German all steel rondel repros
Hi All,

I have just completed 2 rondels, one as a comission. They both are entirely steel with black scabbards and steel furniture and both have triangular blades of approximately 13" and I loved making them and I hope you like them too.

They obviously have very narrow handles, but still maintain a very substantial feeling and are very tactile.

Neither were exact copies of any piece in decoration and detail, but the dimensions are taken from original pieces and the decoration certainly fits in with all steel rondels of about 1500-1530.

For anyone over this way, I will be attending the fair in Cergy-Pontoise outside Paris this weekend.

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 133.35 KB
10.jpg

Attachment: 135.69 KB
11.jpg

Attachment: 135.41 KB
12.jpg

Attachment: 143.29 KB
13.jpg

I love both of these. :) Nice work as always!
Chad Arnow wrote:
I love both of these. :) Nice work as always!

I second that. :D :cool:

Very sculptural handles are they steel integral with the blade or are they steel over a standard tang ?

I assume the rondels are not " integral " :lol: If the where integral that would mean working with 2" round bar stock and grinding out the handles or forging them. ;) Just joking here as that would be crazy and not very time or cost effective. :p

With the handles they could be a couple of different approaches as mentioned above and if I look at them very closely I might be able to guess on the assembly method just by looking at how the guard rondel would be put on ? Well I guess slipped on from the front the handle could be of larger diameter than the hole in the guard. ;)

And the " pommel " rondel can be assembled easily with either handle method of construction/assembly.

EDITED/ADDITIONAL: O.K. just had another look and it does look like and assembled handle but the above can still be valid as questions about alternate ways an all steel roundel could be made.
You know the top dagger would compliment A&A's German Branch Sword quite nicely.

Hmmm, maybe trying to accessorize to a dagger is taking things a little too far :blush:
Jason Elrod wrote:
Hmmm, maybe trying to accessorize to a dagger is taking things a little too far :blush:

Not in this case :!:
Mmmm, these are very pretty! Great work as always Tod!
Those are very lovely.
My favoritist dagger and what beauties those are :!:
Thanks Guys.

I must say I do like this type myself. I have been itching to make one for about 3 or 4 years and finally one came onto the books and I was very pleased to have got the comission.

To answer Jean, the top dagger has a handle made of 5 pieces and the two rondels and the bottom one is 3 pieces and the two rondels. The handle pieces are all silver soldered together and the rondels are held by the blade fitting in at the bottom and the tang at the top.

Triangular blades have an odd effect that whatever postion you view them from it looks like the blade has been mounted off centre and I remember the first one I ever did I nearly had a fit when I realised I had somehow messed up the assembly until I turned the knife and discovered this illusion.

Sorry for the delay, I have been off at a show in Paris.

Tod

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: