Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Photos from my visit to the Wallace Collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Photos from my visit to the Wallace Collection         Reply with quote

I took about 250 photos at the Wallace Collection in London. I've been putting the best ones up. See the entire set here.

Some highlights:

I am STILL UPDATING the photoset so be patient! Even more images will soon come!

Pastime With Good Company
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent photos!

I missed my chance to go back in 2005 (my sister convinced my parents that it would be "boring") so these photos really help me see what I missed. I love black and white armours, and you got some amazing photos of them! And that gothic composite armour on horseback is stunning!

I REALLY envy you! I hope to go back within 2 or 3 years, so maybe I'll see some of these pieces in person.

Nathan.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GASP! They didn't let me take photos when I visited! Is it a new policy that you can? Great job and THANK YOU!
David Lohnes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What an insane contribution!
The captions on the flickr stream are an especially nice touch.
Well done!
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos from my visit to the Wallace Collection         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
I took about 250 photos at the Wallace Collection in London.

mm. lovely and sharp.

mind if I ask what camera setup you were using for that sharpness without grain?

the set I've got have gone off on the white balance, and there's far too many slightly fuzzy shots.
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was using Sony Cybershot W330 with 400-800 ISO depending on the lighting. Hardly a professional setup. They would have turned out better if they'd let me use my tripod. I tried my best to talk them into it but they wouldn't budge.
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was using Sony Cybershot W330 with 400-800 ISO depending on the lighting. Hardly a professional setup. They would have turned out better if they'd let me use my tripod. I tried my best to talk them into it but they wouldn't budge.

remarkably clean shots for a ickle camera - I realised it was'nt an obscenely big DSLR in a few reflections, which surprised me.

I'm thinking for next time I'm along I'm going to cheat, and use a cord attached to a foot-loop and the tripod screw, to get more stability...

that and remember a polarising filter to minimise reflection. :/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm commenting before I go have a look at all the other pics but just based on the sample highlight pics the quality of the photography is very very good.

Although you don't seem to need any advice here is a suggestion to compensate for the lack of a tripod: Hold your elbow(s) braced on your lower chest or stomach, basically the back of your entire upper arm rests on your body and functions like a tripod. If you hold your breath just before clicking the shutter you can avoid any movement that would blur the image.

( Note/question: Do digital cameras have variable shutter speeds like 35 mm film cameras ? The above is mostly useful if one is shooting in low light with a slow shutter speed to avoid blurring ).

Sort of a weaver stance when shooting a handgun but with the upper arm in contact with your upper body.

Actually I think I'll try this variant hold next time I go to the target range.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do shoot firearms and I think the steady hand from that hobby carried over into photography, because I did use some tricks for resting the camera - I often braced myself against the edges of the display cabinets, in corners, on a knee, held my elbows tight against my torso, and the breathing control, etc. I had to be super careful because low light + shaky camera = horrible, blurry photo. I am not aware of a way to adjust the shutter speed on the camera that I have. It was just given to me a few days ago so I'm just getting used to it. This is the first time I've done any photography since high school (about 6 years ago) when I used an SLR with regular old film.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do shoot firearms and I think the steady hand from that hobby carried over into photography, because I did use some tricks for resting the camera - I often braced myself against the edges of the display cabinets, in corners, on a knee, held my elbows tight against my torso, and the breathing control, etc. I had to be super careful because low light + shaky camera = horrible, blurry photo. I am not aware of a way to adjust the shutter speed on the camera that I have. It was just given to me a few days ago so I'm just getting used to it. This is the first time I've done any photography since high school (about 6 years ago) when I used an SLR with regular old film.

Big Grin

All my photography experience is stone age 35 mm cameras, so that explains the question about shutter speeds. Wink

Maybe the expensive SLR digital cameras are adjustable for shutter speed, the cheap ones may have one uniform speed and use varying ISO sensibility to simulate the different sensitivities of different film stock as well as aperture opening ?

The cheap ones do it all for you " badly " or do it well under average lighting situations ...... not so good in very dark or very bright light I think. Flash photography usually means no control over reflections and shiny objects or on objects behind glass.

Yes I agree shooting of both kinds share some skill sets. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
GASP! They didn't let me take photos when I visited! Is it a new policy that you can? Great job and THANK YOU!

As has ben spoken about a number of times (including in the last week) and as published in my article on the Wallace Collection, now you can take photos. Happy That's a change for the better that happened in the last few years.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Photos from my visit to the Wallace Collection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic