Looking for Petersen Sword typology translation
Hey guys,

I had tried the search function but to no avail. Im looking for anyone who has access to a copy of the Petersen sword typology which has been translated.

Im working on my dissertation focusing on the distribution and typology of Viking swords in Britain and Iceland and this work is pretty useful. I have access to the original but unfortunately do not have the time to learn Norwegian. Obviously full reference and credit will be given where it is due.

Many thanks for any help you can give to a scholar and enthusiast!

John Horn

Last edited by J Horn on Sun 14 Feb, 2010 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
You may have seen this already, but there is a partial translation available here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen/ptsn066c.html

Edit: Oops. If you scroll to the bottom of this link it will bring you to the table of contents.

Last edited by M. Livermore on Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
There is a nearly complete translation in PDF form somewhere on the net, unfortunately I do not have the URL on hand. Have you tried the Search function? I believe it was brought up at some other point. My only other idea would be for you to find a Norwegian student and ask him or her to help you... Perhaps even a Norwegian professor... I am sure someone at your university is well versed in Norwegian, and may be willing to help you. Best of luck on your dissertation, do you plan on publishing it when complete?
Cheers,
Hadrian

Last edited by Hadrian Coffin on Thu 11 Feb, 2010 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Re: Looking for Petersen Sword typology translation
J Horn wrote:
Im looking for anyone who has access to a copy of the Petersen sword typology which has been translated. <cut>
... I have access to the original but unfortunately do not have the time to learn German.

Errr, I presume you're referring to De Norske Vikingesverd by Jan Petersen? It's in Norwegian, not German...
Geibig is the german one...
Try http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen/index.html
Just wondering if anyone has access to or has previously read this: (tried the search function to no avail)

JAKOBSSON, Mikael: “Krigarideologi och vikingatida svärdstypologi.” Stockholms
Studies in Archaeology 11, 1992.

From what I can gather he Jakobsson has classified viking age swords in relation to Petersens typology based on 6 design principles related to the shape and form of hilts.

Trying to find this work is a bugger and without going to London to look through the libraries there was wondering if anyone has access to this work. There is an summary in English.

Cheers
What exactly is it that you are looking for in Pettersen? the geographical distribution of the different types? He has a section on that...
I am aware of that.

In order to have a good understanding of the history of typology of the Viking Age im looking for Jakobson's work. Just thought any guys who would be interested in Petersen's work might know of Jakobson too.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: