Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Finished a few shield projects Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Finished a few shield projects         Reply with quote

I wanted to post some pictures of recent shield projects that I have been finishing up. The first if a La Tene shield that has been in the works for an insane amount of time. The original shield blade was out of two ply construction that I put together, however after trying to attach rawhide faces it didn't make it. *G* Not only did the rawhide warp it horribly, it broke joints and cracked boards. The second more recent attempt was with a simple plank construction. Once again the rawhide face warped the shield, so it was removed and a leather face and rawhide rim was added. I haven't given up on the rawhide face, although the next time it is going on an early anglo saxon shield where I want it to make it convex. All that is remaining on the la tene is to add a strap boss and handle support which I'll make in the next couple days.

Next is the start of an iberian long shield. This still have a good bit of work remaining, but it is on hold until I figure out how I'm going to do the center grip and boss/umbo. Might add a metal bands on the top and bottom for rims as well. A falcata to go along with this on is most of the way designed and I hope to have it finished sometime before the end of the year. *G*

Then are the targes that my wife and I have been working on the last couple weeks. The small one is a re-vamped on that I did a couple years ago, it recieved a new boss and the brass sheet. My wife did most of the work on the other two, I cut out the board and made the boss and metal fittings. We have been working on these to sell at a local Scottish games coming up in July.

Shane

Attachment: 65.18 KB
finishedLatene.jpg

Attachment: 82.91 KB
iberianshield.jpg

Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The targes

Attachment: 76.79 KB
targes1.jpg

Attachment: 79.04 KB
targes2.jpg

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice job Shane . I'm not normally overtly attracted to things Scottish but I especially like the Targe's.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Allan

I thought that Julie did a pretty nice job on the targes, only wish I would have been able to get something like deer hide or something like that with the fur on to put on the back. Short notice though, and it isn't like we have any place local to get hides. *G*

Shane
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice looking shields Shane, if you have a hard time finding fur hides check out ebay, pretty good prices most of the time + many choices besides deer....http://search.ebay.com/fur-hide_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben I was just going to suggest that . Shane another good place for hair on hides is any local trapping meets ( kinda like
gun shows for trappers ,guys selling traps, hides ,tanning stuff ect, ) . Harlan use to find hides for ridiculously cheap
at these when he went .
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I could probably never bring myself to buy hides or leather from ebay, it is just one of those things for me. So far though I have avoided having to buy any leather online or from mail order. A person can easily get spoiled when it isn't a problem finding thing like that locally, that is nine hours away now though. If it hadn't have been a rush on these though it wouldn't have been a problem getting it. Would have liked to have done a spike on one, but that was cut out for time as well.

thanks again
Shane
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Cool targes.........         Reply with quote

Nice lookin' targes you got there. I 've beenthinking of making one myself. Tell me....what do you use for the tacks? Are they run-of-the-mill Wal-Mart furniture upholstery tacks or what? MCM
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep, regular run of the mill furniture tacks. The large shield has plain brass, the small a combination of silver and brass, and the other is "bronze" which has a blued antiqued look. The "bronze" tacks might have been from Lowe's, I know we made trips and wiped both out a few times buying tacks. *G*

Shane
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jun, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: nice work !         Reply with quote

HI Shane,

I like the overall brightness and colour scheme of the La Tene shields....I think they both came out with a bit of an Iberian twist, too *g*

So did you rim the long shield in a wide band of rawhide, am I seeing that right?

I may have missed, but did you go with ply or planks or homemade ply on the targes. Seeing yours and Alex's previously, makes me think I need to make me up a good one sometime soon.

Also folks, this site has been reccommended as a good source for brass tacks, etc. http://www.matoska.com/
the pics here are mylatest that i put finishing touches on...la tene based very closely on the la tene find and an iron age British one.

Attachment: 88.96 KB
Img_0966.jpg

Attachment: 92.58 KB
Img_0967.jpg

Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't believe that I forgot to reply back to this....*sigh*

Thanks Nate, I do love how your horned shield is turning out. Yes that is one wide rawhide rim on the la tene, I haven't made up my mind to do metal bands on the top and bottom as well or not. Heck I just realized that I never took a finished pic with the strap boss....maybe tomorrow.

The small targe is marine grade ply and the other two are birch ply. I did sell the little one at the games today, but the other two hadn't when we left.

Shane
R. E. Oxley

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate,

I love the white La Tene shield! The boss is well done. Do you have a pic of the reverse side? I would like to see how you did the center grip. Big Grin

Regards,

Rob

I didn't know she was an Otter Princess when I married her! Although, her small, laughing eyes and love of shellfish should have betrayed her true nature to me.
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. E. Oxley wrote:
Nate,

I love the white La Tene shield! The boss is well done. Do you have a pic of the reverse side? I would like to see how you did the center grip. Big Grin

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that! I recently got a great book, Gournay II: boucliers et lances. It goes into great detail on the celtic shields and their construction...

The main grip is always wood, sort of cut and "keyed" to fit down into the shield board. see the first pic.

When there is a metal grip reinforce, there is some variation. Sometimes the nail went through the metal strap boss, through the grip and reinforce and was peened in back. Sometimes the opposite--the nail went through the reinforce, grip, and boss, and was peened in front, sometimes there are separate nails for each.

Sometimes there is not grip reinforce at all, and glue was used, and occasionally tenons (as in the Clonoura shield)

Obviously, I went with the last way. It was before I had the book, or I would have varied a bit more between shields.

The grip curves outward ever so slightly, as seen in the surviving La Tene examples, and this does help one grip the shield.

Here are some pics, in all their glory, with dried drops of hide glue and all still showing Worried

Does that help?

Attachment: 60.28 KB
Img_1088.jpg
iron forged reinforce and forged iron nails, over keyed and slotted wood, wrapped in oak-tanned leather

Attachment: 63.85 KB
Img_1089.jpg
"keyed" and slotted into the shield board

Attachment: 45.45 KB
Img_1090.jpg
the grip curves outward slightly
R. E. Oxley

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent, Nathan! Big Grin

Thanks for the pics. I had a notion to do up my own Celtic shield and was searching for resource material. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the Gournay II book and is it in French or is it an English translation? Also, what gauge steel was used for the boss on the white La Tene? Again, very nice work! Cool

Cheers,

Rob

I didn't know she was an Otter Princess when I married her! Although, her small, laughing eyes and love of shellfish should have betrayed her true nature to me.
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. E. Oxley wrote:
Excellent, Nathan! Big Grin

Thanks for the pics. I had a notion to do up my own Celtic shield and was searching for resource material. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the Gournay II book and is it in French or is it an English translation? Also, what gauge steel was used for the boss on the white La Tene? Again, very nice work! Cool

Cheers,

Rob

Gournay II is in French, and you can find it at www.oxbowbooks.com. Oxbow has hundreds of wonderful books, many more than I can afford, much more tempting, more to buy than even all the sword choices out there.

The sheet iron for the boss is surprisingly thin. I am not locating the source article I had for this, wasn't in the Llyn Cerig Bach or articles by Stead, like I mis-remembered. Anyway, the boss should be 16ga or less, as I am remembering. I honestly don't remember what it is on the white la Tene, maybe 16ga or 18ga, I don't think I went with less, though it could be...i just don't recall

Frankly I think the metal strap boss is the biggest b*%ch of the thing to make. For one of my shields I had John Heinz of www.herugrim.com make it for me. Craig Sitch of www.manningimperial.com can also make a nice one. Or you can do a la tene I and do without, or an early la tene II and do the early bivalve type which should be easier also.

Shane just made the boss for his posted above, maybe he had an easier time and has some tips for shaping it to the spindle...and a pic of his with boss on *G*
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, here is a pic of my shield with the strap boss on. I beat on that boss for atleast three hours trying to get it to fit close and I still never was really happy with it, but it was close enought that I said the heck with it. Part of my problems I think had to do with the shape and thickness of my umbo, if it was thinner and more domed/round it would have been easier. It has problems, but for now it is good enough for me.

I had been considering doing a round umbo boss on the iberian shield, but some new research for me has conviced me no too. Just haven't been able to get far enough in translating to figure out what I'm going to do. Maybe a shorter umbo like Nate's horned shield.

Shane

Attachment: 70.55 KB
finishedlongshield.jpg

Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
Ok, here is a pic of my shield with the strap boss on. I beat on that boss for atleast three hours trying to get it to fit close and I still never was really happy with it, but it was close enought that I said the heck with it. Part of my problems I think had to do with the shape and thickness of my umbo, if it was thinner and more domed/round it would have been easier.

That's pretty much where I was with a couple of mine. Beat on it for hours until I surrender. And a couple of mine are more domed and round, still quite the bugger to work with!

I'll post a pic with my herugrim made boss after a bit, but the pic is on my other computer.

Edit: too busy (or lazy?) to post a new comparison pic of my shields with metal strap bosses, so I added an old one. The big one on the far left has the Herugrim Ironworks boss on it, the greeen one has my home-made boss on it. You can see there is no comparison really

Attachment: 84.52 KB
celtic shields 4.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Finished a few shield projects
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic