Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cinquedea project with Michael Pikula
After getting my Partisan spear from Michael I like the blade so much that I decided to have a Cinquedea made with a similar blade.

Here is that Topic thread for context with pics of the Partisan:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=16789&start=90

Here are some early pics of the blade where you can see the strong central rib that extends into the tang at full thickness giving it maximum strenght even if it is narrow.

The fullers are ground as flats surfaces rather than just being an arc defined by the diameter of a grinding wheel and the blade is forged as opposed to ground from stock.

The mid rib is a air under 3/8" thick by the way.

Attachment: 58.19 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 180.65 KB
[ Download ]
That looks great Jean. It looks like it is going to be a real monster of a dagger, and I use that term loosely by the looks of it! I really love seeing how Michael's work keeps progressing as he does more projects. This also make me happy for another reason. If he is at this stage for your project that means that my next one with him is that much closer to getting started. :cool:

Regards,
Scott
Here are more recent pics much closer to being finished.

Attachment: 174.96 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 179.22 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 192.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 172.24 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 185.02 KB
[ Download ]
The most recent pics: Michael has slimmed down the guard and sharpened the bevels and ridges as he considered and I agreed that the guard was just slightly too chunky.

He also added some engraved lines.

Attachment: 93.73 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 115.79 KB
[ Download ]
Here are a few more pics of just the finished blade.

Attachment: 107.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 133.4 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 158.52 KB
[ Download ]
That is a beautiful piece. Michael does such great work. The guard is just stunning and I love the grind of the blade. Absolutely top notch sir! What about the grip? It seems like "standard" leather covered wood may be a bit bland for this....
Tim Lison wrote:
That is a beautiful piece. Michael does such great work. The guard is just stunning and I love the grind of the blade. Absolutely top notch sir! What about the grip? It seems like "standard" leather covered wood may be a bit bland for this....

Yes you guessed correctly the handle won't be the usual leather covered handle, it will be Blackwood that Michael tells me is very durable and when polished and oiled will really " pop ", in his words, with the rest of the handle/guard/pommel.

The pommel is bronze and there will be bronze bands on the grip. There is also going to be some engraving on the pommel maybe just a scribed circle although I'm leaving it to Michael to decide how much engraving is enough and not too much.

The Blackwood is the dark one on the right of the pic, the other two are Palm Wood and the lightest one is Olive wood.
Michael gave me these 3 as options but I went with his recommendation for Blackwood.

Attachment: 184.25 KB
[ Download ]
Oh, if people have questions Michael will probably chime in when he has the time ( not working on my project. :p :lol: ).

The blade is close to 4" wide at the guard and around 18" long, so it's a short sword scale large dagger, I also chose the simple lines of a very pronounced central ridge contrasting with very wide and flat fullers and reinforced edges.

The multifullered Cinquedeas are also very attractive and I'm sure Michael could make one with as many fullers as practical that another customer might want, I really like the look of the main blade of my spear and just upscaled the blade to bigger but similar. Strong central ridges really appeal to me aesthetically and give maximum strength to a blade combined with light weight due to the wide and deep fullers.
now THAT is a pretty pretty dagger. i like everything, the blade, the sleek curving crossguard, the round pommel.. all of it.
ah i always wondered, were there ever a version of cinquedea with a long blade ( as in langschwert)
I'm soooo jealous! :cool: Jean, that's a nice sword - wish it were mine. :cry: Enjoy it, my friend!
Ahh...a shiny black wood with brass bands sounds like it will be just perfect for the grip! Something similar to Records XVIII.12 comes to mind. That's really goning to look great, can't wait to see it. How about a scabbard for it?
yes a black wood would look lovely i hope you will like the blade as it looks stunning for now :D
Boris R. wrote:
now THAT is a pretty pretty dagger. i like everything, the blade, the sleek curving crossguard, the round pommel.. all of it.
ah i always wondered, were there ever a version of cinquedea with a long blade ( as in langschwert)

I would say yes there are sword sized Cinquedea or Cinquedea styled swords:
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxxi-xxii.html

The style seems to have included short dagger length ones and bigger short sword/dagger sized one as well as full sized swords.
Tim Lison wrote:
Ahh...a shiny black wood with brass bands sounds like it will be just perfect for the grip! Something similar to Records XVIII.12 comes to mind. That's really goning to look great, can't wait to see it. How about a scabbard for it?

Yes there will also be a scabbard made by Michael for it with a belt stud that can be used by itself to keep the scabbard secure if worn between a belt and the body or used with a frog.

Some simple hardware also for the scabbard although not a n overly ornate scabbard as I wanted to put more money into making the dagger than into a highly decorated scabbard.

The scabbard of this dagger is what Michael mentioned as what my scabbard would be based on:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=
Etienne Hamel wrote:
yes a black wood would look lovely i hope you will like the blade as it looks stunning for now :D

Yeah but it's not just black wood but a species of wood called " Blackwood ". ;) :cool:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:

Yes there will also be a scabbard made by Michael for it with a belt stud that can be used by itself to keep the scabbard secure if worn between a belt and the body or used with a frog.

Some simple hardware also for the scabbard although not a n overly ornate scabbard as I wanted to put more money into making the dagger than into a highly decorated scabbard.

The scabbard of this dagger is what Michael mentioned as what my scabbard would be based on:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

Good choice on the scabbard design ;) :lol: Seriously, this is gonna be a heck of a piece Jean. The more I look at that crossguard the more I am in awe of Michael's talent.
More progress pics as the handle is being built and roughed out.

This if pre-final fitting and polishing.

WOW ! I'm impressed and even more happy since it's my project. ;) :D

Oh, if anyone wants to order the same, or almost the same, from Michael it's O.K. with me as I always find it more satisfying to have a design I commissioned be enjoyed by others rather than having an exclusive " one only " made.

Attachment: 147.88 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 116.81 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 117.04 KB
[ Download ]
Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. Great piece there Jean. The grip looks excellent, not overdone but enough to be interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing this one finished!
Looks superb in all aspects Jean!

Were you thinking about adding something to the recesses in the pommel?

Cheers

Jason
J Anstey wrote:
Looks superb in all aspects Jean!

Were you thinking about adding something to the recesses in the pommel?

Cheers

Jason

No not really as I sort of line clean lines and I haven't thought of anything in particular that I would like.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: