Need help with scabbard suspension
Onward my scabbard project... Now the wooden part is almost finished. What looked like a simple job, came out very challenging even for an experienced craftsman, like my carpenter friend. Carving out the negative for the blade was not so simple even within a well equipped workshop. It seriously held him back with scheduled works, and took some time until he figured out the right way to do it. It was his first scabbard and I'm very pleased with the results. When he saw the prices for scabbards on the internet, he said that even for half of those prices scabbard making would be a good business. He was returning me a favor, so this one came for free...

Now I'm moving on to the next stage, finding a method for suspension and the right places for the straps. Peter's scabbard project looks excellent and very practical indeed, but I cannot find any specifications about where to place those straps.
Are there some basic things to keep in mind or some "magic formula" related to blade length or point of balance or mass distribution or it's just trial and error? Peter's design leaves no room for this.
I have no idea about the "correct" angle of the suspended scabbard and absolute no experience wearing swords.
Are there major differences wearing a sword on horseback or dismounted?

I don't have much spare time for experimenting due to my job and family, so I'd like to get it right the first time.
I'm asking for advice from experienced swordsmen, like you.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's a type X sword.
Here is a link to a comprehensive tutorial on Ye Olde Gaffer's website for what kind of suspension would go nicely with a Type X:

http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_scabbard.asp

You'll find the tutorial in the bottom 3rd of the page.

Let us know how your project goes! :)
Thanks, I read this excellent tutorial some time ago, but it contains no answer for my primary concern: where to place those straps? I have a strong guess that those straps should be evenly spaced on both sides of the point of balance of the completed sword in the scabbard. I'm not sure if this is correct, but sounds reasonable for the weight will be evenly distributed on both straps.

Another improvement would be making a shallow groove on the back of the scabbard (6-8 mm wide, 1-2 mm running along the entire length), so after tightening the strings the ends of the leather will fade in this groove making the sewing marks nearly invisible without weakening the scabbard (it runs just above the fuller, where material is thicker). This method was used on 17th-18th century saber scabbards, but it just might be an earlier invention.
Even 19th century wooden bayonet scabbards are scarce and I don't know if there are any surviving medieval specimens....
Ozsváth Árpád-István wrote:
I have a strong guess that those straps should be evenly spaced on both sides of the point of balance of the completed sword in the scabbard. I'm not sure if this is correct, but sounds reasonable for the weight will be evenly distributed on both straps.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I just checked on of my 19th century cavalry swords and I found out that the lower suspension ring is at the point of balance of the whole thing, 23 cms from the throat. The upper ring is 9,5 cms from the throat.
Well, it's another period, another type of sword that was worn differently, but it's enough to prove that my speculations were incorrect.

If you have a good quality one-handed (type X or Xa) sword with scabbard, that's comfortable to wear please give me some details. I'm interested in Albion's "The Senlac", "The Norman", "The Oakeshott" or "The Templar".

Attachment: 25.93 KB
Here's my M 1869 cavalry officer's sword... [ Download ]
If you are going for a Type X, Xa, or XI - I'd suggest doing an integral sword suspension that is period accurate. Here is a basic tutorial on one, you will find the details near the bottom of the page:

http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_scabbard.asp

These are very comfortable suspensions to wear and they look great as well. :)
Almost done. Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I have to make a decent chape and some finishing touches on my sword. It wasn't that hard making it, actually it was a very pleasant and relaxing job except for the fitting the pommel part - those damn blisters...

Attachment: 109.12 KB
sword.jpg

Heh. I just noticed that I duped myself in the above post answering different questions. For that, I apologize - that's what I get for posting when I am tired at work. LOL.

Anyway, you scabbard looks great! Once you get a chape on there, it will look magnificent! Thanks for posting a link to your work! :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: