Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Opinions about Fantasy Armor Design Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 

Would you prefer to play computer game that is...
Historical with realistic combat mechanics
51%
 51%  [ 47 ]
Historical with simplified (arcadey) combat mechanics
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Fantasy with realistic combat mechanics
36%
 36%  [ 33 ]
Fantasy with simplified (arcadey) combat mechanics
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Some other kind of computer game...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't want to play computer games
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 91

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:

This makes sense, however its pretty well-established that heroic characters fight the animals rather than hunt them. Hercules wrestles some legendary lion in one of his labours, King Ashurbanipal kills a lion with a spear from a charging horse cavalry-style, Saint George fights the dragon in plate armor from horseback.
The game is meant to be action-oriented, not medieval version of Deer Hunter - that would make most players fall asleep ;-)

Would she also have to fight human bad guys ? Bandits, rival hunters, run into the occasional marauding horde pillaging an innocent village or peasant cottage and feel the need to fight them off ?

Being attractive she would also better be well armed and armoured if travelling alone in dark places and face various challenges in addition to hunting monster animals.

Since this is fantasy you have a lot of possibilities as far as culture is concerned and a woman warrior/huntress might be on the fringes of acceptable social behaviour. Wink In parts of Europe at certain times she might risk being burned as a witch or be disrespected or assumed to be a prostitute or of low moral character. She might have to fight to teach lessons to those assuming that she would be easy prey or easily bullied.

Adding some of these elements might be interesting plot points or back story to consider.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Walter S

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Adding some of these elements might be interesting plot points or back story to consider.

These elements are already in Happy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

These elements are already in Happy

Good and this justifies the use of effective if moderate armour coverage as well as making the design of the character more " sexy " in the narrow and broad sense of the word. Wink Big Grin Cool

Oh, maybe you mentioned it somewhere in the previous posts, but I missed it, but is this for a Computer Game, and Console Game like the X-Box ??? Just asking as it might be very much something I would buy if the game controls and swordsmanship simulation looks and plays realistically.

Walter S

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, maybe you mentioned it somewhere in the previous posts, but I missed it, but is this for a Computer Game, and Console Game like the X-Box ??? Just asking as it might be very much something I would buy if the game controls and swordsmanship simulation looks and plays realistically.

It is being developed primarily for Windows (PC), but it might be available on Xbox 360 and Mac too - it's not decided yet.
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:

The game is meant to be action-oriented, not medieval version of Deer Hunter - that would make most players fall asleep ;-)

Well, that depends on what design aesthetic you want in the game. "Action" doesn't have to mean just "run around and fight things". You can incorporate aspects of the hunt without turning it into a hunting sim. See for example, the popular "Assassin's Creed" games where to succeed, the player must find out information about his quarry and determine how they want to approach the actual attack, or even the "Hitman" games more recent editions of "Grand Theft Auto".

Let's say, hypothetically, the heroine in your game has to save a village from a band of, let's say goblins. A game can do this several ways, all depending on how you want the game to work.
We could present the player with a path the follow. She starts in the town and then follows this path out of town, into the woods, and then down into a cave, hacking and slashing any goblins she comes across until she reaches the big boss goblin at the bottom of the cave.
We could present the player with a problem and multiple ways to solve it. The goblins are terrorizing the town. Alright, how do we fix it? Maybe we could set a trap and ambush the goblins when they next come to town. Maybe the player can infiltrate the goblin layer (after they find it) and assassinate the big bad boss goblin. Maybe the player can steal the goblins' sacred talisman and plant it with a rival goblin clan. Maybe Bugbladder Beasts eat goblins and there just so happens to be one hanging out in the nearby swamps. Maybe the cave entrance can be collapsed, trapping the goblins inside.

The second option is much more difficult from a storytelling, programming, and all-out game design perspective, but if done well can create a much more rich and fulfilling gaming experience, and you don't have to sacrifice dressing your gal up in armor and having her hit things.
That's not to say the first option is necessarily worse. After all, that's the formula most video games use, so it is comfortable and intuitive.
It all depends on how you want the game to work.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd second the suggestion for a bigger woman. At least make her biceps and thighs look considerably larger--it won't make her look less feminine (well, not by much), while on the other hand a respectable amount of muscle would make a lot more sense for such an ostensibly tough character. I think there has been some prior discussion about this subject that points to such examples as Rhona Mitra's appearance in Doomsday or the standard template (of sorts) for Sarah Connor from Terminator II onwards.

And lose the high heels--aside from being impractical, they look too modern. Medieval warriors and women (and warrior women) alike did just fine without heels, and in fact I think authentically very close-fitting medieval ankle boots would look even sexier than high-heeled knee boots. But maybe that's just me.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
And lose the high heels--aside from being impractical, they look too modern. Medieval warriors and women (and warrior women) alike did just fine without heels, and in fact I think authentically very close-fitting medieval ankle boots would look even sexier than high-heeled knee boots. But maybe that's just me.

Depends on whether you are a "leg man" or a "foot man" Happy
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got to agree about high-heels, always makes me laugh imagining how someone on high-heels would try to run through the woods, especially, wearing armour.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis Aboltins wrote:
Got to agree about high-heels, always makes me laugh imagining how someone on high-heels would try to run through the woods, especially, wearing armour.

Dancing under the stars, in armour, with heels. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

I'm always amazed at woman being able to dance in those things let alone walk in 4" to 5" heels on those programs like:
" So you think you can dance " and " Dancing with the stars ".

If they can do that it might be " interesting " to see a woman bouting with longsword in heels Big Grin Wink Blush

Hmmmm, gives a totally different meaning to assassin with stiletto(s). Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Walter S

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Hmmmm, gives a totally different meaning to assassin with stiletto(s). Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Something like this :P Dark Elf with dual daggers from Lineage II MMORPG

I expect to post revised concept art for the armor later today.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Something like this :P Dark Elf with dual daggers from Lineage II MMORPG

I expect to post revised concept art for the armour later today.

Well I hope we have been of some help even if we sort of got side tracked and distracted by high stiletto heels. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

Looking forward to seeing the new concept drawings. Cool

I would also suggest getting some advice about using realistic longsword techniques as many in this community would certainly run to buy a game using the master cuts and realistic guards as well as windings etc ...... ( If X-Box or MAC, almost a certainty for me that I would seriously consider buying the game ).

Not sure the regular public would understand the subtleties but I thing the real techniques are much more impressive than standard " Hollywood " or " Stage " swordsmanship: The real thing is much more impressive in it's quick lethality.

One possibility is to have your main character who I supposed would be skilled in these techniques face with the less well trained opponents using self-taught techniques based more on wild swinging: What is called a " buffalo " who telegraphs his moves to much and relies on brute strength rather than subtle skills.

There is certainly a lot of available expertise here and elsewhere to give you a clue about the right techniques and you can then see if you can adapt the control system of the game to take advantage of these.

This Feature article can give you a quick primer about what I am talking about: Again I hope this is useful:
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_arms_gls.html

Walter S

PostPosted: Sun 22 Aug, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems I forgot to post those new armor concepts... I hope you don't mind little thread-necromancy :P

Attachment: 120.93 KB
slayer_04.jpg
New armor concepts
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 22 Aug, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like those new ones better, I must admit. A few tweaks and they'll be great.

I'll admit that I like me the occasional game... And when I think of sexy but deadly warrior-women from video games, the foremost in my mind is Hildegard von Krone from the Soulcalibur series. She is heavily armoured, and wields a spear/lance with a backup short sword. There is no debating the form and function (video game-wise), if you've ever given Soulcalibur IV a try. I have experienced my share of serious whippings at her fair hand...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilde_(Soulcalibur)

Sometimes she has a helm, and sometimes she doesn't, but she does have a full suit of plate armour (albeit one not particularly historically based), and still looks attractive. Well, for a videogame woman, anyway. If I was Ryu from Street Fighter, I'd... Big Grin

Just another possible source of inspiration for you, as it seems Hilde was extremely well received by the diehard video game fans when Soiulcalibur IV and Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny were released.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Lucas Simms

PostPosted: Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess the uncovered thighs are purely fanservice.

I don't think you're gonna get too far with realism since the fashion back then would be considered silly by today's unenlightened masses.

Lucas
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This version certainly looks both tougher and more realistic than the first conception. The funniest thing about it is probably the surcoat--as somebody else has mentioned before, my "historical" eye would have expected this style of surcoat to be worn looser and longer (down to the knee) and with a slit at the back as well as the front, or in the later cotehardie style with a leaner hourglass shape, front opening (fastened with buttons or ties), slightly higher hem, and the belt resting on the hips rather than the waist (which would incidentally fit better with the basinet). However, I'm more than willing to accept the compromises in the design as it is, since it already strongly evokes historical features without making the character look unattractive to modern eyes.

You know what's the weirdest thing about this? The first thing I noticed in the design was the princess seams. Yes, the princess seams on the front of the surcoat. Again, it's not really historical since I wouldn't expect something like it before the 16th century or so, but I'm sure only the most hardcore thread-counting and seam-checking nazis would be bothered by this (I'm certainly not bothered, especially in a design that's been honestly billed as "fantasy" right from the start). The vast majority of gamers probably wouldn't even notice that the seam was there!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Opinions about Fantasy Armor Design
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: