Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tim Newark's Warlords - Ancient, Celtic, Medieval Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Charles the Bold had English archers in all 3 of his battles with the Swiss, English archers had been serving with the Burgundians for a long time by the 1470's but mostly in small numbers. It's only Charles who began large scale use from 1472 onwards. So the English archers are certainly a valid subject as part of a study of the Burgundian army. However, the English were a minority, both in the overall army and among the archers so IMO it is problem when they are given far more space than the majority of the archers.

Reminds me of how Ian Heath's "Armies of the 16th Century" has a chapter about the Spanish "Army of Flanders", in it the "´Brittish" troops get as much space in the text as the combined text about all of the other non-Spanish nations serving in Flanders. (Wallons, Italians, Burgunduians, Albanians and Germans) Yet except for the Albanians all of those nations supplied more numerous and more important troops than the "Brittish".

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Actually the heaviest arbalessts up to 1200 lb draw were spanned with the cranequin, and could spanned fairly quickly.

Acccording to Bradbury (The Medieval Archer) it takes about 35 seconds to bend a bow with a canequin compared to about 12 seconds with a windlasss (p. 149). The advantage of the cranequin is that it is smaller and can be operated with one hand. The cranequin seems to have been better suited for hunting while the windlass would be better in battle because of the faster reloading time.
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't read Bradburys book but you'll forgive me Dan if I don't think that is the last word on the matter.

There are a wide number of parameters at play in spanning a crossbow, there are different types of windlasses and cranequins, there are very widely different types of crossbows ranging in power from 200 lb draw to 1200 lb or more, solid wood, composite or steel prods etc., I suspect it also makes a difference if you know what you are doing or not.

The relevant fact to me is that the vast majority of steel-prod military (as opposed to hunting) crossbows I've seen from the 16th Century or later used the cranqeuin, and also tended to be smaller, or were lighter types which had a foot-stirrup. Most of the windlass crossbows I've seen were 15th Century or earlier and many seemed to be associated with siege defense since the windlass itself is quite ungainly.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Tue 09 Mar, 2010 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Charles the Bold had English archers in all 3 of his battles with the Swiss, English archers had been serving with the Burgundians for a long time by the 1470's but mostly in small numbers. It's only Charles who began large scale use from 1472 onwards. So the English archers are certainly a valid subject as part of a study of the Burgundian army. However, the English were a minority, both in the overall army and among the archers so IMO it is problem when they are given far more space than the majority of the archers.

My only point is that the English longbowmen, when poorly deployed and facing a better organized opponent, didn't fare any better than the Gascon or Genoese crossbowmen did under the same circumstances. The latter case (as at Agincourt, Crecy, Poitiers etc.) are just more famous because the English have done a much better job of extolling their victories than the Swiss did.

For that matter almost nobody seems to remember they actually lost that war.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Tim Newark's Warlords - Ancient, Celtic, Medieval
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: