myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Chimera Line Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Dan MacDonald

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 09 Apr, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
When you go to CF's website, there is no link to the Chimera line. You can still use the address given on this thread to bring it up - http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Chimera.html - I wonder why this is so?

I really like the Venetian Bastard Sword ("You Venetian bastard!", as someone from Constantinople might say)

I am also in love with 2 other swords on the site - the Malatesta and the new Borderwatch, but will I get one of them? Sad

He must of fixed that , the Chimera line is there now Happy

Attachment: 206.38 KB
[ Download ]
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the Danish Raider. I love transitional viking-medieval swords!

The timing is kind of odd for me personally because I recently purchased and returned a Valiant Hedemark. Esthetically I loved it (other than the allen-key nut) but with basically zero distal taper or profile taper to its thick blade, I found it to be literally uncomfortable to handle. Yet I was torn because I really liked the styling of the handle (and the scabbard). When I imagined the perfect version of that sword, it was very much like this Danish Raider. Feels like those recent microsoft commercials where people say - the new windows was my idea! Unfortunately I already purchased another sword to replace the Hedemark and am committed to a couple more, but this is definitely on the priority list for next year.
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi !

Will there be a chance that Angus Scimitars will be along that collection ?

That would be most awesome !

Regards

Klaus

Memento Mori
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has gus ever even made a Scimitar? He has made some sabers, I know... not a lot of them... I've never seen a scimitar.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe he is talking about the falchions that Gus made a year or two ago? Thos were nice, especially the Archangel. I wish I could have afforded it when it was available.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Maybe he is talking about the falchions that Gus made a year or two ago? Thos were nice, especially the Archangel. I wish I could have afforded it when it was available.

You and me both, I LOVE the Archangel Falchion! If it is ever avalible again, I'm buying it, I regret not grabbing it when I had the chance. Valiant Armoury is making a Flachion bassed of one of Gus's blades, but it won't be the Archangel. Sad
A. Kotlyarevsky

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean O Stevens wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

You and me both, I LOVE the Archangel Falchion! If it is ever avalible again, I'm buying it, I regret not grabbing it when I had the chance. Valiant Armoury is making a Flachion bassed of one of Gus's blades, but it won't be the Archangel. Sad

Really? VA is making a Falchion? I haven't heard anything about that, care to share your source?
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Kotlyarevsky wrote:

Really? VA is making a Falchion? I haven't heard anything about that, care to share your source?

Sonny himself of Valaint Armoury and I have talked about the VA Performance Eddition Falchion. Should be out soon... this summer most likely. Its based of the Atrim Courtrai Falchion. While I prefer the ArchAngel Flachion, the Courtrai is still pretty cool and I will almost certainly pick up the Valiant Armoury Performance falchion when it comes out.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another sword has been added to the Chimera Line - The English Knightly Sword, an XVIIIb with a scent-stopper pommel. It looks good - http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...Sword.html
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This line looks great! I almost bought the Venetian Bastard on the spur of the moment but was able to pull back. Together with Valiant's Scabbard it is a sweet package. I am not familiar with the quality of Trim and Fletcher and I am a bit taken back by the stainless but for the price I am considering it. Albion's king Maker and Burgundian are also up there in contention for my next purchase.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brandt Giese wrote:
I am not familiar with the quality of Trim and Fletcher and I am a bit taken back by the stainless but for the price I am considering it.

If you want some information on the quality of the ATrim/CF combination, check out the Review section. -- http://www.myArmoury.com/reviews.html
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a review of the Venetian Bastard sword up in the SBG forum - http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...read=16597 -

It is a very positive review.

Pedantic side note - CF calls this sword an XVIIIc, but if you go by the recent XVIIIc thread - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19661 - this sword doesn't fit the description - the blade isn't wide enough, and it is more of a thruster than an XVIIIc would be. It's more like an XVIIIa in my opinion.
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
There is a review of the Venetian Bastard sword up in the SBG forum - http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...read=16597 -

It is a very positive review.

Pedantic side note - CF calls this sword an XVIIIc, but if you go by the recent XVIIIc thread - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19661 - this sword doesn't fit the description - the blade isn't wide enough, and it is more of a thruster than an XVIIIc would be. It's more like an XVIIIa in my opinion.

Hi! Laughing Out Loud I'm the author of the aforementioned enthusiastic review. Wink

I think I'm one of the few people with a Venetian Bastard sword at the moment (if not the only Question) and I just wanted to chime in about the blade width: it is surprisingly wide in-person. Not quite so much as the Leeds swords, but I wouldn't call it slender by any means. None of my own photos really highlight it, but here's the same model AT-1432 blade that the Venetian has in standard hilt fittings next to an AT1518 for comparison (photo rights to forum member Keen Mark):

It's quite substantial. I definitely agree that XVIIIa is a more appropriate classification for this sword, but I have to add that though it is an intimidating thruster, when holding the sword the first thing that comes to mind is a desire to CUT. It's what the weapon 'wants' to do, which makes me feel like it has the spirit of an XVIIIc. Then again, it's now listed as an XVIIIb on the website, so there's several options for hair-splitting. Laughing Out Loud

I really do love this sword. Mine's currently getting a custom scabbard from Valiant Armoury and I can't wait to have it back in my hands. The quality of the Chimera line is quite nice for the sub-$600 pricing.
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a photo update of the sword from my review, if anyone is interested.

I've now received a custom scabbard, belt and suspension from Valiant Armoury to match the Venetian Bastard Sword, and I'm very pleased with the results.

The belt is somewhat simple, but functional and comfortable to wear. The overall effect of each element is a reasonable interpretation of a 15th century Italian sword, though not completely accurate.

I still find the most impressive aspect of the Venetian Bastard to be its handling. The way this sword moves is sublime.
It behaves very similarly to my Fletcher Borderwatch sword built on an Albion Crecy blade, and depending on my mood, I often prefer the Venetian in-hand. The two swords share the same static balance point, the same blade width, and are very close in length (with the Albion being slightly longer) and each has superb distribution of mass to create a pleasing dynamic balance.

The difference they do have in handling is subtle, but distinct. The best (inadequate) description I can offer is that the Albion blade "floats and glides" whereas the Angus Trim "whips and bites." The Borderwatch is slightly more substantial in hand and gives the impression of a regal tool of war, while the Venetian feels like a more streamlined and vicious civilian weapon by comparison. All of which is a rather roundabout way to say that the Albion Crecy blade is known for its pleasant handling characteristics, and this sword offers a similar level of satisfaction for this collector (albeit of a slightly different flavor).
I am very thankful to have both in my collection, and I think these blood-red swords complement each other well.
(Continued below...)

Last edited by Zach Luna on Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(...continued)

All told, I absolutely adore this sword. There is room for improvement in each element (the stainless fittings could be mild steel, the scabbard could fit tighter, the suspension and belt could be neater, the chape could be better defined) but as a whole this has to be the most satisfying sword package I have come across for the price.

If this piece is any indication, The Chimera line is a fantastic option for a sword enthusiast looking for a great performing blade in a beautiful package that doesn't cost a fortune. There are other options for more demanding historical accuracy, other sources for leather and scabbard work, other sword lines with a greater diversity of designs, but when you put it all together, no matter how you slice it this is a great sword. Once you hold it in your hands, it's hard to disagree.

Thanks for reading. Happy
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the prototype for the Austrian great sword and it is simply amazing from a performance view point, though the prototype is quite a bit less attractive it sure is a beauty to swing. I don't know about the other swords in the line but as for this one, don't let the weight scare you off. the first time I handed it to my wife she got an unhappy look on her face and she commented that it was heavy. I then told her to swing it and as soon as she did her face lit up and she couldn't help but say "wow" all that weight seems to dissapear as soon as it moves. or more accurately, it is still there but it moves with you so it is effortless. I can use this sword one handed. I wouldn't in a fight but I can cut tatami and water bottles one handed with no trouble. best performing two handed sword I have ever touched by a significant margin.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sure is one beauty you got there Zach. You are starting one heck of a collection my friend.
Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the stainless furniture idea. The furniture tends to be what gets casually handled the most, and causes me the most problems with tarnishing or rust. This option seems like it would eliminate that issue.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Chimera Line
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: