Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Migration Period Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
Thanks for the pictures! There are some more interesting swords at the same page in Flickr. Like I said in the Visigoth thread, I'm not sure that the way they layed the parts out is correct. For instance, the "pommel" seems like a sword hanger to me...

I'll have to agree with you on this one, something definately seems off about the way they laid out the fittings.

Éirinn go Brách
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
Anyway, it seems that the crucible steel used in these blades is not superior to the other types of blade making. Not in terms of hardness anyway.

Do you know if any of the swords tested were decorated with precious metals and stones, I ask because these were more likely to belong to very wealthy individuals and could have been better quality, as opposed to the more plain swords which belonged to less wealthy individuals, which could have been pretty crappy

Éirinn go Brách
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 04 Nov, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Paul Hansen wrote:
Anyway, it seems that the crucible steel used in these blades is not superior to the other types of blade making. Not in terms of hardness anyway.

Do you know if any of the swords tested were decorated with precious metals and stones, I ask because these were more likely to belong to very wealthy individuals and could have been better quality, as opposed to the more plain swords which belonged to less wealthy individuals, which could have been pretty crappy

The paper isn't very clear as to where the samples were taken. "Near the handle".

KIS#1 is decorated (gold?). KIS#2 is very corroded, no remaining sign of decoration in the picture in the paper. KIS#1 is harder than KIS#2.

The blades are identified as crucible steel on the basis of low-slag and uniform carbon content. Carbon content isn't reported here.

For more, I'd consider looking in Feuerbach's thesis. I don't have a copy, so I haven't looked.

Yes, it isn't very hard. (Neither is KIS#1.)

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Nov, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think taking samples from the blade area near the handle might not be a good idea. That area may intentionally be left softer to absorb shocks than areas nearer the tip that would see more cutting and sharpening.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thing to consider, as mentioned in the introduction, some swords are badly corroded, so the sample taken is from the core of the blade, which would be less influenced by carburisation (and perhaps hardening).
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Migration age sword         Reply with quote

Hi

I can't throw any further light on the sword posted that started this thread, but while searching online for images of the two Hunnic swords from Pannonhalma Hungary and dated to the second quarter of the fifth century I came across this interesting pdf which has an image of one the swords on plate 14.The swords are kept at the Xantus Janus Museum Szcechenyi Hungary.

http://eprints.nbu.bg/418/1/Gold-as-INSIGNIA-2.pdf

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Migration Period Sword         Reply with quote

A. Fleet wrote:
I was recently searching the internet and came across this page: http://www.royalathena.com/PAGES/MigrationMed...L0901.html depicting a migration period sword that seems unlike any of this period I have ever seen. Based on the museum display cited on the page I would assume it is a hunnic sword but alas, I have no images of any hunnic swords for a point of reference. Anyone know what this might be?

I found similar swords on one of the reliefs of I. Shabur. ( arround 270 AD) I'll scan them next weekend.

Zoltán
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Migration Period Sword         Reply with quote

Henrik Zoltan Toth wrote:
A. Fleet wrote:
I was recently searching the internet and came across this page: http://www.royalathena.com/PAGES/MigrationMed...L0901.html depicting a migration period sword that seems unlike any of this period I have ever seen. Based on the museum display cited on the page I would assume it is a hunnic sword but alas, I have no images of any hunnic swords for a point of reference. Anyone know what this might be?

I found similar swords on one of the reliefs of I. Shabur. ( arround 270 AD) I'll scan them next weekend.

Zoltán
Sounds interesting! I'm looking forward to them.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some weapons from wall-reliefs and two fine swords (same were common in the early awar age, too) from the sassanide era:

Zoltán

Attachment: 73.95 KB
img251.jpg

Attachment: 114.87 KB
img252.jpg

Attachment: 87.09 KB
img253.jpg

Attachment: 120.48 KB
img254.jpg

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Henrik and thanks for adding these pics. It's interesting to note that the reliefs show scabbards with scabbard slides rather than the P shaped mounts, I guess that these must have been a later trend.
Éirinn go Brách
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, the two swords are from the 4-6th Century, the reliefs from arround 270 AD.

Zoltán
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for this addition Zoltán!

Where did you get the first picture from?
Carl Rosenberg

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent discussion which suggests to me a fundamental question: is a "Hunnish" sword a sword made by Huns, a sword made by locals commissioned by Huns or a sword Huns used. Each post is dependent on which of these possibilities, alone or in combination focuses a given post. The references go far in addressing the question. I wonder if the discussion may be helped by explicitly stating which of these three possibilities are being assumed in each post. For example: the speed of a spurt of migration could determine if it was easier to use a plundered local weapon vs having one made.
C. Rosenberg MD MBA
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Rosenberg wrote:
is a "Hunnish" sword a sword made by Huns, a sword made by locals commissioned by Huns or a sword Huns used. Each post is dependent on which of these possibilities, alone or in combination focuses a given post.
The Hunnish sword (long, narrow, double edged, iron guard) type is unique enough in Europe to identify graves with them in it, as belonging to the Hunnish confederation. This sword-type originated probably in the East, either on the steppe, in China, in Persia or somewhere in between. But not in Western or Central Europe.

The Hunnish confederation probably consisted of a variety of ethnic groups, some Asian, but others from a variety of European tribes, and to a large extent the "Europeans" adopted "Asian" arms and culture. Definitely not the other way around. Anyway it's very hard to identify graves by ethnicity compared to identifying them by material culture.

Whether the Hunnish swords were made by Huns themselves or by others employed or enslaved by them is I think not so important. But the vast majority of graves identified as Hunnish have Hun-type swords rather than, say, Roman-type swords. In fact, I can't think of any Hunnish find with a Roman sword inside.

Carl Rosenberg wrote:
For example: the speed of a spurt of migration could determine if it was easier to use a plundered local weapon vs having one made.
That would be more an issue for the peoples who were overrun by the Huns than for the Huns themselves.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Migration Period Sword
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: