, PoB, blade length, grip length, profile taper, and distal taper are about the same, the MoI is going to be about the same. If any one of these varies, the change in the particular varying quantity is enough to tell you the expected change in handling, given experience - no number need be given for the MoI. But the change in the handling in rotation is due to the change in MoI resulting from changes in these varied factors.

Without experience in handling swords with known MoI, a number given for the MoI is going to be meaningless. But the same thing can be said for mass and PoB as well., and doesn't make them useless for describing swords.

[1] For a uniform bar, mL^2/12 about the CoM. For a narrow cone - which a sword would be with profile and distal taper down to zero at the tip - 3mL^2/80. For a realistic tapered blade, somewhere between these values.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm lucky to have a relationship with a museum. I could hold many medieval swords excavated. These are not exposed. My work now is whether in fact the old smiths, without knowing the physical applications, builds swords respecting the parameters of which we speak. The thing that amazed me at the moment is its lightness and handling that I did not think they had. Almost is not believed to have been used in battle, but it's true. Weight distribution at the tip, has a lot to do with what we call, tensor of inertia. It seems to me that the POB not assume too much with very light weights on average. My idea is that a sword is not meant to be balanced on a plan to which the POB is of great importance, but rather seeks a balance when it is in the air (inertia tensor). I think that the POB at the end is the result of research of inertia tensor for the balanced use of the sword. In other words, the ancients, don't sought POB as the final goal, but, it was just an effect of balance in the air that he wanted that sword. Eventually if you adopt these principles, some swords have very different results. But I'll be more precise, when I finish, this long work ..., their analysis may help us understand something more.

Now a question for experts in the moments of inertia.
Has been said, here, that the most important point in space is in the direction Y.

Another engineer told me that the matrix is made of infinite points in space. Usually the most significant nine points . Three for each axis.
These, depending on how the sword is in point in space, may or may not take more or less importance.
A vertical sword is different from a horizontal, a guard rotated by a non-rotated, the question is: what studies have been done on the X axis influence in air , on Y or Z?

Ciao
Maurizio
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, Timo, you're definitely missing the point, though your example helps demonstrate it. You asked us to compare a 20" and 30" blade with the same weight and balance point, but obviously different MoI. True, there are 20" and 30" bladed examples, but that pretty much is an example of extremely different sword types.

Consider, as a general set, swords for one-handed versus (mostly) two-handed use. Single-handed swords definitely cluster around the 30" blade length, give or take maybe three inches; longswords perhaps around 34-35", w/ the same give on each end?

That's a six inch range, if we're generous (and statistically I'd like to see a compilation, as I suspect it's less). As I pointed out, even a slight variation in the kind of swings one might realistically use is well over double that variation from the sword alone, if not triple. In short, for a given sword type, MoI just doesn't vary enough; using a dynamic measure, the sword alone is too uniform compared to the body

On the other hand--pun intended--the hand is the point from which one gets the feel of an object the most, particularly because of the preponderance of touch receptors. And the total weight and point of balance will not change from that point.

The question is: upon what is both unconscious proprioception and conscious perception of the handling depending?

If it is upon MoI, which it very well might be, as the brain unconsciously needs to calculate movement, it CANNOT be on the MoI of the sword alone, but needs to be on the particular MoI of the sword and arm moving together. Thus the MoI of any given sword alone is indeed a distinction without a difference! The brain very much needs to tune it out, as it's the unusable data that would open up the door for a control error.

By their very simplicity, it would make sense that static measures like overall weight and point of balance, which don't factor in the body and the body treats as external to itself, are much harder to ignore, especially on a conscious level.

Starting in a hollowed log of wood—some thousand miles up a river, with an infinitesimal prospect of returning! I ask myself "Why?" and the only echo is "damned fool!...the Devil drives...
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just as an aside, but one pertaining to this thread, on how better physical analysis as often as not can show the lack of a factor's relevance, especially when the biomechanics are factored in, lets take the issue of overall weight.

We all know a sword or other weapon can weigh too much. But based on the weapon alone, there should be no lower limit on weight. An actual sword of actual steel needs a minimal mass to be robust, true, but what if we had something, like, say, a science fictional lightsaber? Something that weighed only a few ounces, with the blade essentially weightless?

Run the physical calculations based on the weapon alone and the implication would be that no one could defeat a trained Jedi--the ability to accelerate such a light object and near-weightless blade would make it many times faster than any existing sword. (Hell, even with existing swords, the implication would be that anyone with a three pound sword should have NO chance against anyone with a two-pounder of similar reach.)

The only problem with this? Such a calculation is based on the sword alone, when it's the sword and body that are the system--and the limiting factor is the physics of the body. Human muscle fiber not only has a maximum contraction speed--that maximum contraction speed actually maximizes under a certain load. (Yes, Martha, we're actually a bit slower pushing against nothing at all than we are pushing against something.)

Factor in the physics of the whole system, and you can often find that the relevance of a particular measure within the system disappears.

The measure is still there, of course. Could an overlooked measure end up having relevance in some context? Of course. "Small changes in initial conditions" and all; that's what chaos theory shows. You can't deny the existence of a measure in the abstract.

But, just like one ignores what's going on with any particular molecule of a gas when looking at the pressure exerted on the wall of a container, getting an accurate overall picture also means treating that measure AS IF it's not there, even when we know it is. We're just as likely, if not more so, to miss the forest for the trees and get lost in details as overlook a key detail.

Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry Robert, but I see a lot of speculations in these posts and little foundation on facts. By your reasoning pivot points should be all over the place on swords, because our brain "tunes them out" and we are not sensitive to them in use. The fact is that they are not all over the place at all. I have measured enough good reproductions to know that. Good swords have a mass distribution that has to be precisely controlled and that can be wrong because of the positions of pivot points.

Your arguments can mostly be used the other way around, to point out that CoG and total weight should be neglected. For example:
Quote:
On the other hand--pun intended--the hand is the point from which one gets the feel of an object the most, particularly because of the preponderance of touch receptors. And the total weight and point of balance will not change from that point.

Moment of inertia will not change much around that point either. So either you neglect the whole lot or you take them all into account.

Quote:
If it is upon MoI, which it very well might be, as the brain unconsciously needs to calculate movement, it CANNOT be on the MoI of the sword alone, but needs to be on the particular MoI of the sword and arm moving together. Thus the MoI of any given sword alone is indeed a distinction without a difference! The brain very much needs to tune it out, as it's the unusable data that would open up the door for a control error.

Static moment, that is, total mass and CoG, is also something you could neglect if you consider sword+arm or sword+body. If you fold your arm the static moment will diminish on your shoulder. So your brain should tune it out too, and it does not.

Your hypothetical Jedi fighter would indeed have a significant advantage, even though his body has the same limitations as everyone's. This is why martial artists want to train with weapons that have a realistic mass distribution. If you make two people bout armed with shinai on one side and steel sword on the other side, the shinai guy will touch first, will fight quicker.

Mass distribution matters, but some aspects of it can be deduced from type and dimensions. Our brain does not tune it out at all, our body does not compensate for every variation.

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, Timo, you're definitely missing the point, though your example helps demonstrate it. You asked us to compare a 20" and 30" blade with the same weight and balance point, but obviously different MoI. True, there are 20" and 30" bladed examples, but that pretty much is an example of extremely different sword types.

So? Would they handle the same? If yes, then MoI is irrelevant. If no, then MoI matters.

As for missing your point, as far as I can tell, it is:

1) MoI varies very little, for swords of the same type of the same mass and PoB.
2) We can't feel MoI the same way we can feel weight and PoB.
3) The complex motion means that MoI is irrelevant.

These are the points that I don't miss. What do I miss?

As for 1), yes, I agree, and have said so already. As I wrote before, the position of the PoB can have a dominant effect on the MoI, all else being the same.

I think that this is also a strong indication of the importance of MoI. This is why getting things such as, e.g., distal taper, which affect the MoI, correct is important when trying to make good replicas. If MoI didn't matter, those cheap-and-nasty replicas with flat plate blades with edges ground on would handle well enough, authentically enough.

For 2), what we can feel is resistance to being rotated, and resistance to us stopping the rotation. We need to move the sword, swing the sword to feel this. It's harder to measure. Nobody gives this figure, so we're not used to it, so it's meaningless. The easier-to-measure equivalent, the centre of percussion/oscillation is never given either; instead, we find an entirely different number given when something called "centre of percussion" is given.

For 3), the complex motion means that the swordsman matters; it doesn't mean that the sword doesn't matter. If the complexity of the motion and the inclusion of the human in the system means that the MoI doesn't matter, then one can equally argue that neither do the mass or the PoB, since the mass of the sword is so small compatred to the wielder.

The modern sports science people have this under control, and they think that MoI/centres of percussion matter. Even when including vibration and elasticity, it still matters.

Fundamentally, 3) is a red herring. Even if the motion is complex, for the same swing with the same human attached, it takes less torque to get a sword with a lower MoI to a given angular speed in a given time. That the complex human-sword system will adjust to better handle swords of different mass, balance, and MoI, by using different motion, goes to show that these things matter.
The question is: upon what is both unconscious proprioception and conscious perception of the handling depending?

For the same wielder using the same motion, all of the difference in MoI is in the MoI of the sword alone. Different swords have different "handiness", and, personally, I find that I can't ignore the sword when wielding it, the properties of the sword matter, and aren't lost in the properties of my larger body.

(I think "calculate" is the wrong word.)

By their very simplicity, it would make sense that static measures like overall weight and point of balance, which don't factor in the body and the body treats as external to itself, are much harder to ignore, especially on a conscious level.

Perhaps so. Harder to feel the effect of MoI, for sure, since you need to move the sword. Just picking up a sword is enough to judge the mass and balance. I think another factor in conscious-level ignoring of MoI is the non-attention it gets.

There are two different points being debated here. One is whether or not MoI affects the handling, and the other is whether or not MoI is needed to concisely and quantitatively specify the handling.

For the first, get a variety of swords, and handle them. Group them according to "types" of handling, compare them with each other, at least within these groups. You will find that the perceived handling varies with MoI.

For the second, as suggested before, just compare two very different swords of the same mass and the same PoB. If they handle differently, then mass and PoB alone are not enough for a complete description, even of the sword alone.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, Vincent, but regarding MoI I'm afraid you're displaying a definite cultural bias. MoI does indeed vary considerably among historical swords--if you're not restricting yourself to European swords. Not to mention swords period, but cutting weapons as a whole. While an axe designed for war indeed usually has a MoI noticeably different from one for chopping wood, are you telling me it's not also notably different from a sword?

As for the brain employing a "folk physics" that cognitively employs "tuning out" data as often as calculating with it being mere "speculation," I wish I could lay claim to it. Instead I'd direct you to quite a bit of literature on cognition, from the work of JJ Gibson on how we perceive a moving object heading straight toward us via geometric size increase to Stephen Pinker in sources like The Blank Slate.

Not that our methods of perceiving based on folk physics are universally correct. In the former case a screwball pitch messes with our perception remarkably well, while in the latter, for example, Pinker points out that even professional scientists who've had physics class will commit the common mistake of thinking a marble exiting a spiral tube will continue on a curved, rather than a straight, trajectory. (While having little on the matter of folk physics per se, I'd also plug Malcolm Gladwell's Blink in there for the lay reader too, which speaks both to the strengths and weaknesses of "thin slicing" or quick cognition.)

In any case, the idea that, sometimes accurately, sometimes in error, or brains perceive based on something other than what is actually physically going on--or to be more accurate only a select part of what's physically going on? That is hardly mere speculation.

But you're just dead wrong about the "Jedi advantage," I'm afraid. It's basic physiology and biophysics, with decades of references about the matter.

First of all, muscle contraction has a maximum speed, period. While the Wikipedia entry on Muscle Contraction is more sparse than I'd like, go to it and check the last graph and the language of Force-Velocity Relationships. "the muscle generates no power at either isometric force (due to zero velocity) or maximal velocity (due to zero force). Instead, the optimal shortening velocity for power generation is approximately one-third of maximum shortening velocity.
These two fundamental properties of muscle have numerous biomechanical consequences, including limiting running speed, strength, and jumping distance and height."

Any load light enough that maximal speed on contraction is already being approached will result in no significant difference in added velocity, period. In the Power-Load Relationship there is an optimal load (~40% of max) which allows for the greatest power development-any load less than or greater than this decreases power output; summarizing force, power, and velocity relationships in muscle and integrating the force-velocity and load-power relationships, power and shortening velocity are maximized at a load of ~20% of maximal.

And this lower limit of relevance also requires the human factor is included in the mix: a muscle fiber must be able to push its own weight as it develops tension before it is able to move, all contraction up to that point being isometric (no motion yet). Only at the point does the force developed become isotonic motion.

The reason swords and indeed most handheld weapons fall within a narrow range of total weight (and in this case can be split between those for one- and two-handed use) is consistent with the relation of a handheld object as a proportion of the weight of the moving body parts themselves. Any heavier and the slowdown in the strike becomes significant; any lighter doesn't increase speed but only makes the weapon itself more fragile, and thus has no benefit.

Not that believing me requires complex mathematical analysis--but that ironically goes back to my original point. Just grab a video camera and track the speed on a sword stroke with a sword and an arm stroke with nothing in the hand, modeling the same stroke. Compare the velocity of the sword in the hand versus a pretend massless sword in an empty hand. Find a significant difference and we'll indeed have data for a groundbreaking paper!

Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, I should've included a reference about optimal load being ~40% of max and power and shortening velocity being maximized at a load of ~20% of maximal.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/course/ens304/publi...Muscle.htm

Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry, Vincent, but regarding MoI I'm afraid you're displaying a definite cultural bias.

I'm not displaying a cultural bias. Trust me, if my measurements had shown me that MoI(or equivalent properties) could be completely neglected, I would neglect it. You can't believe how much of a bother it is to me that it can't be neglected: I have to convince people that it should be measured, this is painful Happy

Quote:
In any case, the idea that, sometimes accurately, sometimes in error, or brains perceive based on something other than what is actually physically going on--or to be more accurate only a select part of what's physically going on? That is hardly mere speculation.

The idea that it applies here is mere speculation as long as you don't back it up by experiments. Judging the handling of a sword is different from judging the motion of a ball... As Timo points out in all sports MoI is taken into account when swinging things is part of the activity.

Quote:
Just grab a video camera and track the speed on a sword stroke with a sword and an arm stroke with nothing in the hand, modeling the same stroke. Compare the velocity of the sword in the hand versus a pretend massless sword in an empty hand. Find a significant difference and we'll indeed have data for a groundbreaking paper!

I don't need to do that... There are dozens of martial artists around the world that tried to train with light weapons and switched to heavier weapons because light weapons allow things that cannot be replicated with heavier weapons. Heck, I've tried myself. Of course it depends on what you call significant I suppose Happy Go tell these dozens of HEMAists that training with realistic weapons makes no difference...

Anyway, I fail to see your points clearly, and Timo does too apparently. Do you consider mass to be a significant factor for handling or not? That last paragraph seems to say no, but earlier you said yes. Which one is it? Same thing for CoG, same thing for pivot points.

Out of curiosity, have you measured swords yourself before?

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

The idea that it applies here is mere speculation as long as you don't back it up by experiments.

But when I said "Just grab a video camera and track the speed on a sword stroke with a sword and an arm stroke with nothing in the hand, modeling the same stroke. Compare the velocity of the sword in the hand versus a pretend massless sword in an empty hand. Find a significant difference and we'll indeed have data for a groundbreaking paper!" your reply was:

I don't need to do that...

Now you've just contradicted yourself, Vincent. First you say experiments matter, then that they don't.

Of course, the latter rests on the supposition that such-and-such has already been tested by martial artists. I don't buy it. If you must know, I have over twenty five years experience--combining martial arts and physiological science--debunking the suppositions of martial artists on what they believe works and doesn't. In the early proto-MMA days I worked with pioneers in the field on using camera work and analysis in this matter; PM me if you'd details on who and how. The upshot of all this is, however, you can't have it both ways, saying that raw science matters on one hand but when it challenges the folk wisdom of the "master" it doesn't need to.

To compound the issue, my suppositions have only been in support of those significant number of others who have answered on this thread in the same manner, and from the sound of it have handled swords quite a bit themselves. To answer your curiosity, yes, even when it comes to swordsmanship itself I started collecting sword reproductions, sword training, and correspondence with Hank Reinhardt over 25 years ago, was an ARMA member in the past, and have been at this game very seriously for quite some time, including handling quite a few historical artifacts.

(As I said in an earlier post, perhaps a year ago, on SBG, it's always a mistake to assume that someone who doesn't live for posting on a particular forum has no expertise in that area. Sorry to break it to the people here, but not everyone qualified to speak on swords lives or breathes by what goes on at myArmoury.)

Do you consider mass to be a significant factor for handling or not?

That last paragraph seems to say no, but earlier you said yes. Which one is it? Same thing for CoG, same thing for pivot points.

Absolutely mass matters!! In fact it is the most important matter--but the mistake is in thinking this is a linear relationship. It is a threshold/boundary condition situation. Below a certain threshold overall mass becomes irrelevant, above a certain threshold it becomes the limiting factor. Quite simple: a sword (weapon) can be too heavy, but going lighter than a certain point doesn't help.

CoG matters. It stays a constant distance from the hand. In all likelihood conscious perception of weight is centered on the hand.

Pivot points in overwhelming likelihood matter much, much less--because they vary, anywhere from the handle to (full arm extension strike from the shoulder) twenty inches or more out from the handle. MoI varies depending on the pivot point, therefore I clearly hypothesize it matters less in perception.

Hope that's simple enough an explanation of my position.

But, ironically, this is a simple empirical matter if I am indeed wrong. This particular issue can be resolved empirically with an easy experiment--regardless of the generalities of either physics or of the psychology of perception.

Take a significant number, n, of participants and blindfold them.

Eliminate all variables and test each case. In the first instance, subjects hold a pair of swords--better yet, something like a rod--of identical balance point and MoI but weight differs by, say, 25%. Ask the blindfolded subjects to tell which sword is heavier.

In the second case weight and MoI are identical for the pair but balance point differs by 25%. Askj them to tell which sword balances farther out.

In the third case weight and balance point are identical but MoI differs by 25%. Ask them to differentiate which sword has a MoI farther out.

(The percentage differance can be other than 25% of course, just so long as it's constant between sets.)

Compare the error. If the subjects accurately distinguish MoI, then it is a significant factor in perceived handling. If they accurately distinguish MoI just as consistently as the other factors, then it is just as important. No mess, no fuss, and I'd have no argument.

(I'll actually try to set up and run this myself and let the forum know the results, but don't wait for me. This is hardly an difficult or expensive experiment, and I suspect many here could run it just as well--if any of you get to it sooner than I do, great!)

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(As I said in an earlier post, perhaps a year ago, on SBG, it's always a mistake to assume that someone who doesn't live for posting on a particular forum has no expertise in that area. Sorry to break it to the people here, but not everyone qualified to speak on swords lives or breathes by what goes on at myArmoury.)

What a sweeping statement to lay out there. I think that your statement is unfair and unfounded, but that's my opinion, which happens to be off-topic to this thread. Happy

Back to the thread....

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But, ironically, this is a simple empirical matter if I am indeed wrong. This particular issue can be resolved empirically with an easy experiment--regardless of the generalities of either physics or of the psychology of perception.

Take a significant number, n, of participants and blindfold them.

Eliminate all variables and test each case. In the first instance, subjects hold a pair of swords--better yet, something like a rod--of identical balance point and MoI but weight differs by, say, 25%. Ask the blindfolded subjects to tell which sword is heavier.

In the second case weight and MoI are identical for the pair but balance point differs by 25%. Askj them to tell which sword balances farther out.

In the third case weight and balance point are identical but MoI differs by 25%. Ask them to differentiate which sword has a MoI farther out.

(The percentage differance can be other than 25% of course, just so long as it's constant between sets.)

Compare the error. If the subjects accurately distinguish MoI, then it is a significant factor in perceived handling. If they accurately distinguish MoI just as consistently as the other factors, then it is just as important. No mess, no fuss, and I'd have no argument.

Good plan. Three comments:

1)The third test, the MoI test, is easy to do. All you need is a rod with a grip, and two movable weights, one heavy weight for the pommel, one lighter weight on the "blade". Move the weights out, keeping the PoB the same, the MoI goes up. One test tool can be used for many different MoI, potentially answering the question of how much the MoI needs to change to be noticeable. The other two tests will need (at least) two test tools each.

2) "MoI further out" is the wrong question. "Is sword A easier or harder to rotate than sword B?" or similar would be much better. Or even "Which sword is easier to handle?", which could potentially be used for all the tests.

3) Some useful results will be had even if the number of subjects is few.

I think the first two tests, with the question "Which sword is easier to handle?" are interesting, much more so than with the direct questions of which is heavier or balanced further out.

Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Robert,

The idea that it applies here is mere speculation as long as you don't back it up by experiments.

But when I said "Just grab a video camera and track the speed on a sword stroke with a sword and an arm stroke with nothing in the hand, modeling the same stroke. Compare the velocity of the sword in the hand versus a pretend massless sword in an empty hand. Find a significant difference and we'll indeed have data for a groundbreaking paper!" your reply was:

I don't need to do that...

Now you've just contradicted yourself, Vincent. First you say experiments matter, then that they don't.

I say actual experiments matter. So, I have data that point out that mass distribution of good swords is controlled in every aspect (mass, CoG, pivot points), see here. This data comes from measuring actual swords without making assumptions. Other members (in particular Thom R.) have provided more data that tend to confirm that. I'm open to criticism and actually I think my understanding is nowhere near complete, but that's a starting point.

I said I could feel pivot points with my eyes closed. I wouldn't be able to do that if they did not matter physiologically. But, as I've said repeatedly, it could be that they matter but are strongly correlated to sword type, which makes them redundant on first approximation if you include sword type.

Where is your data that contradicts all that? All I've seen so far are thought experiments, where you say what you think we should find. I can say we should find something else and that doesn't make any of us right Happy I intend to make something like the experiment you describe, but I already have data that allows me to argue about what it should show...

Quote:
Of course, the latter rests on the supposition that such-and-such has already been tested by martial artists. I don't buy it.

Then the burden of proof is on you, not on them.

Quote:
The upshot of all this is, however, you can't have it both ways, saying that raw science matters on one hand but when it challenges the folk wisdom of the "master" it doesn't need to.

Actually in this case the folk wisdom is rather that pivot points do not matter, there is as far as I know a minority of people who even know how to measure pivot points accurately, let alone are able to interpret their effects.

Quote:
To compound the issue, my suppositions have only been in support of those significant number of others who have answered on this thread in the same manner, and from the sound of it have handled swords quite a bit themselves.

If you go through the discussion again you'll see that there are more people thinking they matter than thinking they don't. To be more accurate, the vast majority of people that know how to measure them find them useful. Then you have a lot of people that think that numbers in general are useless and don't bother. Basically Michael is the first I've heard saying that sword handling can be quantified by numbers, without pivot points. That's quite an original assessment...

Anyway if all this gives the incentive to make more experiments it's all good, we need more of them Big Grin

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't want to offend anyone here, but this type of discussion is exactly why some of us roll our eyes and mutter "not those engineering nerds again" whenever someone mentions moment of inertia or pivot points. Happy
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
I don't want to offend anyone here, but this type of discussion is exactly why some of us roll our eyes and mutter "not those engineering nerds again" whenever someone mentions moment of inertia or pivot points. Happy

Fair point Big Grin
But this time you were the first to explicitly mention them Wink

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Importance of point of balance
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: