Little bit special viking knife
Hello!
Today, i want to show you something very special to me. This knife has two "firsts" for me.
Its my first use of home made shear steel made from wrought according to Theophilus Rugerus.
After water quench file barely takes it or not at all, so its good. this is eating knife and i am happy with the blade. I carburized whole blade as its so small that i did not want to forgeweld it (around 7 inches OAL)

More important are fittings. These are made from silver using traditional methot of granulation, when balls are catched to sheet without any solder. I went to visit my very good friend Wojtek Kochman in Poland and i had opportunity to work in his shop for 5 days. He is marvelous craftsman, artist and nicest guy i know. He taught me this, supervised me doing these fitings.

Handle is carved boxwood and knife waits for scabbard

Attachment: 106.76 KB
boxwood.jpg

It certainly looks nice, very good work on the fittings. I have only read on this way of doing them, never tried myself and if it is your first attempt, excellent work!
Excellent work!

What is the grip made out of? Did you carve it yourself?
hello! thanks!
The grip is made of boxwood and is carved by me.
Another great piece Petr! I especially like the fact you followed the techniques of the ancients. Well done again!

Here's a Wiki link to Theophilus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophilus_Presbyter
This is a really nice knife! I love the granulation and the carving of the grip. What about a nice scabbard to go with it?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: