Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking advice. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
My understanding is that anything I publish a minnie review in the fourms for won't go into the official and formal submission for publication hopper as long term site content. Its been a bit since I've submitted a review, but each time I add something I feel that I need to make a choice about offical content, or just getting something into the forums.

Not entirely true. Think of this in terms of newsworthiness. Once you've "published" something in the forums it's out there. In news terms, you've "scooped" any future published review you might write; you've lessened its impact and relevance because it's no longer unique. In order to publish a formal review for the review page by the same author about the same item, the submitted review would have to be different enough from the forum post to make it worthwhile to have both out there. I've posted about this subject before, but typically in response to posts that contain essentially all the info one of our full reviews contains, not mini-reviews. A mini-review is just that--mini--and doesn't contain all the essential info found in a full review. Having a mini-review and a full official review by the same author is fine (provided they are materially different). The point has always been: if you're going to take the time to put together essentially a full review, your efforts are better served putting together an official one for the reviews page.

Why the emphasis on full reviews? A forum post is harder to find than a formal review. A forum post doesn't go through our editing and peer review process so may contain incorrect info, mis-spellings, bad grammar, etc. Our formal reviews are much more widely read than forum posts. We know there are many people who read reviews who never log into the forums.

So, mini-reviews are fine and valid and have their place and we want them posted. But if you intend to essentially copy our review format into a forum post, you might want to consider putting that effort into a longer-lasting, easier to find, polished product whose audience and ultimate usefulness will likely be greater than a forum post. We're looking at the impact vs. effort equation: if you are going to put effort into making a pretty complete review, why not get the best bang for your effort buck? Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Mon 19 Apr, 2010 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've posted this before, but for what it's worth...

1) NEVER pay in full up front.
2) Send the maker a registered letter explaining your problem. Assume that they somehow have not gotten your other communications and lay it all out. Explain that you expect at a minimum contact within X amount of time. (in this case it might be too soon only you can decide what is "too soon" for you)
3) If said maker still does not respond then you really have no choice but to go public. I've seen that actually work from time to time in the past.
4) You may have to chalk this up to lessons learned...

A new addendum to this:

5) Don't "help a maker out" by buying something or other unless they have it in hand ready to ship immediately. If you want to give an interest free loan to a maker, or provide them with charity that's fine and admirable but if the maker is in financial trouble it's probably because they have made some poor decisions. Do you really want to give a person making poor decisions your money?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all, I just wanted to close this out by letting everyone know that I did receive the finished project as well as my original piece back and in one piece. I would like to thank everyone for the support and am glad that this is over and that everything came out ok.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking advice.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: