Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Robin Hood Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Daniel de Castro Caputo

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed s. wrote:

I don't know, I'm a bit torn. On one hand I do like when I am seeing something very close to reality, but on the other hand I go to the movies to escape from reality and to be entertained. If producer's sometimes need to gloss over certain details in order to make their characters more interesting and more endeared by the audience, I suppose that I don't really mind. That said, everyone would do well to go and find out the real story afterward ."

When they gloss about the clothing, scenario, health, beauty, and education of the people, then I think (and not sure) itīs understandable... I donīt know if I wanted every historical movie about the midle ages and others similar periods focusing on the dirty aspects of the time, but...

When they gloss about historical personalities, making them better, nicer, benevolent, more educated and inteligent, etc., then this is no gloss, this is lie and manipulation of the history... Itīs much worst then misplace a sword by some centurys...

Thereīs a reason to call a movie historic, that is, that in at least the main facts of history it cannot lie...

To make a Henry VIII look a better person, with morality issues in his conscience, thatīs a tuff call... Letīs face it, the guy beheaded a lot of women... He was not nice...

If they want to make a movie about the chosen peopleīs country and their benevolent and heroic king, so they should make fiction, for this country never existed...

Daniel de Castro Caputo
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julian Arellano wrote:
and if you wanna see a bunch of pics of Robin Hood in high res--

http://www.collider.com/2010/04/24/54-images-...esolution/

Heh heh heh. Take a look at some of the extras... they recycled several Kingdom of Heaven props and costume pieces

And is that one guy wearing "ring-mail" in the washers-stitched-to-a-vest sense? Did that ever actually exist? Question
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glennan Carnie wrote:
At one point Crowe shoots a hickory-backed bow (there is no native hickory in England; and even if there was how would they glue it to a bow stave?)

Are you sure of that? I haven't seen the movie, but in an interview Crowe showed off a yew bow that had both heartwood and sapwood (one continuous piece, not glued), producing the visual contrast. But if you tell me the bow in the movie was a hickory-backed bow I won't argue. And if you tell me that Crowe's prop bow was completely wrong too I also won't argue. My knowledge of western archery is pretty remedial, you see. ;-)

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Simon E.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julian Arellano wrote:
Hi guys! ..

Do you know what kind of weapon is this ? ... seems like a knife ... or short sword .. or ?? :S

links:

http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/ro...age-52.jpg

http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/ro...age-49.jpg

The handle looks similar to the one in this drawing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...ecourt.jpg

Tinker Pearce made a interpretation of the falchion that I found really appealing. It was snapped up right quick. Now I want to see what the one in the movie looks like.
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks Simon ... Big Grin
“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I knew the accuracy was crap from the trailer. That whole D-Day looking aquatic landing o.O and Maid Marian's (besides being a woman in battle) ever present 16th century sallet helm!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it's a good story I'll enjoy it and just not let the 15 th century armour mixed in with 12 th century armour bother me.

Would I like more historically accurate gear: Sure I would and we can certainly have fun comparing notes about the inaccuracies without spoiling our fun if fun is to be had.

As to the story, if I want the classic one I will just watch the old Errol Flynn version or the 1950's Disney version or the 1950's T.V. Richard Green version.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errol_Flynn

At least with a reinvented story I can be surprised. Wink Laughing Out Loud In any case the " official " traditional story is more fiction and tall tale than accurate history.

I tend to just give up on historical accuracy as far as Hollywood is concerned and if the story is good I just mentally file it as alternate history and don't even try to fit it in any real context: Well that's just my way of not ruin it for me. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: hickory?         Reply with quote

Hello Glennan,
I took a good look at the pics posted by Julian Arellano, with close up function to check out the bow, and as the darker tones of the wood are irregular in width and distribution, I don't think we are seeing a hickory backed bow in those pics. Any other bowyers wish to comment? The modern bows I have used have a more machined ,symmetrical appearance, because of the necessity of gluing the different components together, a difficulty you referred to in your comment.
Also, maybe you are referring to another bow used in the movie ?

Bon coeur et bon bras
Keith Staton

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Im just back from the movie and I LOVED it. I didnt see anything wrong with the longbows and I think it should be left to some bow experts to comment one way or the other. I did expect to see archers pulling back to their ears instead of aiming with the string in front of the eye but supposedly that requires years of training to accomplish so maybe they felt it was more realistic.

The french fleet that supposedly rows to England and lands in a tight formation on that beach --? I aint so sure about that. I dont see the smaller open boats with 6-10 oars keeping up with the larger vessels and Ive never heard or a barge with a forward facing ramp documented anywhere before the Higgins boat in WWII, so i'd LOVE to hear from someone who has.

As far as weapons and outfits go, Im sure u guys will have varying opinions, but I thought Marian was hot in the chain mail. Cmon, its a good story and I hope they make more sequels than Star Wars.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought the film was absolute trash - honestly, one of the worst films I've ever seen. Ponderous, cliched and totally one-dimensional. The costumes were absurdly unrealistic - in addition to a mix of 15th-century visored sallets with Norman-era nasal helms and the odd great helm, there was also atrocious looking mail, bizarre made-up brigandines and jacks, and of course Robin's weird lamellar cuirass with what looked like scale spaulders. That didn't bother me nearly as much as the one-dimensional characters, incredibly cheesy battle scenes complete with slow-mo and "NOOOOOOOOOO" screams, unnecessary title cards and CONSTANT background music. The latter really bothers me - a good filmmaker understands the value of silence in the movie, and doesn't use non-stop orchestral swells and cheezy choral music in every second of the film. Barry Lyndon, Cromwell - those films made good use of incidental music without it dominating the movie. The blatant, shameless set-up to a sequel at the end also annoyed me. Actually, everything about the movie annoyed me. I never - EVER - thought I would find myself saying this, but Kevin Costner's version was superior.
Pastime With Good Company
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand that they have a certain vision in their heads when they design the movie, but when I'm wandering around in public in my kit for any legitimate reason (or any excuse I can come up with, for that matter) I always get more "That's so cool"'s or "Awesome!"s than I can count. Point being, the modern, non-historical viewer finds accurate historical armor almost as attractive as we enthusiasts do, on a purely visual level. So with limited exceptions (helms and shields blocking the protagonist's face) I see no reason to stray from true history for cinematic reasons.
Likewise, I understand that a director might take certain liberties to make a true story flow in a more typical cinematic pattern, but if they do take liberties, they can at least do their best to make sure said modifications are indeed out of necessity to the plot and not out of ignorance, or else it wouldn't be too hard to make a movie about Abraham Lincoln storming Iraq and engaging in hand-to-hand struggle to the death with Saddam Hussein, and calling that "based on a true story." Not that you couldn't make a movie about that, but it would probably be put under the genre of comedy, or at best, action. But if it's not historical, don't try to pretend it is by tossing around terms like "Historically accurate" in the making-of documentaries and director's commentary. Heck, even Monty Python and the Holy Grail had a historical consultant named in the credits. Is it really that hard?
I expect I will enjoy this movie very much, as I did Gladiator, but I also expect I will have to resist the urge to make corrections in the theater. Perhaps some of our members should start volunteering! I'm not the most qualified person in the world, but I would give historical advice gratis if I knew it would lead to a more accurate film.

Credits:
Robin Hood - Russell Crowe
Director - Ridley Scott
Camerawork - Joe Smith
Historical Consultation - Members of myArmoury

Am I onto something here or what? Razz

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my mind, only one Robin Hood movie is worth watching so far...

The Legend had it coming...

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Glennan Carnie wrote:
At one point Crowe shoots a hickory-backed bow (there is no native hickory in England; and even if there was how would they glue it to a bow stave?)

Are you sure of that? I haven't seen the movie, but in an interview Crowe showed off a yew bow that had both heartwood and sapwood (one continuous piece, not glued), producing the visual contrast. But if you tell me the bow in the movie was a hickory-backed bow I won't argue. And if you tell me that Crowe's prop bow was completely wrong too I also won't argue. My knowledge of western archery is pretty remedial, you see. ;-)

There is definitely a self yew bow - presumably the 'hero' bow - that appears in the film. In particular, the slow-no shot showing the arrow leaving the bow. There is also at least one white wood bow (ash, probably).

But in the trailer, towards the end there is a shot of Crowe drawing up a bow and you can clearly see the flecked grain of hickory. (it's image number 10 in the '54 images' - unfortunately, the bow is out of focus in the high-res shot)

But, then, that's like using aluminium blades for the swords. We know it's not correct historically; it's just there to make the actors look good. We can't expect actors to spend years training to develop the skiils and strength required to use these weapons 'properly'.

As long as they don't kid themselves (and us) that they're doing it 'for real'.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Iagoba Ferreira wrote:
No piety for those who claim "historical accuracy" saying this is asking for constructive critics! Razz

Quinn W. wrote:
if it's not historical, don't try to pretend it is by tossing around terms like "Historically accurate" in the making-of documentaries and director's commentary.

My thoughts exactly. With Ridley Scott's constant hammering of historical accuracy, he deserves all the criticism he's going to get over this movie.
Walter S

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
I knew the accuracy was crap from the trailer. (...) and Maid Marian's (besides being a woman in battle)

Wasn't there some thread where was concluded that noble women leading troops and sometimes even directly engaging in combat was more common than usually thought?
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I enjoyed this film. I thought it was good fun, and enjoyed the way the battle sequences weren't just "line up and charge" which is so often the case in films. Admittedly there are many historical issues with the costumes and props, but except for marions riding dress and Marshalls horrible costumes I was able to ignore them for the most part.

I was pleased to see William Marshall appearing. I really hope someone makes a movie about him one day.
Walter S

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just finished watching the movie...
I liked the armor of Godfrey, it seemed quite authentic as far as I could tell. The movie seemed to drag on a bit - I like long movies, but this one felt kinda devoid of interesting events. Then came the beach landing, which really made my eyes spin and question soundness of Mr. Scott's mind. The French had WW2-style landing crafts (Higgins boat) and many of the shots were direct parallels of shots from Saving Private Ryan. I really wonder what was that supposed to mean.
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: accurate buckles and brooches         Reply with quote

The props department bought a number of pretty accurate buckles and brooches from me, but I don't know if they show up on screen.
They also bought quite a few bowls from Robin Wood http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/ that are very accurate, but who knows if they are on screen or on the cutting room floor.
mark

Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com
Joshua R

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
I thought the film was absolute trash - honestly, one of the worst films I've ever seen.

You don't see very many movies, do you? I don't see very many movies and it was far from the worst I've ever seen!

Anyway. I enjoyed the movie. My biggest annoyance was the lack of lances used by the film's cavalry (and the lack of spears used by infantry... and the lack of shields... and the lack of any protective qualities of either shields or armor)... but then, I don't think I've seen many lances used in a Medieval costume piece since Braveheart. I should admit, however, that I have a hard time criticizing the historicity of a movie titled Robin Hood... primarily because such films (and the folk tales from which they are derived) always seem more like fantasy that has borrowed a few real characters, an event or two, and a couple of nations from history, rather than a series of events and characters from factual history.

" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This film used every trite movie cliche in the book. I simply cannot derive any entertainment from a movie like that. The ham-fisted political message (now Robin Hood is responsible for the frickin' Magna Carta?), the ridiculous D-Day landing scene, the stupid title cards (oh - I didn't realize they were in Nottingham! Thanks for telling me, Ridley Scott!), and the overuse of unbelievably cheesy scenes with all the subtlety of a mule kick to the face. (The French flag sinking to the bottom of the water, like, you know, to symbolize the fact that the French were beaten!) No character development or depth whatsoever. And, like I said before, I cannot stand when a movie has background music non-stop, filling every second of film.

It was NOT the historical inaccuracy of the film that bothered me. It was everything else about it.

Pastime With Good Company

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Robin Hood
Page 2 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: