This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Stephane Rabier wrote:
Sander Marechal wrote:

My plan exactly, although all our swords are blunts, not sharps.
blunt? So I think you'll have no problem, they will not be considered as weapons but just theatre accessories.

Even better! Dutch law specifically states that for all blade weapons it doesn't matter whether they are blunt or sharp. I didn't see something similar in Belgium or French law.

I'd be careful with that, blunt objects can be considered as weapons in some instance (and rightfully so). It really is subjective as was previously said, certainly the fact that they are blunt will play in your favour if there is any problem, but it's nowhere said that a blunt sword is not a weapon.

The "beauty" of that 6th category is that it includes everything from pocket knife to halberd and from razor blades to blunt sticks... Hard to make a generic sense of it.

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find this thread very interesting as it seems traveling through Europe to an event with your full kit can really be a logistical nightmare.

Growing up in northern Minnesota, we used to bring weapons to high school (locked in our trucks on gun racks). I mean, how else are you supposed go hunting right after school when your house is 10 miles (16 km) away?! (can't do this anymore Sad )

Just a few weeks ago, our group met for some breakfast and bowling. We off-loaded a ton of swords, armour, etc. into a buddies car in the parking lot without giving it a second thought. Looks from the other patrons were amusing though!

Back on topic. Is there a central legal resource for a multi-country traveler to reference in Europe? Or, are you stuck digging into the legal code for each individual country?

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

I'd be careful with that, blunt objects can be considered as weapons in some instance (and rightfully so).

Oh yes, absolutely. And I'll dig into the details of the law a bit more of course. But I assume it's similar to the "catch-all" in Dutch law. E.g. any object wielded or threatened with as a weapon becomes a category 6 weapon. If that is indeed the case then I have no problem, since the blunts will simply be packed out-of-reach in the back of my car, tied to the scabbard, in a closed bag with a heap of luggage on top.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
I find this thread very interesting as it seems traveling through Europe to an event with your full kit can really be a logistical nightmare.

yes, but there is something in existence in the EU, a "european-firearms-pass", with wich you can take your weapon into all member countrys of the union. however, thats about firearms, and i don`t know, if this appeals to swords too.
(i think i may carry a sword here in austria if i wanted to, but of course i don`t, as i do not want to be seen as "the mad guy" by my village)
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Contact nearest French Embassy or Consulate         Reply with quote

I would recommend that you contact the nearest French Embassy or Consulate for information and import forms if needed. If you make arrangements in advance and have completed all the necessary requirements in advance you will have no problems. If your lady friend has French citizenship or resident status then she will have custody of them (just guessing) or you could have custody and ownership.

Anyway, learn French et Bonne Channce mon ami!

To Study The Edge of History
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 May, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Contact nearest French Embassy or Consulate         Reply with quote

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:
If your lady friend has French citizenship or resident status then she will have custody of them (just guessing) or you could have custody and ownership.

Nope, she's Dutch. Her parents emigrated to France a couple of years ago when they retired. They are naturally born Dutch as well but they have French passports since a few years.
Stephane Rabier

PostPosted: Fri 21 May, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
well, that's true there's also a potential problem with the customs, Harry's right : check with the embassy, it's safer!
I know some weapons that are legal in France can be stopped at the border because the regulation on weapons import is different from the regulation on weapons.
Carrying the weapons AND their invoices is always a good precaution.

The weapon passport are for the sporting guns you have to carry when you're going abroad for hunting or a shooting competition.
Honestly, I've never heard about reenactor friends having trouble when traveling with blunt swords in Europe for an historical event or a renaissance fair.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > French law on swords
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: