Iron Age Irish sword
Just finished this simple piece, kind of an amalgam of various aspects of hilt shapes. First I've done in years. Personally I feel that this would be a later design, say 2nd-3rd century AD. It is quite small, in keeping with the character of Irish swords of this time.

Attachment: 45.1 KB
LIA Irish sword.JPG

Attachment: 46.04 KB
LIA irish sword1.1.JPG

Outstanding and great craftsmanship.
Very nice work, always great to see more irish swords.
I have in the works another that will incorporate the more stylistic look of the "Ultimate La Tene" sword hilts. I didn't feel up to the challenge initially to incorporate the more curvatious hilt style they represent. I also will include at the very least the bell shaped campanulate guard piece on the next one, possibly some pin work.
B. Stark wrote:
I have in the works another that will incorporate the more stylistic look of the "Ultimate La Tene" sword hilts. I didn't feel up to the challenge initially to incorporate the more curvatious hilt style they represent. I also will include at the very least the bell shaped campanulate guard piece on the next one, possibly some pin work.

Sounds good to me, cant wait to see it :D
Iron Age Irish sword
Mr. Stark,
Your creation looks more like a knife to me. Don't the inhabitants of Ireland during the Iron Age make longer blades for their swords?
"It's not the size that counts! It's how you use it!"

Just had to say it. ;)

And to make it seem like I've got something relevant to say, there's not really much to give us more than a guesstimate of the size really, but it could be called an oversized dagger or a short sword.
I like this piece a lot. Great work!!! I think the hilt components are really cool, I like how plain they are. I'm looking forward to seeing the one you're working on...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: