myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > exact replica Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Legal isn't the same thing as ethical. It might be legal to rip off the R&D of a modern manufacturer, but it's not ethical. It might be ethical to reproduce a famous sword from some museum, but in the museum's country it might not be legal. At the very least, we should all strive to be ethical.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
David Lohnes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
It might be legal to rip off the R&D of a modern manufacturer, but it's not ethical.

But isn't that what producers like Hanwei are doing?

Their blades are maturing over time thanks to the salutary influence on the market that quality firms are having. As A&A and Albion and other artisan smiths and firms lead the way in producing real, quality swords, firms with access to massive pools of cheap labor can come behind, modify their work accordingly and then cut 70% off of the price.

I think copyright protections are important for artisans, but personally, I think fair trade issues are more important. If Ben Potter or Tod Todeschini (just for example) or some other skilled smith wanted to precisely copy Peter Johnsson and Albion's product, Albion and Peter might suffer some loss of market share. But the real threat comes from cheaper versions mass-produced at dramatically reduced prices that, while not precise copies, incorporate enough of the characteristics of the quality pieces to be attractive to buyers.
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After reading only a part of the legislation, I doubt that it will be possible here to have an end result.
The Italian legislation has been in large part, reversed.
A European law requires all states to comply with the laws of a committee specially set up.
Laws repealed are many, of course, since, Italy is the cradle of the law, we had more laws are more than a man can read his whole life Laughing Out Loud
I also doubt that museum directors can have a thorough knowledge of current legislation.
Worthy of note seems to be that this legislation does not deal in goods subject to copyright, but to the cultural heritage older than 70 years after the death of the author.
There seems to be a great availability to the individual and scientific studies. Some restrictions, if the reproductions are a commercial nature.
Worthy of note: a work of art contains in itself the rights that go beyond the author himself.
The emphasis is more on the historical and cultural value that encloses the artwork, above the interests of those who built the artwork.
Also of note: the restoration requires very specialized and technical staff, it must be protected, it becomes a whole that is in the artwork itself.
To have an idea, even if written in Italian, there are six long pages of laws and restrictions ... The first starts from the link that indicates the end, but there are 6 in the bottom of the page.
See why I'm wrong profession? Eek! Being a lawyer makes more and more? Wink Only joking, no offense to the category.
http://www.dirittodellearti.it/normativa.html

Ciao
Maurizio

Last edited by Maurizio D'Angelo on Mon 08 Mar, 2010 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lohnes wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:
It might be legal to rip off the R&D of a modern manufacturer, but it's not ethical.

But isn't that what producers like Hanwei are doing?

Their blades are maturing over time thanks to the salutary influence on the market that quality firms are having. As A&A and Albion and other artisan smiths and firms lead the way in producing real, quality swords, firms with access to massive pools of cheap labor can come behind, modify their work accordingly and then cut 70% off of the price.

On the other hand they are still behind Albion in matters of quality and research (that is, understanding of what makes a sword good), and a significant portion of the market is aware of that. That is the true advantage provided by original research, it unlocks not just one design but a whole design process.

As far as functionality is concerned, it's not copyright that should be considered but patents. What we're looking for is a patent process for swords and that can't exist because you can't patent something that you copied from someone else, no matter how distant in the past and how hard it was for you to analyze the object.

The whole confusion comes from the fact that nowadays, the top researchers are also producers or designers of "new" swords. So instead of having academics that do their job, study the objects in depth and publish their research, and companies that use this research and their technical (perhaps patentable) processes to produce things that people want, we get historical research that is often published through the products of a particular company. This fusion of roles is whence the whole problem comes from in my opinion.

Regards,

[Edit: wrong word...]

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know how those firms operate, but I'd say it is unethical to start with the end product, reverse the research process, and make an exact copy for mass production. I'd be uneasy doing that even to make a on-off for myself (even if I had the skill). I don't see anybody doing that. More often, I see firms making things that only superficially resemble higher quality pieces.

Now, if an emerging firm looks at what the best manufacturers are doing--where they get their ideas and research, what technology they use, how they organize their business and build their brand, etc.--and simply use that as information and inspiration, I think many would argue that it's the way a free market should work, creating competition, raising the quality bar for everyone, promoting diffusion of technology/ideas and probably bringing down costs across the board (although getting the details right is always going to command a premium).

All of us, to one degree or another, have gained from what the top craftsmen have done in recent years. I think they've been incredibly generous with their information in this forum alone. That's reason enough to leave their designs alone, but there are so many other good legal, ethical, historical, martial and aesthetic reasons to do something original. Having said that, if there's published/public research on a given historical sword, then I think it's an open field as long as everybody working on that design is working from the published information rather than the interpretations of other modern craftsmen. For example: As strongly as the Svante is identified with Albion, there is at least one other interpretation of that sword. I don't know the inspiration for the other sword (Del Tin) but Peter Johnsson and Albion have published the antique's vital statistics. I think it's ethical and legal to interpret the original sword using that information. The result is almost certain to be dramatically inferior to Albion's interpretation because the latter is informed by hands-on experience, but the price would probably reflect that and satisfy some niche in the market.

I would guess that we're going to see more historical design in the middle of the sword market--$200-500 (Windlass/Hanwei)--with fine finishing details, professional assembly and complex blade geometry still commanding the ground $500+. I would expect buyers at that level of investment to be much more concerned those things, and I'm not sure mass production can please them.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If a producer buys a sword Albion, copy everything right will have a sword by the same characteristics. This is unethical, immoral, and violates the rules of free competition. Behind the construction of a sword Peter has spent hours and hours of work, but show the copy is difficult enough just to change something. is against all ethics. But this happens only for swords? No, whatever happens has a commercial value.
The market has kind eyes, but has no heart. Eek!
At least, here, let us consider these things.

Ciao
Maurizio
David Lohnes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am a huge fine of high quality modern swordsmiths, Peter and Albion in particular.
I value what they do, respect their work and rights, and am grateful for the fact that their commitment to excellence and personal and corporate openness and generosity have helped me.

Having said that, I see little moral or ethical dilemma in a smith reverse engineering Peter's work and recreating it on his own. In doing so, he's doing the same kind of hands-on reverse engineering that Peter has been doing on original swords. Peter's not a pretend swordsmith. He's a real one, and his swords are every bit as real as museum pieces--because he's spent years reverse engineering original swords. Studying his swords for guidance is like studying the originals, from both a practical and a moral point of view.

I doubt Peter would have an issue with someone buying a sword from him, studying it, and then making one of his own. Such a smith is going about the process in the right way; he paid Peter for his work and then put his own time and effort into educating himself in the craft. Obviously such an approach has limits. A smith could buy one of every Museum Line and Next Gen sword, study it, and copy it and still not have Peter's depth of knowledge and experience. But he'd be moving in the right direction.

But really, real artisans don't operate that way. They don't slavishly imitate. They look for inspiration. A smith who is so committed to growth in his craft that he'd invest the time to study each of Peter's swords in detail and then recreate it would not be satisfied to simply recreate Peter. He'd want to do his own thing.

Artisans are not the problem.

The problem are companies with deep pockets, overseas labor, big machinery, and little personal ivestment in the craft as a whole. Do the big firms really care whether or not their product is historically accurate because they care about history? Or are they simply trying to roll up the market?

The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big companies won't roll up the market unless we allow them to do so by buying their products. You can't state that it would be OK for an individual to do it and bar them from doing it on the grounds that they are big companies. But of course we are free to buy only from companies that employ people whose experience we trust, whose understanding we respect.

I've heard the same kind of argument thrown against Albion, that they are the big guys rolling up the market because they have marketing power and big machinery and so on. There are people that regret that individual smiths don't get some of the demand they could because people buy Albions and are content with them. I'm not one of them.

I too am immensely grateful to Peter and Albion for their openness and their commitment to the making of excellent products, as I am to other craftsmen (Craig Johnson, Angus Trim, Michael Pierce, among others) without whom I wouldn't have the same understanding of the functioning of swords as I have now. If someone else, big company or not, takes inspiration in their products to further their own understanding and therefore produce better swords, I won't blame them. I don't think blatant copy of one particular model would work anyway (too easy to strive for what can be directly measured but get the hidden variables wrong, and once you understand the hidden variables you don't need to risk bad PR by doing a direct copy).

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I don't know how those firms operate, but I'd say it is unethical to start with the end product, reverse the research process, and make an exact copy for mass production. I'd be uneasy doing that even to make a on-off for myself (even if I had the skill). I don't see anybody doing that. More often, I see firms making things that only superficially resemble higher quality pieces.

Reverse engineering happens all the time in non-sword consumer products. Even if you don't copy a design or formula exactly, engineers will take apart a product and learn what they can from their competitors. I don't know if it's ethical, but it's business.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
I don't think blatant copy of one particular model would work anyway (too easy to strive for what can be directly measured but get the hidden variables wrong, and once you understand the hidden variables you don't need to risk bad PR by doing a direct copy).

I completely agree.
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Reverse engineering happens all the time in non-sword consumer products. Even if you don't copy a design or formula exactly, engineers will take apart a product and learn what they can from their competitors. I don't know if it's ethical, but it's business.

it seems that behind that helmet, the view of things is excellent. Happy

Ciao
Maurizio
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

Now, if an emerging firm looks at what the best manufacturers are doing--where they get their ideas and research, what technology they use, how they organize their business and build their brand, etc.--and simply use that as information and inspiration, I think many would argue that it's the way a free market should work, creating competition, raising the quality bar for everyone, promoting diffusion of technology/ideas and probably bringing down costs across the board (although getting the details right is always going to command a premium).

All of us, to one degree or another, have gained from what the top craftsmen have done in recent years. I think they've been incredibly generous with their information in this forum alone. That's reason enough to leave their designs alone, but there are so many other good legal, ethical, historical, martial and aesthetic reasons to do something original. Having said that, if there's published/public research on a given historical sword, then I think it's an open field as long as everybody working on that design is working from the published information rather than the interpretations of other modern craftsmen. For example: As strongly as the Svante is identified with Albion, there is at least one other interpretation of that sword. I don't know the inspiration for the other sword (Del Tin) but Peter Johnsson and Albion have published the antique's vital statistics. I think it's ethical and legal to interpret the original sword using that information. The result is almost certain to be dramatically inferior to Albion's interpretation because the latter is informed by hands-on experience, but the price would probably reflect that and satisfy some niche in the market.

I would guess that we're going to see more historical design in the middle of the sword market--$200-500 (Windlass/Hanwei)--with fine finishing details, professional assembly and complex blade geometry still commanding the ground $500+. I would expect buyers at that level of investment to be much more concerned those things, and I'm not sure mass production can please them.

Unethical, possibly, but the same process is what led, for example, to all of us having personal computers at cheap prices (copying of IBM's BIOS system by AMI and copying of the Intel 386 chip by AMD). Happens all the time in business. Yep it's unethical, but it does allow progress since it forces original makers to perfect and improve their products in the long run. I don't condone copying something like swords, but as long as you don't have a law to prevent knock-offs it will happen.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are actually two different (but similar) things here: Copyright and Patent.

In the case of media, Copyright will usually be the relevant consideration, but in the case of engineering, it will be patent. Where we see patents is in cases of reverse engineering--if you reverse engineer a patented process and then reproduce it, you have violated a patent. In the case of objects, such as swords, you will probably fall under patent law. OTOH, reproductions (i.e. media) of art works, photographs, etc., usually involves copyright law.

In the US (and maybe other places), no one owns a copyright on old works, but they can own copyrights on photographs of old works (i.e. digital images), those works are in public domain. Thus, I can publish a transcription of Marozzo as I please. However, if I grab the images of Marozzo that a library has put online, things are a little more hazy, since we get into questions of digital media rights an such.

Note, I am not a lawyer, my writings mean nothing. Plus, Italy is on a different planet than the US, so who knows what goes on there Wink

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is no legal concept of unique works of art, because art is by definition undefinable.
There is measured with "Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies" in which the very notion of art work and, consequently, its legal character, are of soft edges, as we had occasion to note in 1928, during the famous case brought by Romanian sculptor against the United States of America. The case ended triumphantly for the sculptor.

For Italy the political-economic world is realizing that "the historical and artistic heritage is the largest domestic oil field in the country", that is a powerful instrument of prosperity, and is preparing to manage the change of perspective in relation to a past in which heritage and cultural activities were considered non-productive of material wealth.
Museums, art galleries, libraries, even the superintendents and historic centers, must be transformed into genuine public-private companies and artists themselves are driven to by managers themselves, in an atmosphere in a market of almost.
Regardless of prognosis on future performance of such a change, it is certain that it is leading a parallel effort, imposing regulatory tool to support the material and cultural activities with an adequate economic policy and govern while more rigorous and far-sightedness, the exercise of rights and the fulfillment of obligations by the parties concerned.

In the U.S.A, advocacy not only boasts a distinguished history of philanthropy but there is a special type of law firms specializing in property law and cultural activities. Special type of law firms specializing in property law, perhaps the laws are not as simple as you think.
Not by chance, were lawyers / art critics, creators and benefactors of the great American museums in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, see: Metropolitan Museum of Art (John Jay) (Joseph H. Croatian) were lawyers. I do not think other countries' laws are easier. Of course, Italian are always first class, in terms of laws, (it's ironic) but ..all right as long as only one picture or 10 swords, if you move powerful economic interests, then jump out the laws that we think do not exist.
for one, like me, knows little English, I write too much. Razz

Ciao
Maurizio
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Reich wrote:
In the case of objects, such as swords, you will probably fall under patent law.

There's nothing patentable about a sword or it's design. In order to patent something it must be genuinly novel/innovative and it must be non-obvious to someone skilled in the art. I think I can point to about a thousand years worth of prior art on any sword patent you want to apply for. Unless you come up with something like a working lightsaber of course Wink

That said, the production process of a sword could be patented. But that doesn't stop anyone from copying the sword itself. It just prevents people from producing swords in the same manner.
C Bosh

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it is fair to say that ethical or not, copying does, will, and will continue to happen, by large manufacturing companies with cheap labour. They will continue to use other people's designs, which are themselves modelled on historical pieces, as a shortcut in their manufacturing process ,therefore keeping costs down in research.
There is little or nothing in the original artist can do as these companies are often in countries with limited legal procedures on copyright. there maybe laws there but trying to get them enforced when you are a small individual from outside the country is difficult.
These mass-produced pieces to offer sword users/collectors a cheap alternative to the more traditionally made sword, which has been carefully researched and designed, but is very expensive.
To be honest there is very few of us out there who have not bought swords in this class at some point over the years. Whether we know it or not, the design was probably borrowed from some other source.
I think the only thing we can do is try to offer support to the more traditional craftsmen still hand producing and carefully researching his work. This may mean forgoing four or five cheap swords, and purchasing one skilfully handcrafted item occasionally.
Whatever the law says, in whatever country you are, large companies have an eye on profit, and will take whatever shortcut necessary to secure cheap and easy designs. FACT !
It is down to us as individuals, to keep the small craftsmen alive by private commissions, saving up so we can afford them.
Sorry if this has gone slightly off topic, but we cannot bemoan the loss of craftsmen if we do not support them.
Werner Stiegler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
concerning your email I'll inform you that you can take the images in a resolution of max 70 dpi on the Italian forum with a link to our homepage.
Please let us know the web-adress.

Kunsthistorisches Museum mit MVK und ÖTM
Wissenschaftliche Anstalt öffentlichen Rechts
Wien, Burgring
Austrian Museums are wierd about photographs. I as an Austrian myself would honestly not think too much about it and write it off as a national quirk. I do not believe that you're going to run into these problems with museums of any other nation.
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be honest, the photos are out of the ordinary. Seems to have the sword on the table. The size, known to all, coincide with the tenth of a millimeter with a graphics program. We also see the cross on fuller, the scrape of cleaning, incredible.
Maybe they used special equipment and a professional photographer.
This in all honesty.

Ciao
Maurizio
Sander Marechal

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
concerning your email I'll inform you that you can take the images in a resolution of max 70 dpi on the Italian forum with a link to our homepage.

Hmm... lets see... Say the sword in question is 45" overall length. At 70 PDI that means you get a picture that's 3150 pixels wide. More then enough to post of a forum i'd say? Big Grin
Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Quote:

Hmm... lets see... Say the sword in question is 45" overall length. At 70 PDI that means you get a picture that's 3150 pixels wide. More then enough to post of a forum i'd say? Big Grin

if I understood correctly. You want to see the sword at 70 dpi. (I understand that the better the pixel then dpi.)
If so, no problem. Now I'm in the office as soon as I get home the public here.
of course, it does not use the space available here. Nathan, would not be happy... Cool Happy

P.S. I have not changed the text, only words mistranslated.

Ciao
Maurizio

Last edited by Maurizio D'Angelo on Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:44 am; edited 3 times in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > exact replica
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: