Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Was my Albion not sharpened properly? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
C.M. Lewis

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having it super sharp is admittedly much more of a want than a need. Learning proper technique and doing cutting exercises is something I would be very interested in at some point in the future, though I haven't put serious research into it yet. (Any available training programs that you know of near LG??) Obviously, if the need for an actual weapon ever arose, a sword, sharp or not, wouldn't be my first choice, so it isn't relevant there. The most probable use that I'll have for it in the near future will likely be wild pig hunting this summer. While not entirely legal here in CA, there are outfits in other states that specialize in sword/spear hunting http://www.a-wild-boar-hog-hunting-florida-gu...unting.htm but cutting ability wouldn't be relevant for that either.

The company I work for is geared toward large scale sharpening of knives on industrial machines for restaurants. Name a chain and we most likely do the sharpening for their CA locations. While this is great for the knives in the kitchen drawer or a set of hedge clippers, I would never in a million years consider handing the guys a prized blade. It would come back very sharp and very ugly!

My Sempach is still a beautiful sword with a wicked tip, so I suppose I can live with it as it is.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C.M. Lewis wrote:
My Sempach is still a beautiful sword with a wicked tip, so I suppose I can live with it as it is.

The Sempach is an Oakeshott Type XVII sword. It has a hexagonal cross-section and a robust edge geometry.

Please take note of the context that the history of that type of sword brings: what sort of combat techniques were used, what sorts of targets it faced, what other defenses it might have met. You'll likely find that a robust edge geometry is of paramount importance for such a weapon, just as you'll learn that the tip geometry is an important element to its design.

The simple fact is that for those types of swords, an overly sharp edge would not be robust enough for such a weapon and would often be more brittle than necessary for the targets it would face. It would not be of benefit.

Medieval swords are varied because the tasks that were intended for these swords are just as diverse: different combat techniques, different types of targets, different needs, etc.. This is why blade shape, cross-sectional geometry, edge sharpness, tip shape, dynamic properties, mass, and so many other properties give us such a huge diversity to the European sword. Form follows function.

As mentioned above, this is a good topic to read: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1980

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 04 May, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I don't think you understand what proper edge geometry for that type of sword is supposed to be.

A European medieval-styled sword is not a knife. It's not a katana. It's intended to face very different types of targets and is used in a different manner. As such, the edge geometry and other dynamic properties are quite different.

If you have the expectation that a European medieval-styled sword is supposed to be sharp like a knife or a katana, you are going to be disappointed or surprised.

This subject is covered in detail in many topics on this site.

Actually even katanas aren't as sharp as people think they are...unless your getting one of the special cutting modern geometry. A katana's sharpness is pretty much in the same range of sharpness that you see in western swords. My sensei has a nihonto that cuts through mats like nobody's buisness, but I can still grip the edge and half sword it. In fact I can"bounce" the katana on my nakes arm without getting cut. My H/T basratd sword cut my arm when I tried that. Then again the H/T bastard sword came TOO sharp. I have since then fixed the edge to proper sword sharpness Happy .
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 04 May, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Actually even katanas aren't as sharp as people think they are...unless your getting one of the special cutting modern geometry. A katana's sharpness is pretty much in the same range of sharpness that you see in western swords. My sensei has a nihonto that cuts through mats like nobody's buisness, but I can still grip the edge and half sword it. In fact I can"bounce" the katana on my nakes arm without getting cut. My H/T basratd sword cut my arm when I tried that. Then again the H/T bastard sword came TOO sharp. I have since then fixed the edge to proper sword sharpness Happy .

I was hoping somebody would point that out. Very nice. Wink

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Was my Albion not sharpened properly?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: