Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Chimera Line Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Chimera Line         Reply with quote

We're just about to debut a new sub-$600 sword line. Here's the desciptive text that will be on my site:

Christian Fletcher, Angus Trim and Valiant Armoury collaborate to offer this line of historically inspired swords. Each is a fusion of Angus Trim performance and Christian Fletcher aesthetics.
Blades CNC milled from 5160 steel and aerospace heat treated, hand finished by Angus Trim
Hilt fittings are cast stainless steel, molded from Christian Fletcher originals
Permanent assembly with blade recessed into guard, all components fixed to tang
Grips, hand made by Christian Fletcher, are poplar with fine cord wrap under a leather cover
Optional scabbard and belt designs produced by Valiant Armoury

And here's a photo of one of the initial models, the Danish Raider

Attachment: 23.68 KB
Danish Raider.jpg

Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. The market needs more quality sub-$600 swords. I hope to see more.

I like the permanent grips that this line will have. Not sure about the stainless steel fittings though.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Mark T

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree about the need for more pieces at this price point; I think I recall Gus years ago saying how they can serve a role not only in their own right, but also as a good 'stepping stone' to people progressing to purchasing higher-end work, or commissioning custom pieces.

Personally, I'm more than happy to see makers offering pieces with stainless fittings. There are a few threads on here by forumites who have bought very high-end swords, only to have the guards arrive rusty and stay rusty; I live in a humid area, and it seems like it's easier to keep blades rust-free than it is fittings ... I know this might not be to the taste of those wanting 'historically accurate' pieces, but then, the steel and method of production of most swords today is not historically accurate either. I'll happily accept modern steels for their performance, and stainless fittings for their ease of maintenance.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Always neat to see new things coming into the market. Will look forward to seeing what the line looks like as you flesh it out. FWIW I also think that $600 is a nice magic price point. At least it is for me. Get to far beyond it and the purchase has to be more carefully considered...it can't be an impusle buy. Get to much below the price point and it seems like I just can't find some of the things I like in the offerings.

Good luck with this. Big Grin

Edit to clean up typing.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
A. Kotlyarevsky

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Always neat to see new things coming into the market. Will look forward to seeing what the line looks like as you flesh it out. FWIW I also ting that $600 is a nice magic price point. at least it is for me. Get to far beyond it and the purchase has to be more carefully considered...it can't be an impusle buy. Get to much below the price point and it seems like I just can't find some of the things I like in the offerings.

Good luck with this. Big Grin

Who spends $600 on an impulse?! Eek!

Though I will admit that the $600 price point definitely makes these a possibility.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Kotlyarevsky wrote:
Who spends $600 on an impulse?! Eek!

There have been times when I could and times when I could not. Guess the point is that when the timing comes together, at that price point, I can be a bit impulsive if the mood strikes. Big Grin Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love the permanent assembly (Peened?), but the stainless steel pommel and crossguard is a deal breaker for me. Any chance for any of these with an option of non-stainless steel components?

Just curious, why the stainless steel? Is it cheaper, easier, or did you have marketing research that indicated this was the preference of the majority of potential purchasers in this market/price point?

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We're re-purposing the Valiant Signature Line hilt components for these, which contributes a great deal toward keeping the price down. Those components, however, all all cast in advance in large batches, so we're constrained to the material preferred by the larger dealer clientele: stainless steel.
Christian Fletcher
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

personally stainless steel hilt components are really not a problem to me. Sure they may not be historically accurate, but if it means the hilt pieces don't rust, I'm on board. I currently own a windlass viking sword and the pommel has to be constantly cleaned to keep away rust. Get's a little old in my opinion.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But doesn't stainless also have a different sheen than non-stainless? Perhaps the sheen is more a question of how it is finished.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no objection to stainless steel furniture, as long as it doesn't get too shiny.

Why was Chimera chosen as the name for this sword group? It has a number of definitions, none of which would positively encourage me to buy a sword of that line.

1) In Greek mythology, a female monster, daughter of Typhon. She had a lion's head, goat's body, and serpent's tail. She was slain by Bellerophon.

2) An unrealizable dream or fancy, or a grotesque product of the imagination.

3) an organ made up of diverse genetic materials
Christopher H

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a few more definitions here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera

E.g. some Valiant Armoury hilt furniture + CF grip and work + Atrim blade = a chimera with poetic licence. I thought it was quite clever actually.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Tue 16 Mar, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher H wrote:
There are a few more definitions here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera

E.g. some Valiant Armoury hilt furniture + CF grip and work + Atrim blade = a chimera with poetic licence. I thought it was quite clever actually.

True enough, there are many definition variations, but one of the main impressions is of a group of things that don't fit together very well - unlike the different Valiant, ATrim and CF elements which I'm sure will be harmonious. Happy
Christopher H

PostPosted: Tue 16 Mar, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heh, yeah I guess it depends on your field of interest... I am in the health science field so chimera means something different to me Happy
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Tue 16 Mar, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never thought of the Chimera as a combination of animal parts that don't fit well together. In fact, I always thought of it as a rather terrifying creature.

the tail is replaced by a snake... While dangerous and a little odd, would fit right in to as a "tail"

The head of a lion... Ferocity, danger, teeth, courage, pride, and strength.

a 2nd head of a goat... A head that is thick, and fit for ramming and goring would be scary in addition to the previous. And according to memory, it breathed fire.

Strength, ferocious teeth, heavy and thick horns ready to crush you, and a venomous bite. This didn't seem to be something that wouldn't fit well together, but something that would be terrifying to witness. I was also under the impression that the only way the chimera was slain was by the great hero Bellerophon with the help of the gods and the magical steed Pegasus.

Given my above reasoning, Chimera is a fitting name for a sword line. Comprised of parts of unique origin, combined into an near invincible whole. Fearsome and terrifying to behold, it slays and conquers all in its path.

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first three swords in the Chimera Line are now available on my site:

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Chimera.html

Christian Fletcher
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The new line looks great. The weights seem a bit heavier than similar swords of other Atrim lines and I noticed on the ad "Blades CNC milled from 5160 steel and aerospace heat treated, hand finished by Angus Trim." The Maker's Mark line states "Designed and produced by Angus Trim and in the US." Are the Chimera line blades made completely by Gus or does he do the finishing?
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've changed the text on the Maker's Mark and Chimera to hopefully be a bit more clear. The blades for both lines are produced solely by Angus.
Christian Fletcher
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How is Gus doing these days? I don't recall having seen him post here in some time.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 09 Apr, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When you go to CF's website, there is no link to the Chimera line. You can still use the address given on this thread to bring it up - http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Chimera.html - I wonder why this is so?

I really like the Venetian Bastard Sword ("You Venetian bastard!", as someone from Constantinople might say)

I am also in love with 2 other swords on the site - the Malatesta and the new Borderwatch, but will I get one of them? Sad

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Chimera Line
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: