Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Underarm vs overarm spear usage Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
L. Clayton Parker

PostPosted: Wed 05 May, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spear technique         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:

What makes you so confident that Bo techniques work better than spear techniques?
Does the martial art you study also have spear material?

Cheers,
Steven

I made no claim to better....

Lee

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh, because of fear in the night. -The Song of Songs, Which Is Solomon's
Andrew Maxwell

PostPosted: Wed 05 May, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spear technique         Reply with quote

L. Clayton Parker wrote:
Steven H wrote:

What makes you so confident that Bo techniques work better than spear techniques?
Does the martial art you study also have spear material?

Cheers,
Steven

I made no claim to better....

Lee

Actually you kind of skipped better and went straight to best Wink . In saying that it doesn't look like there was any EMA vs WMA/ my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad silliness intended. I'm pretty sure what you meant was that, if one wants to learn spear techniques, learning Bo is one possibility (and there's a fair likelihood that European spear techniques would have been similar, so it's not necessarily a bad way to go).

Men do not care how nobly they live, but only how long, although it is within the reach of every man to live nobly, but within no man's power to live long. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Juan Cocinas

PostPosted: Wed 05 May, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lots of interesting stuff, very cool to see the Vadi pics, but i feel i must clarify: The original question of the thread I meant in terms of single-handed spear use. The renaissance polearm stuff and asian staff forms are great, but in the main require two hands. I find spear-and-shield combat a very interesting puzzle, and suspect that many of you on this site have put far more of the pieces together than I have Happy
"Resist your time- take a foothold outside it." Lord Acton
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Juan Cocinas wrote:
Lots of interesting stuff, very cool to see the Vadi pics, but i feel i must clarify: The original question of the thread I meant in terms of single-handed spear use. The renaissance polearm stuff and asian staff forms are great, but in the main require two hands. I find spear-and-shield combat a very interesting puzzle, and suspect that many of you on this site have put far more of the pieces together than I have Happy
Just out of curiosity have you looked at the Gladiatoria stuff? I think you'd find it interesting. They give some specific techniques for one handed spear (sometimes they switch to two hands as well), although the only overhand one really is 'Thrust strongly from above and make sure you don't miss.'

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot there, and a lot of it is kind of gimmicky, but it's worth looking at. I know that there are translations kicking around too; Hugh Knight has one for sale at Lulu. and somewhere Jeffrey Forgeng has done a translation as well, IIRC.

Ottawa Swordplay
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Juan Cocinas wrote:

Juan,

Read my reply a bit more carefully - I used the Vadi pics to discuss which way the rear hand was gripping the spear, and what that might or might not tell us about using the spear one-handed. That ties into the partizan and rotella material, which is one-handed spear use.

Hope that is clearer!

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Juan Cocinas

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My apologies, Greg. I am guilty of nerding out on the pics, and then reading your words and the bo staff debate in a sort of historically glazed mindstate. Got sidetracked and posted without rereading. Thinking about it now, the rear hand is used almost exclusively in the "underhand" grip with basically any weapon or tool that you would wield two-handed to thrust, slash, or cut. Even baseball bats and golf clubs Happy I think that your example adds a bit more weight to my little supposition.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No worries, just wanted to make sure that you understood the point I was trying to make. Wink
Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Nathan F

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 May, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

are we talking one handed spear or two handed?
from experience one handed is more controlled underarm but with practice im sure over arm would be the same. historically speaking overarm seems more used. the hoplites etc evolved the pankration hammer fist techniques from it. and in the bayuex tapestry nearly all Norman infantry are holding their spears overarm.
in a group situation i found overarm much better as you can stab over shields underarm was easy to rush and jam against the shield. i know many reenactors who are rather good with the single handed spear in this fashion.
if you watch this video you can see various styles being used there is a guy in the foreground at about 1.50 using his underarm but from the very end of the spear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzeegViiuY&feature=related

for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 08 May, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, I was at that battle... My group is standing behind the house in the middle of the line. :P

In western style reenactment, the target area for spears is very limited; you can only thrust to the torso. Further more, the underhand thrust is not used due to safety cosideration; the thrusts are deemed to hard, and presicion to low.

The group on the left in the clip had been experimenting a lot with short, light one handed spears last year. The logic is that a light spear, held all the way at the end, has almost the same reach as a longer spear held 2/3 down the shaft.
This works Ok if you are facing an opponent which has small shields and/or few long spears. Against a line heavy in full length spears, like the sweedish "spear coast", you will simply not reach the foe.

I also fought with fencing masks an full body target at the same market, which is a quite different game. In regular WSreenactment, scoring a kill one on one with a one handed spear is likely to take a while. With face hits, kills come fast if you are not paying attention.
Underhand is still better for feinting, which might even work occationally, since you can threatend the face. Overhand appears to be better at pushing and close combat, but unfortunately we don't do enough fencing mask to get propper experience with the underhand compared to overhand...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Juan Cocinas

PostPosted: Sun 09 May, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just found Lloyd's website. Check this out: http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/weapons/spear.html He also made himself a really impressive hoplite panoply. This guy is frickin' cool Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Underarm vs overarm spear usage
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: