Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Liechtenauer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Sellars wrote:

Cheers, do you have any heimricks (what we use) in your group?

Not sure but I don't think so.

http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/reviews/heimrick/review.html

Looking at the review the hardness of the blade would seem to make these durable but at 4.5 pounds they seem overweight and if not using a great deal of control might be hazardous without a lot of protective gear.

We train in a no touch ( Very light touch tolerated when accidental during bouting and well controlled ) system with onlu gloves and fencing masks, but we emphasize control a great deal and have a perfect record of no serious accidents. ( Even minor accidents are rare and at most a light bruise ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Dan Sellars wrote:

Cheers, do you have any heimricks (what we use) in your group?

Not sure but I don't think so.

http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/reviews/heimrick/review.html

Looking at the review the hardness of the blade would seem to make these durable but at 4.5 pounds they seem overweight and if not using a great deal of control might be hazardous without a lot of protective gear.

We train in a no touch ( Very light touch tolerated when accidental during bouting and well controlled ) system with onlu gloves and fencing masks, but we emphasize control a great deal and have a perfect record of no serious accidents. ( Even minor accidents are rare and at most a light bruise ).

May be I should have been a bit clearer :-). We use heimricks pretty much exclusively and I wondered if you had any idea (with being in Quebec there is a chance you use them as he is based around Montreal, we are in Ottawa) how they held up against the albions. The newer heimricks are not that heavy (more like 3.5lb ish).

I am weary of spending so much on a new sword and then having no one in my group that will fight against it. :-( We do use quite a bit more contact that you describe (most of the time) so there would be a bit more wear involved.

Anyway not to worry, it's all a bit academic as I can't afford one at the moment any way :-)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan no problem the link was there if you where not familiar with them but also for the other readers of this Topic to have context about these swords ( Oh, and I was curious to find out about them also. Wink Cool )

I think they were mentioned in class by our director once, I don't remember what he had to say about them but I'm fairly sure we don't have a member who owns and uses one in our classes: So I don't have personal experience about how they hold up but the R.C. hardness is similar to the Albions and they do seem heavier even if currently lighter that in the linked article.

The Hanwey/Tinker are not at all bad but not as good as the Albions.

I do have a Hanwey/Tinker one hander for 1:33 and it does show deeper dimples in the rounded edges but nothing saw-like at all.

This is the one my friend uses:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+Longsword

The price isn't cheap but really competitive with the Albion on a quality price ration: The Albion is better but not proportionally better for the higher price. If one can afford it the Albion is the best choice but the Hanwey/Tinker is maybe 80% as good at 33% the price Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have used the tinker at a tournament that was held at AEMMA last Nov. http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/reviews/tinker/review.html

They felt great in hand and the thrust was brilliant but after a whole day of fencing they were pretty beat up even just against each other (but then this was pretty competitive). I would not like to use one against a heimrick. I did really like them though, they felt like a sword.
Ben Clayton

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Sellars wrote:
I have used the tinker at a tournament that was held at AEMMA last Nov. http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/reviews/tinker/review.html

They felt great in hand and the thrust was brilliant but after a whole day of fencing they were pretty beat up even just against each other (but then this was pretty competitive). I would not like to use one against a heimrick. I did really like them though, they felt like a sword.

Under the review, it said there were problems with the threaded tang and the allen nut at the end of it. My group has also had trouble with the Tinker/Pearce one handed blades as we have had one tang snap at the pommel, and have had to support the others with lock tight and multiple washers to keep the grip and hilt components tight. Also, we have had a bad run in with the allen bolts as some have been very cheap metal and have stripped out. We contacted the dealer and got them to send us some better quality ones.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Liechtenauer
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: