Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Girl armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Margot S.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to bump this so many months after the fact.

Headband turned out very nice. : D
Neither of us are finished...Boyfriend is lacking his mail skirt, breastplate, and pole axe, and I would like to continue to improve my armor as well. This picture is old now, but was taken not long after my last post.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice: The headband really works and the lack of breast plate or maille shirt on your boyfriend is " hidden " by his surcoat and his kit really looks good now and should be awesome when the missing bits are added to it.

So, what kind of reactions did you get !?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terribly sorry for a quick off-topic question, but... what exactly is the war hammer you're using there, Margot? It's stunning! I must have one. ;D lol...

Your kit looks fantastic, really one of the best I've seen (though I hang out around SBG more then here, so I don't see too much armor, unfortunately....). I especially love the hammer and the mail coif. EPIC, to the max, I assure you. ;-)

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

-Brogdon

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brogdon Combs wrote:
Terribly sorry for a quick off-topic question, but... what exactly is the war hammer you're using there, Margot? It's stunning! I must have one. ;D lol...

-Brogdon

The warhammer this would be it: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...War+Hammer

Not very expensive so I wonder on the quality of the haft i.e. durability of the wood as some of the " cheap " polearms use very soft or easy to break wood.

At the price if the head is of decent quality one could replace the haft.

Maybe Margo can give you her personal experience with it ? It may be a really good bargain or just a nice looking " wallhanger " ?

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Margot,

You don't, by any chance, babysit do you? I'll bet the little brats would go to bed when you told them to if you were in full kit!!! LOL!!!

The headband looks very good, much better than the helm. I still think you'd do better with a sword than the war hammer but I can imagine that there would be questions of scale with a lot of the larger swords. I imagine a riding sword wouldn't be too big.

Good job to you both,

Ken
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

The warhammer this would be it: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...War+Hammer

Not very expensive so I wonder on the quality of the haft i.e. durability of the wood as some of the " cheap " polearms use very soft or easy to break wood.

At the price if the head is of decent quality one could replace the haft.

Maybe Margo can give you her personal experience with it ? It may be a really good bargain or just a nice looking " wallhanger " ?

Thanks, Jean! I actually did a bit of research myself and found out that it's made of stainless steel and produced by the infamous BudK, so there goes that idea, I'm afraid... unless Margot has some redeeming comments for it, of course! 8-)

I appreciate the help... now I just need to start a thread on a Windlass hammer I found for $70 that seems pretty decent. I wonder if anyone has experience with it?

-Brogdon

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brogdon Combs wrote:
I appreciate the help... now I just need to start a thread on a Windlass hammer I found for $70 that seems pretty decent. I wonder if anyone has experience with it?

-Brogdon

Yes, please do start a new thread so this one doesn't become off-topic. When you start the new thread, please let everyone know which Windlass hammer you're speaking of. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aww, you guys both look so freakin' cool that I'm somehow annoyed by it. Wink

Good call on ditching the helmet Margot, and I still think the warhammer was a nice change of pace that added a lot of character to your personna. You guys would have definitely been the hit of our recent Ren Faire in Raleigh. (or perhaps "Pirate-Fest" would have been a more appropriate name for it.)

Thanks very much for the picture update!
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Boyfriend reporting for duty...

The warhammer she borrowed was one of my buddy's he'd bought back in middle school. It's a complete piece of junk, truly, but we didn't have an appropriate sword that didn't drag the ground.

Hilariously, we weren't much of a hit at all. Margot was inspiring to a number of little girls though.

Pirates didn't approve I guess, but we had fun anyhow. The faire really isn't anything special these days...the lack of anything truly medieval is annoying, and once the Schola St. George quit showing a up a few years back, it really lost its luster.

Here's a picture of us at a wedding precession we unintentionally crashed.

(This picture makes me realize that I really need to get to work on that period legwear and full greaves as well)
Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Brogdon Combs wrote:

-Brogdon

Yes, please do start a new thread so this one doesn't become off-topic. When you start the new thread, please let everyone know which Windlass hammer you're speaking of. Thanks!

Yessir, will do. 8-)

Thanks for the tip; it WOULD be kinda stupid if I didn't mention what it was. ;-)

New thread to be started post-haste, as requested.

-Brogdon

-Strongblade.com
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys look great, I am sorry to hear there was not more of a positive response to the outfits...

My .02 on faires now days:

This year was probabaly the last time we will go to the Atlanta Faire. I went to the first one when I was 14 years old back in 1985 - and have went nearly every year over the 25 seasons which have passed since. You are right in that they do not really offer much for a medieval enthusiast or history buff. The Atlanta Faire is now all about pirates, imported junk sold at over-inflated prices, and vendors who drink profusely on the job and are plain out rude, crass, or inconsiderate of what few customers they have. The faire is more and more about the people who work there and not the people who attend to pay the bills. It's not even a family atmosphere anymore really, at least by my middling standards. I mean, they are actually considering putting in ye olde tattoo shop and piercing parlor next year at ours. WTF?!

I think we are finished with faires ourselves. They just arn't fun anymore; which is quite sad because I see people such as yourself put so much into giving atmosphere to the faire I used to enjoy to going to.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can agree with just about everything you said Sarge, down to having first attended at the age of fourteen. Ours is the Norman Medieval Fair in Oklahoma, and despite the less convenient location, I think we'll be taking our business to Scarborough Faire in Texas instead. Never been there, but I'm hoping to find something a little more appropriate and enjoyable. If that doesn't work, I'm giving up on the faire aspect entirely... Confused
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I mean, they are actually considering putting in ye olde tattoo shop and piercing parlor next year at ours. WTF?!

That is a terrible idea. My disclaimer is that I'm a tattoo elitist.

The thought of being tattooed in a tent or otherwise non-permanent building in a dust-filled fair is not a good environment for hygiene and proper healing. Then there is the fact that most people are heavily drinking at these things. Now I know it's a long-time tradition in tattoo culture to get wasted and get a tattoo, but that's a recipe for getting a bad tattoo. Alcohol thins the blood, dehydrates a person, and makes skin a less-than-adequate medium for a quality tattoo. The thought of people leaving after getting a tattoo at the fair and walking around in said dust-filled outdoors environments is another recipe of disaster. Proper after-care of a tattoo is crucial to retaining its quality. Nothing is worse than an infected, scabbed up, piece of crap tattoo with areas where ink fell out and the lines expanded due to dryness and poor after-care methods. What a stupid and irresponsible idea.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
I can agree with just about everything you said Sarge, down to having first attended at the age of fourteen. Ours is the Norman Medieval Fair in Oklahoma, and despite the less convenient location, I think we'll be taking our business to Scarborough Faire in Texas instead. Never been there, but I'm hoping to find something a little more appropriate and enjoyable. If that doesn't work, I'm giving up on the faire aspect entirely... Confused

You guys should try the St. Louis Ren Faire. It's a decent-sized faire and is very family friendly. Best of all, it's in a wooded setting so it doesn't get scorching hot!

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

Hilariously, we weren't much of a hit at all. Margot was inspiring to a number of little girls though.

Pirates didn't approve I guess, but we had fun anyhow. The faire really isn't anything special these days...the lack of anything truly medieval is annoying, and once the Schola St. George quit showing a up a few years back, it really lost its luster.

Well, sorry to hear that but first of all one does it for oneself any praise is just bonus points but certainly it might be better if you can find a fair or a group that takes the costuming more seriously and are generally more knowledgeable than the " subhuman " ORCS and ELVES that inhabit what is loosely still called a Renfair. ( My apologies to any ORCS out there: If it's fun I have no problem with it, it's just nice to find a group with stuff we might find interesting ).

Oh, then there is the reverse problem of groups that make it difficult to fit in if one's buttons are 10 years out of date. ( Again, nothing wrong with that either but lets not suck all the fun out of it by being intolerant of compromises to kit to be able to afford it or just the learning curve of knowing all the minutia of period costuming or customs ).

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:
I mean, they are actually considering putting in ye olde tattoo shop and piercing parlor next year at ours. WTF?!

The thought of being tattooed in a tent or otherwise non-permanent building in a dust-filled fair is not a good environment for hygiene and proper healing. Then there is the fact that most people are heavily drinking at these things. Now I know it's a long-time tradition in tattoo culture to get wasted and get a tattoo, but that's a recipe for getting a bad tattoo. Alcohol thins the blood, dehydrates a person, and makes skin a less-than-adequate medium for a quality tattoo. The thought of people leaving after getting a tattoo at the fair and walking around in said dust-filled outdoors environments is another recipe of disaster. Proper after-care of a tattoo is crucial to retaining its quality. Nothing is worse than an infected, scabbed up, piece of crap tattoo with areas where ink fell out and the lines expanded due to dryness and poor after-care methods. What a stupid and irresponsible idea.

Yeah, that sounds dangerous and unappealing ! Just wait until they get sued for $10,000,000 because someone got flesh eating disease ! WTF?!

How about a piercing shop next to that combined with maille making where all the rings are riveted into the skin. Razz Laughing Out Loud
( Just an over the top " joke " for now until someone is insane enough to try it to win a Guinness record for the most piercings Eek! Laughing Out Loud Sorry, couldn't resist the image when it popped into my head, although your warning about the tattoo hazards are very serious. Cool ).

Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:

Well, sorry to hear that but first of all one does it for oneself any praise is just bonus points but certainly it might be better if you can find a fair or a group that takes the costuming more seriously and are generally more knowledgeable than the " subhuman " ORCS and ELVES that inhabit what is loosely still called a Renfair. ( My apologies to any ORCS out there: If it's fun I have no problem with it, it's just nice to find a group with stuff we might find interesting ).

Oh, then there is the reverse problem of groups that make it difficult to fit in if one's buttons are 10 years out of date. ( Again, nothing wrong with that either but lets not suck all the fun out of it by being intolerant of compromises to kit to be able to afford it or just the learning curve of knowing all the minutia of period costuming or customs ).

Of course, of course...also, there are much cheaper ways of attaining praise than a multi-thousand dollar kit.

I'm sure we'll find something that will work just fine eventually. Cool
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:

As someone who with his wife just got a few new tattoos I have to agree. She would never have gotten one in a tent at a faire. Also there is the time issue. It takes upwards of two hours for a "small" tattoo with a lot of color in it. I can't see any patrons or faire staff having that much block of time for a tat at faire. Doesn't make sense at all!
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

That is the faire that started my jousting career (way back in '81!). The duckpond will always hold fond memories for me.

As for faires, after jousting, managing, and directing many, many faires over the years the honest truth is that they are craft fairs with entertainment. The entertainment follows what ever is "hot" at the time (just Google the number of Robin Hood shows at faires this year) and making $$$ trumps historical correctness in most faires. With that being said, there are 3 renaissance guilds (St. George, St. Michael, and St. Lawrence) that demand historical correctness and do a completely under-appreciated job in keeping the history alive in the face of pirates and fantasy consumerism. If you get a chance, make sure that you stop by these guilds if/when you get a chance to learn and appreciate what they do.

As for you two, to quote Billy Crystal - "You Look Marvelous!"

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Girl armor
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: