Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can Someone Help With Possible Identification of This Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Todd C

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Can Someone Help With Possible Identification of This Sword?         Reply with quote

Hello,

Would any of you knowledgeable people be able to help me with any identification of this sword?

Here is what I know: it was bought on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, New Orleans. There is a world class armaments dealer there - he has full coats of armor from middle ages, 15th c. guns, Rev War stuff and a lot more. He said that the blade was without question British, but the guard and handle most definitely were not. His belief was that a soldier stole it from a Red Coat [probably dead], then removed the handle and guard to make it into an "American" weapon.

I've been trying to do some research and have found similar looking swords. Here are a couple of them:
- French Hanger/Small Sword Circa 1710-1740 - - Blade 30" x 7/8" - - total length 38"
- English Small Sword Circa 1750-1760 - - Blade 28 3/4" x 3/4" - - total length 34 1/2"
- English Morning Small Sword Circa 1740-1750 - - total length 35 7/8"

The measurements of my sword is: Blade 29 3/8" x 7/8" - - total length 34 7/8"

I've included some pictures to show the sword and the engravings and blade style. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Best,
Todd

Last edited by Todd C on Sat 03 Apr, 2010 8:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Todd,

It looks like a nice stout blade and from about that period. You may enjoy the following pages.

http://swordlinks.com/courtswords/intro.html

In any case, regard the item and not the stories or sellers, especially regarding beliefs. " His belief was that a soldier stole it from a Red Coat [probably dead], then removed the handle and guard to make it into an "American" weapon." I honestly would think not the case, as a whole sword would rarely have been disturbed to make it more American. That the hilt was added at some time quite likely but pursue the blade itself with disregard to other beliefs.

It was actually looking through the link above that determined the rehafted and broken "damascus" smallsword blade of a piece I picked up to be recognizable in its original form (the additional work quite modern).

Cheers

GC
Todd C

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Glen,

Thanks a lot for your reply and for the link. I will look through the information. I also appreciate your recommendation on pursuing the blade rather than story. I was intrigued by the story because I volunteer my time outside of my job teaching kids about the Declaration of Independence and Revolutionary War. I had hoped that this sword was used in the Revolution as suspect by the seller. It would make a great visual aid and give kids a first hand look at a "possible" weapon used during that era.

thanks again,

Todd
Todd C

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: British or French Markings?         Reply with quote

Does anyone know if these markings are of British origin or French? Or perhaps other?

Last edited by Todd C on Sat 03 Apr, 2010 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd, I merged your topic asking about blade markings into this topic as they are about the same subject.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can Someone Help With Possible Identification of This Sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic