myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Migration Period Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it me or is the above sword with the gold plated grip very reminiscent of the sword of Childeric I, possible connection perhaps?
Éirinn go Brách
Myles Hildebrand

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: sword of Childeric         Reply with quote

Childeric - now that would be a beautiful sword to replicate
I am BattleSword, son of Heribrand, Sword Man... and I care not what others think of me. All Hail King Theodoric!
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although some authors think that most cloissonée work comes from Byzantine workshops, I have the idea that the use of it in Germanic swords has been developed under Hunnish influence.

Nevertheless, the Childeric sword is of a distinctly different type, with would have had a broad, pattern welded blade. Also the shape of the hilt is completely different and in line with other Germanic gold-hilted swords of the same period (e.g. Blucina), not with these Hunnish swords.

Here are some pictures of the Childeric sword (although I think that at least the lower scabbard fitting belongs with a sax rather than a spatha) and of the two Hunnish swords found at Pannonhalma.

Attachment: 12.32 KB
Childeric I ~ Sword Hilt and Scabbard.jpg

Attachment: 138.86 KB
[ Download ]
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Success!?!

See at the bottom of this page a Chinese jian that is very like the Hunnish swords, although still not like the sword in the first post:
http://www.youngmuseum.com/the_richard_nable_collection.htm

Direct link: http://www.youngmuseum.com/hanironsword%20One.jpg
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got some photos of ringswords from the 6th century, used in Korea and Japan. The same weapon was carried by the awars from Mongolia into Europe. So the chinese hunnic (xiunghu?)-chinese vice-versa influences wouldn't be a big surprice. :-)

Best regards:

Zoltán
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Concerning the sword placement on Henrik's photo of the burial drawings -

Except for very short swords like gladii, I'm used to seeing swords carried on the left for easier drawing.. Yet these burials have the sword placed on the right side of the body. I wonder why?

Maybe both those men were left handed Confused
Andrew W

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or perhaps the blades were simply placed on that side when they were buried, and not worn there in life.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew W wrote:
Or perhaps the blades were simply placed on that side when they were buried, and not worn there in life.

Perhaps you are right, but placement of grave goods, and their spatial relationships can often be significant.
Is there a forumite with archaeological knowledge of these burials who can shed some light?
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess the drawing on the right is easy.
The focus of the scan shows not the former owner of the sword, but his supposed wife (the two bracelets, the fibulae and the scissors are a clue here) which was buried with him and lies on top the sword which is on the left hip of the man to her right whose hand she appears to hold.

The left drawing is a bit less clear. It could be either a case of a deforming of the grave and thus dislocation of the gravegoods some time after the burial, maybe due to decay and resulting collapse of the coffin or gravechamber. You can notice the bulk of the gravegoods laying on the body's right side. Also the skeleton appears to be oriented to the right side with his spine awkwardly bowing to this direction.

Or it could be a woman to, which would be indicated by the three fibulae which are shown on the drawing, these are generally part of the female dress. In this case, the male burying to her right side would miss in the drawing, which might well be the case. It is a relatively old excavation and the archeologists where maybe not as careful about the surrounding bones as about the precious gravegoods a sad and common feature of older style excavations.
Or it could be a case of more ancient grave robbing which as not been documented by the excavators. Anyway the left grave would then be a double burial like the first one.

Either hypothesis can not be cleared without the description and detailed drawings of the gravegoods of the burial.

Or it could be a left handed person Confused
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Zoltan Toth wrote:
I got some photos of ringswords from the 6th century, used in Korea and Japan. The same weapon was carried by the awars from Mongolia into Europe. So the chinese hunnic (xiunghu?)-chinese vice-versa influences wouldn't be a big surprice. :-)
If you could post some pictures, that would be highly appreciated! Big Grin
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Till J. Lodemann wrote:
I guess the drawing on the right is easy.
The focus of the scan shows not the former owner of the sword, but his supposed wife (the two bracelets, the fibulae and the scissors are a clue here) which was buried with him and lies on top the sword which is on the left hip of the man to her right whose hand she appears to hold.

Thanks, Till. Your reply reminds me of the Finnish Suontaka Sword (on which the Albion Valkyrja is based) found in a woman's grave. There are some who say that sword isn't hers, that it belongs to the man buried next to her.

My apologies for pulling this thread offtrack.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to the text accompanying picture 30/2, the long sword was attached to the belt of the person on the right, which was in the text described as probably a woman, or at least a person who looked and dressed like a woman.

Since it's an Alan grave, perhaps this could be a continuation of the Sarmatian female warrior practice?

Interestingly, at the same time, the Historical Museum in Speyer (Germany) is holding an exhibition on the Amazons... Big Grin
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking back over this thread I noticed that some of these swords have short thick guards while others have long thin guards. Do you think that this was a development over time or were these two types contempory. Also why have so few pommels survived were they made of organic material? And finally, we can see from Henrik's drawings what type of pommels were used, but were there other types of pommel used, in the same way that different styles of guard were used.
Éirinn go Brách
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Looking back over this thread I noticed that some of these swords have short thick guards while others have long thin guards.
Which ones specifically? As far as I know, all the black and white scans are more or less contemporary.

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Also why have so few pommels survived were they made of organic material? And finally, we can see from Henrik's drawings what type of pommels were used, but were there other types of pommel used, in the same way that different styles of guard were used.
Good question.... As you can see here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=30495
on many Hunnish swords there were not really pommels, just ferrules that mark the shape of the hilt. That is, if the reconstruction as pictured is correct, but I personally believe that it is.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the grave figure at left in that scan--notice the buckle over the pelvis. It's pretty well aligned with the scabbard.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul, I think so, too.
Looking in the catalogue of the Speyer exhibition, I found two further examples of hunnic swords with largely intact hilts.
Especially the long hilted one shows the construction without a pommel nicely, and besides, its a nice sword Big Grin

Attachment: 75.21 KB
wien leopoldau Verwahrfund 2 1935 Schwert2.jpg
From Wien Leopdau

Attachment: 203.71 KB
From Brut, kurgan 2 [ Download ]

Last edited by Till J. Lodemann on Mon 18 Oct, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
Which ones specifically? As far as I know, all the black and white scans are more or less contemporary.

Sorry, my bad I was unclear here. I meant that the first two swords posted in this thread have short thick guards while the next two have long thin ones. I was wondering if they were from a different time period or different area, or were they contemporaries?

Paul Hansen wrote:
Good question.... As you can see here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=30495
on many Hunnish swords there were not really pommels, just ferrules that mark the shape of the hilt. That is, if the reconstruction as pictured is correct, but I personally believe that it is.

I did notice this drawing but I assumed that there would have been a pommel above the upper ferrule, otherwise it would seen that the sword would slip out of your hand pretty easily.

Éirinn go Brách
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe the position of the weapons depends on the social/political/military position of the person. There is a theory about the nomad hungarian graves: the grave itself could had mean the underwolrld, the opposite side, something like a mirror. For example the sabre came to the right side instead the left.

A lot of hunnic swords got a cord with a semi-precious stone-bottom on the end. The user pressed this on his hand (joint).

Regards:

Zoltán
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Sorry, my bad I was unclear here. I meant that the first two swords posted in this thread have short thick guards while the next two have long thin ones. I was wondering if they were from a different time period or different area, or were they contemporaries?
The one A. Fleet posted is still quite unclear to me, although I suppose there is a link with roughly contemporary Chinese swords. Since we don't have a find place for it, nor a context, I guess it remains guesswork until a sword very much like it is found, somewhere...

The other sword is Hunnish.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have some pics about these kind of long swords... parthian and chinese. I'll post them on saturday.

Zoltán

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Migration Period Sword
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: