Nope, sorry.
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Yes!
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Help identifying a random bit of history
I found this half buried in my backyard when I was a wee little lad and played with it all the time (it was shaped like a helmet! :lol: ) Anyway, after the years went by, I forgot about it. Soon after reading this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19190 , I found my metal piece again and the resemblance struck me as too similar.

My question to you good people is this: Could this be a broken pommel from a dueling sword?

It seems to be made of bronze (by my lack of knowledge). It is heavy for its size and being hollow. On the visor of the knights helm are the letters K P. When viewed from the top, the eagle's back seems to form a distinctive cross shape, and there appear to be slight hammer marks on the eagle back (where the pommel was peened?)

Enough of my pondering, let there be pictures!

Attachment: 15.4 KB
Photo 42.jpg
A front view

Attachment: 18.53 KB
Photo 43.jpg
A side view

Attachment: 11.81 KB
Photo 44.jpg
A shot of the "cross" and hammer marks
I have nothing smart to say, but I feel it might be a dueling sword pommel. :)
K.P. almost certainly stands for Knights of Pythias. It is probably a ceremonial sword from that fraternal organization, used in a ritual.
Help in identi.....
Nathan,

Can't say for certain as I don't know your locale.. Looks to me like the pommel from a small sword, quite possibly a lodge sword of some sort . Also the KP could be Knights of Pythias a lodge or benevolent organization that existed a maybe 90-100 years ago

Cheers,
Dan
Yep, Knights of Pythias sword pommel - seen a few of these on EvilBay! :)
My guess would be a late 19th century ceremonial sword.
Knights of Pythias still exists. Fraternal orders have declined in their membership post-WWII, but they're still around.
After thinking about it a bit, my vote is that it's from a freemason sword. I think (I'm not sure) that one of the mason swords I've handled had a Knight's head pommel.

Also, a google image search for freemason sword pommel shows at least one knights's head.[/i]
It's a Knights of Pythias sword, not Masonic. I don't know about the rituals of the Knights of Pythias but I guess they must have something similar to the Masonic Tyler. Google "Knights of Pythias sword," there are many pictures of examples similar to this one.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: