custom warhammer
About a year ago, someome posted a thread about a custom warhammer they got. It had an animal or man's face with the hammer protruding from it's mouth. I'm trying to find out who made it, but I haven't had any luck with the search.

Thanks for your help,
Rick
I believe you may be referring to that one from arms and armor.

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole232.html

Cheers,

J
No, that's not the one I'm looking for. The one I mean had a man's (or animal) face and the hammer came out of it's mouth. There was a beak on the other side. I think it may have been made by A & A, but I can't find it on their site.

Rick
I don't remember a man's face with a hammer extending from it, but there's an authentic hammer that's a stylized dragon with a hammer emanating from it. A&A did a version of it for many years.

[ Linked Image ]

Venetian, circa 1380

Attachment: 83.25 KB
hammer.jpg
A&A's version, no longer in their catalog
That's the one I was looking for. Thanks Nathan and Julien. Maybe the thread I remember was about the original.

Rick
Hi All,

I am looking for any further information about this piece, specifically the size of the head or a full length shot with a dimension.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Tod
Charles G. wrote:

Actually, the body is some sort of brass/copper-alloy, while the hammer face and back spike are some sort of iron/steel. Why you never see colour shots of this hammer is a total mystery to me.

Also, it is *big* - the A&A repro was about 2/3 the size of the original. The original also had a fairly short haft.

References:
Rossi, Francesco. Mediaeval Arms and Armour. Magna Books. pp. 22-23. Leicester. 1990.
Baron de Cosson, C.A. A War Hammer in the Museo Correr, Venice. The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs Vol. 42, no. 241. pp. 188-190. January-June, 1923.

The second referenced work is available here, for $18. I don't know if it gives measurements, as I can't afford it. Hope I could help at least a bit.

edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot, it is possible to access it for free. It says: "Length of hammer head 21cm, length of shank without haft 23.2cm." There's a full-length photo there as well, but I don't think it's OK to printscreen and post it.
Thanks Adam,

What a monster size as well as its appearence

Tod
Dragon Hammer
Hi Guys

Yes its a big piece. My guess is it was a pole hammer of a sort as opposed to a War Hammer. When we first did our reproduction, way back, we had only a b/w pic no dimensions. We thought it was a hammer due to the length of haft but later on found out we had underestimated the size. I suppose if the head was hollow it might be a hammer but the mass of material at that size if solid would make it difficult to handle one handed as a hammer.

The bi-metal construction is cool and one aspect not done much today as the manufacture gets a bit more time consuming and most folks are less interested in bronze pieces in some cases. Its the old conundrum of us assuming we know better than they did in such matters :) Thing is most times I have been guilty of that the old items have taught me the error of my ways :)

Best
Craig
regardless, it looks awsome
im wondering how one might integrate the top spike into the design of the dragon, maybe engrave it to look like the wings?
Very cute dragon. I'd love to have one of these, full size or not.
Re: Dragon Hammer
Craig Johnson wrote:
Hi Guys

Yes its a big piece. My guess is it was a pole hammer of a sort as opposed to a War Hammer. When we first did our reproduction, way back, we had only a b/w pic no dimensions. We thought it was a hammer due to the length of haft but later on found out we had underestimated the size. I suppose if the head was hollow it might be a hammer but the mass of material at that size if solid would make it difficult to handle one handed as a hammer.

The bi-metal construction is cool and one aspect not done much today as the manufacture gets a bit more time consuming and most folks are less interested in bronze pieces in some cases. Its the old conundrum of us assuming we know better than they did in such matters :) Thing is most times I have been guilty of that the old items have taught me the error of my ways :)

Best
Craig

Craig:

This is a quote I have used on several occasions in the past: "The older I get, the smarter they were."

In my particular instance this was in regard to kilts. I knew---I just KNEW---that there had to be a better material to make kilts from than worsted wool. This modern age, and the wonders it contains, and all that. I tried cotton, including heavy cotton. I tried poly-cotton, I tried denim, I tried some actually quite decent poly-viscose. Finally I broke down and bought some sixteen ounce worsted wool Robertson tartan from Scotland, and sat down with needle and thread.

It sewed easily, it holds together strongly, it drapes well, it wears like iron.

I thought I knew better, but I learned better.

The older I get, the smarter they were.
Put me on the waiting list for one of these bad boys.
Re: Dragon Hammer
Craig Johnson wrote:

I suppose if the head was hollow it might be a hammer but the mass of material at that size if solid would make it difficult to handle one handed as a hammer.

With d=(maximum thickness of hammer~6.3cm) and l=(length of hammer=21cm), a solid brass cylinder would be 5.862 kg. I doubt that that head would have more than the one-third of volume of said cylinder, which gives 1.954 kg (4.30 pounds) for maximum possible weight of head (though it would likely end up lighter). IIRC M2 maces could reach up to 7 pounds, which means that there are 2.7 pounds "remaining" to make a haft and the socket and still stay in realistic, albeit heavy mace territory. All in all, I doubt that it'd be heavier than 5, maybe 6 pounds if properly copied, and I'd consider that manageable.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: