Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jagmesser Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Jagmesser         Reply with quote

HI! ..

Yesterday i was looking messers and german knives in the web ... and I found the Jagmesser circa 1350, Germany?? ... my question is ..It was made for hunting , fighting , ceremonial or ?.. I like these kind of long knives ... seems like a hunting trousse

Link:

http://www.khm.at/de/neue-burg/sammlungen/hof...hrhundert/

Attachment: 23.74 KB
HJRK_D_198_40841.jpg

“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jagdmesser translates as "Hunting knife" so it seems the set was intended for use during the hunt.
"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Daniel! ... Happy well ... hmm ... I hope that everyone enjoy this picture .. Happy
“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Dmitry Z~G

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These heavy knives [cleavers, really] were used to disembowel the dead game. Note the absence of guards.
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice pictures... thanks for posting... I am actually in the process of cutlering myself a treuse in this style using a Stroemeng blade (any idea how to do an umlaut here?)...

question... did it say if that is a leather covered wood sheath? The blade I am using is so sharp it cut through both a leather and a raw hide sheath I made for it... I will need to make a wooden one next and have been looking for an origional like this for ideas.

didn't see that you had the link... will do a translation give me a few minutes.
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, a bit rough... didn't do the research for a couple of terms and my German needs a little bit of work... here is what I got...

Two Hunting Knives with Sheath
arround 1350

The flat grips of the Knife pair have bone and horn strips glued on that are with colorful, part inlaid as paste Vierpass ?, chess board and flowers for example rank designs decorated in red, green and black. Point designs for example as little crosses inlaid silver pieces elaborate the décor. The wide, flat blades both end in a point and are marked with a 12 leafed signature and master mark of the unknown blade smith.

The no longer complete sheath is composed of black, pressed and cut leather. Located in the middle on the front is a crest crowned with a great helm. A dragon and three cornered palmetto above as well as a late roman Blattranken? Below fill the decorated area. The back is covered in a simple Gratmuster? Has two now narrow empty cut vacancies in the style of Futteralen that could have been used for a Pfriem, a sharpening steel or a small by knife.

This hunting set, probably the earliest example that has survived has the crest of the familie Wartensee which died out in 1372. In 1351 Zurich joined the Confederation of the four forest cities. In August, Prince Albrecht II of Austria appeared in Brugg. He was given gifts by the city of Zurich to appease him to which this hunting set probably also belonged which was attributed to the donation of the cathedral of Zurich by Rudolf of Wartensee. This was obviously for naught as Zurich was besieged three times in the following years.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jagmesser
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic