Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of later bastard sword hilts Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more. I don't have specific info about them, but they're all 16th century longswords (or in the style of).

Attachment: 46.43 KB
Objekt_56536_00_700x700.jpg

Attachment: 53.52 KB
Objekt_1_56536_00_700x700.jpg

Attachment: 66.98 KB
Objekt_56543_00_700x700.jpg

Attachment: 887.98 KB
486322_535945689756529_1465881449_n.png

Attachment: 475.48 KB
42.png

Attachment: 615.01 KB
43.png

Attachment: 277.13 KB
Longswords.png

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, circa 1530

Double-edged blade with shallow fullers. Each side of the ricasso stamped with maker's marks and decorative lines. Iron hilt with S-curved cross-guard. Leather-covered waisted grip. Spirally-twisted iron pommel.

Overall length: 47.24" (120 cm); Blade length: ~ 39.75" (101 cm)

Copyright © Hessink's Auction House

A more detailed photo, alongside examples of other swords, can be found in our 16th century longswords photo album.

Attachment: 232.33 KB
A-Hand-and-a-Half-Sword,-German,-circa-1530.png
A Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, circa 1530

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, circa 1520

The hilt of blued steel with large pommel formed in segments cut with a design of formalized petals. Long counter-curved quillons with petal-shaped terminals, ring-guard linked by scrolling bars with prominent thumb-ring at the back. Retraining its original leather-covered grip with moldings and fitted with a broad double-edged German blade with three fullers stamped on each side with three twig marks.

Dimensions unknown

Copyright © Peter Finer

A more detailed photo, alongside examples of other swords, can be found in our 16th century longswords photo album.

Attachment: 284.14 KB
A-German-hand-and-a-half-sword,-circa-1520.png
A Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, circa 1520

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Hand-and-a-Half Sword (also called an "Astknauf Sword"), South German or Swiss, circa 1530-1560

The ricasso struck with a crowned maker's mark with "S" (a forgery of the famous "Sahagun mark" of Toledo, probably Solingen)

Overall length: 47.36" (120.3 cm); Blade length: 39.53" (100.4 cm)

Located at Reichsstadtmuseum Rothenburg, Germany

Attachment: 343.67 KB
A-South-German-or-Swiss-Hand-and-a-Half-Sword,-circa-1530-60.png
A Hand-and-a-Half Sword (also called an "Astknauf Sword"), South German or Swiss, circa 1530-1560

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A crowned maker's mark, an inverted "S" with a crown atop (a forgery of the famous "Sahagun mark" of Toledo, probably Solingen) sits within one of the fullers.

Overall length: 48.98" (124.4 cm); Blade length: 39.7" (100.8 cm)

Located at Reichsstadtmuseum Rothenburg, Germany

Attachment: 304.02 KB
A-South-German-or-Swiss-Hand-and-a-Half-or-Astknauf-Sword,-circa-1530-60.png

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Longsword (or so-called "Swiss Saber"), probably Switzerland, circa 1530

Fig-shaped and writhen lobed pommel; horizontally recurved quillons of diamond section with knobs at the ends similar in shape to the pommel; side-ring of trefoil shape; Pas D`ane with forward guards, one of which projects at right-angles and ends in a twisted knob like the quillons; another transverse one joins the ring near the center. Long knuckle-guard of two bars joined by another (S-shaped). Shouldered grip of wood bound with leather over cord. The blade, slightly curved, single-edged and hollow-ground. There is a mark, possibly that of the maker, resembling that of a Lyons blacksmith, 21.5 cm from guard.

Blade length: 39.96" (101.5 cm); Blade width: 1.5" (3.8 cm); Weight: 3.59 pounds (1.63 kg)

Wallace Collection A.489

Literature:
Mann, James G., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Volume II, London: The Wallace Collection 1962
Norman, A. V. B., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Supplement, London: The Trustees of the Wallace Collection, 1986

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...detailView

Copyright © Trustees of the Wallace Collection

Attachment: 309.16 KB
Wallace-A489.png
Longsword (or so-called "Swiss Saber"), probably Switzerland, circa 1530

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hand-and-a-Half Sword ("Astknauf Sword"), Switzerland, circa 1550-1560

Double-edged, long blade of flattened hexagonal section with a short fuller on each side. Each fuller has a five-sided cross-shaped mark and the strong ricasso is surmounted by incised lines ending in a cross. Iron, blackened swept hilt with thumb-ring and S-shaped cross-guard. Original, leather-covered grip and six-sided spirally-cut pommel. A related example exists in the Solingen Blade Museum.

Overall length: 52.17" (132.5 cm); Blade length: 42.27" (107.37 cm)

Copyright © Hermann Historica Auction House

Attachment: 323.71 KB
Hand-and-a-half-Sword,-Switzerland-to-1550-60.png
Hand-and-a-Half Sword ("Astknauf Sword"), Switzerland, circa 1550-1560

Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't seem to find an online translation of "Astknauf", could you elaborate? I don't think I've yet run into that term...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
I can't seem to find an online translation of "Astknauf", could you elaborate? I don't think I've yet run into that term...

It's new to me, too. I didn't write the description. I don't know. I assume it's some sort of term for these Swiss hilts, likely not contemporary to the sword itself.

Google's first response is this:

"A Astknauf is a knob shape of Swiss swords and sabers. The knob is divided into six sections that run in turns to knob end. This turns stepping out on the pommel end. They are cut off cleanly and the same in appearance Aststümpfen. This Knaufart was in Switzerland in the 15th and 16th Century in use."

So I guess it's swords with that split organic type of writhen pommel/hilt.

Attachment: 346.31 KB
pommels.png
Astknauf pommels?

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Attached is an image with several 16th century bastard swords.

These swords are shown side-by-side in their proper scale. Even though the swords were all photographed at different times and in different places, making their individual perspectives slightly off, the image still demonstrates the immense diversity that can be found with these types of swords.

Click to see a high-res version of this image here

Attachment: 183.83 KB
16th-century-bastard-swords.png

Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent image!

If I could proffer a suggestion: perhaps a colored 'yardstick' at one end of the image in foot increments, to provide a better sense of scale?

Apart from that, lovely work Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Excellent image!

If I could proffer a suggestion: perhaps a colored 'yardstick' at one end of the image in foot increments, to provide a better sense of scale?

Stats for every single sword in the image are available within this topic and on Facebook. The image really is a visual piece of eye-candy. If one wants to have a measuring stick, all one would need do is look at the measurement of, say, the largest sword and judge from there. This is just a visual representation of variety.

A downloadable high-resolution one with a scale would be a good idea. It would serve another purpose and that would be a good thing.

Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Excellent image!

Stats for every single sword in the image are available within this topic and on Facebook. The image really is a visual piece of eye-candy. If one wants to have a measuring stick, all one would need do is look at the measurement of, say, the largest sword and judge from there. This is just a visual representation of variety.

A downloadable high-resolution one with a scale would be a good idea. It would serve another purpose and that would be a good thing.

The last line there was more what I had in mind, yes.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of later bastard sword hilts
Page 7 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: