myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hungarian Gendarmes. Help! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Samuel Bena

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Zoltan Toth wrote:

I'll post some pics from the "The army of the Transylwanian Principality"
(Az Erdélyi fejedelemség hadserege) on next weekend. Samuel, I'll continue the other thread too.
Pics from Győző Somogyi (naiv painter; he thinks, he could paint Happy )

Zoltán

That would be awesome Zoltán , thank you very much. I am especially interested in the subsequent faith of Zapolyas army following the Mohacs battle. Sadly, besides the Polish stuff (the excellent Brezinski comes to mind) there isn't much written in English on our region (and sadly my knowledge of hungarian is non-existent).

János Sibinger wrote:

One type of soldiers... Or semi soldiers that might be interesting from your point of wiev are Hajdúk. (One : hajdú. More: hajdúk)
These people originally were stockmen, looking after neat. (Cows, etc. I hope this was the word for it!) After the great geographical discoveries, Western-European countries started to upgrade their industry, meanwhile Hungary tried to make money of agriculture. We have hearded animals, and neat was the main export good of the kingdom during the Turkish stay. These animals represented high value, so thus these ,,cowboys" gained right to use weapons for the protection of the herd and themselves. These stockmen, experienced in fighting were welcome in the war against the Turkish raiding and staying forces, during the 150 years of the ocuppation.
On the end of the XVI.st century, there were two types of hajdú-s. The royal hajdú, who received 2 forints per month, and served in the végvár-s (castles and fortifications wich were built for the defence of our borders) and the free hajdú-s, were given their own land to live on (and some further special rights, similar to the nobility's) on the very beginning od the XVII.nd century, by István Bocskay.

Interesting insight János ! Often herdsmen , shepards and the like were among the fiercest of fighting men ... On a side note , are the "Yugoslav" hajduks related to the Hungarian ones?.. It seem that the ones from the balkans were more of an outlaws.. (But perhaps Boris could correct me and offer his perspective)

Cheers,
Samuel
Boris R.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hajduk is, altough celebrated, first and foremost an outlaw, highwayman, bandit, a brigand but sometimes also known for organizing in tightly knit guerrilla groups to fight turks in invaded Bosnia and Dalmatia. I would say he would be exactly opposite to Žandar (gendarm) whose duty would be to enforce law.
There were some connections to herders or shepherds (called Čobani or Pastiri in Croatia) as much as to royal army deserters and the name Hajduk had become (wrongly) synonimous in 20th century with Tito's Partisans as they were both considered simillar in that they were the force of resistance raised from common peasant stock and very often they both lived hiding in the woods or rocky passages and setting ambushes for their adversary.
Also there seems to exist a confusing term "Hajdučija" about which i am not 100% certain, cause it could be interpeted as a work of hajduks (meaning robbery) or it could also represent a whole regiment of Hajduks.
The last known true Hajduk (altough more akin to the wild west gunslingers than anything else) dies in october of 1923. his name was Charuga and he became a legend even during his time when some called him The Robin Hood of Haiduks.

here is an insert from the movie, Čaruga (1991.) which shows his death by hanging
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KjxnJsvu6k&feature=related

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hungarian Gendarmes. Help!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: