Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armoured and Unarmoured Tournament on May 29, 2010 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steaphen Fick

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Armoured and Unarmoured Tournament on May 29, 2010         Reply with quote

Hello my friends –

I would like to invite you to a first! I have been invited to host two tournaments at an upcoming umbrella tournament called Ultimate Internationals, and I would like to invite you to attend. The tournament will be held on May 29, 2010 at the Santa Clara Convention Center.

There is an annual tournament called Ultimate Internationals that rents the Santa Clara Convention Center. You can find more information at http://www.ultimateinternationals.com/pages/t...ation.php.

The Ultimate Internationals is a large umbrella tournament that has been in existence for many years, but this is the first time that a Western martial art has been invited to participate in this event. As this is the first time the event has invited a WMA group. I’m hoping that we will be able to put on a good show for them and have a great tournament for ourselves.

We will have two tournaments on this day;
• Unarmoured longsword tournament –
In this tournament the combatants will use wooden swords (wasters) and will simulate an unarmoured duel with the long sword. For more information on this tournament and the rules please go to my website www.swordfightingschool.com.
• Armoured Tournament –
The armoured tournament will be open to all combatants with the appropriate armour and safety equipment. All combatants, whatever their historical period of armour will be in the tournament together. For more information on this tournament and the rules please go to my website www.swordfightingschool.com.

I hope that you will be able to join us at this tournament as it will be a great time for us and we will be able to introduce hundreds of other martial artists to the Western Martial Arts. There will be many other tournaments happening this day, so all these other practitioners will be introduced to our art.

If you are interested in participating in one of these tournaments, please send me an email and go to the web site http://www.ultimateinternationals.com/pages/o...ration.php to register for the event. Once you have registered, please send me confirmation of your registration so that we can confirm your attendance and which tournament you will be fighting in.

You can find the rules for these two tournaments on the Ultimate Internationals webpage or you can go to my website at www.swordfightingschool.com.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at;
408-857-0120 or davenriche@yahoo.com
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be there if I can get a baby sitter here, what time do you expect to finish the last tournament?

amateur photos/video allowed?

1st link does not work for me
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Sat 01 May, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: tournament         Reply with quote

ooooo Big Grin This sounds really cool! Its always fun to disprove the many misconceptions of medieval combat Wink Events like these are a great way to show ppl how it was really done.
Sinisa D.

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Armoured and Unarmoured Tournament on May 29, 2010         Reply with quote

I just wanted to ask how good protection offered splinted armour with brigandine and how lighter was it compared to full armour like in the picture below and does any antique piece exist or maybe you have pictures of some similar types, thanks?[/img]

Attachment: 87.88 KB
Guenther_von_schwarzburg.jpg
Like splinted greaves and brigandine for example?
James Head

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope you guys have a successful turnout. Have you consider some plastic or nylon sparring swords instead of wood? I'm not a big fan of how wood does not behave like steel, and can hit hard if you are not careful.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Head wrote:
I hope you guys have a successful turnout. Have you consider some plastic or nylon sparring swords instead of wood? I'm not a big fan of how wood does not behave like steel, and can hit hard if you are not careful.

Personally I'm not a big fan of nylon swords...but from the rules I read both wood and nylon are acceptable. Most of us in Steaphen's salle use wood wasters from New Stirling Arms. We also don't go out of our way to hit hard, so any worries about broken swords or heavy body armor beyond those required is unfounded.

The rules for both armored and unarmored participants in the tournament can be found here http://www.swordfightingschool.com/Tournament.html[url]. All required/allowed equipment is specified in the rules. Be patient while the PDF loads since it takes awhile. :-)

Hope to see you there, we can use some more adversaries from outside our school to fight!

Best regards,

Bryce Felperin[/url]
Steaphen Fick

PostPosted: Fri 07 May, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: working on the schudule         Reply with quote

Ben Sweet wrote:
I'll be there if I can get a baby sitter here, what time do you expect to finish the last tournament?

amateur photos/video allowed?

1st link does not work for me

Yes, please do feel free to take photos of the tournament. I am going to have a video and photographer there for the images as well.

I don't yet have a schedule for when the tournament will be held, but I am working on that with the organizer of UI now. I hope you can make it, this will be a good time and also a great opportunity to tell the greater Asian martial arts community about what we do.

Take care,
Steaphen Fick

PostPosted: Fri 07 May, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Head wrote:

Hi James,

I like the wood because of the natural feeling of the material. my biggest problem with the nylon swords is that they are too light and they are swung more like the shanai, then the wood. Using wood gives people a sense of safety that would not be in place with the steel or the wood.

Another reason I don't like the nylon swords is that it tends to have a memory. It bends and can assume that shape. The wood, being a rigid material, won't bend and that makes the practice last longer. Also, this is a natural material that has been used throughout history and was practiced with for hundreds of years. Using the wood sword allows us to train as they trained, but with more safety equipment.

That being said, I DO NOT advocate swinging hard and trying to hurt the other person. When it comes right down to it, we are all trying to do the same thing, study and learn. We are not in a life or death situation with our sword, so there is no reason for an excess of power on the swing. That doesn't mean that there won't be power in some of the swings, nor does it mean that no one will get hurt. We all understand that we are putting ourselves in a potentially hazardous situation. That reliance upon our friend (the other combatant whether we know them or not) for our safety and their control is what makes this a great community to be a part of. Because we know that we are putting ourself in possible danger we will work to keep safety a high priority.

I like to tell my students that 'any monkey can swing a stick' but we are working on becoming a better combatant and a better person through the practice of self-control in the fight.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armoured and Unarmoured Tournament on May 29, 2010
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic