Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Major Spring Cleaning at Albion - great deals! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Myles Mulkey

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm now the proud owner of number 9254. I'm thinking a Viking or Anglo Saxon style hilt. Sound appropriate?[/img]
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sheez, I couldn't access the site for some reason and now that I can I see all the stuff I would have wanted is sold already. /Whine. Big Grin

As an aside, if the katanas have cracks, wouldn't that be a major concern even if you removed the offending portion? I mean, cracked once, likely to crack again, no?
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say theses are a steal for the price. Besides a lil rust theses are nice blades. Out of the three I ordered 2 are heat treated! I have to wait and see my other three if they are or not.
But yes Albion should start offering blades and possible guards and pommels for the DIY people.
Now I just gotta find a way to make a guard and a few pommels
Happy

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Will O

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: blade blanks         Reply with quote

fortunately I managed to get a few of these, I think I blinked and they were all gone. (and no I am not selling any of them) I am thinking very plain utilitarian hilt's as found on the squire line swords, what could be better than a pile of dinged, dirty, rusty, swords in the corner
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Recived my order today and I am very impressed - looks like I will be proud owner of my own version of Auxilia Spatha soonish Happy and several longswords as well, compared to what most other companies offer as finished swords those "rusty and unfinished" blades are superb!
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would anyone know what sword albion made that used a deltin blade and was one of thier Special editions?
Also where does one go in buying pommels and guards if there is even a place out there.

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got shut out, too. Cry

Attachment: 210.09 KB
download.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
B. Stark
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To my knowledge Albion never used a DT blade for any swords produced from the shop in New Glarus. DT's were merely resold thru Albion starting from the very inception of the company back in Maryland. Perhaps a better referrence is in order such as the product name or description?
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well it does have a Deltin mark and name along with a albion mark. Looks like a long thrusting sword double handed. Im not complaining in the least it is a superb blade.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
To my knowledge Albion never used a DT blade for any swords produced from the shop in New Glarus. DT's were merely resold thru Albion starting from the very inception of the company back in Maryland. Perhaps a better referrence is in order such as the product name or description?

As far as I remember, they did receive blades and hilt components from Del Tin and assembled certain pieces in-shop, often creating details or a level of craftsmanship unique to Albion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Finneman wrote:
well it does have a Deltin mark and name along with a albion mark. Looks like a long thrusting sword double handed. Im not complaining in the least it is a superb blade.

I think I got a similar marking on one fo the blades I purchased too - Albion mark and DELTIN stamped on it in small letters
B. Stark
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is because some Del Tins were actually assembled @ Albion for a short time and as such the old Albion mark was added to the blades to denote the difference between an Albion assembled DT and a DT assembled sword. There were no 'special addition' Albion/DT swords that I ever heard of or have seen at anytime. Perhaps the odd one off but never as a production item. Some of the blades purchased off of the Moat had been there since before I worked there in 2004. That line has obviously been phased out since about '05-'06.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
This is because some Del Tins were actually assembled @ Albion for a short time and as such the old Albion mark was added to the blades to denote the difference between an Albion assembled DT and a DT assembled sword. There were no 'special addition' Albion/DT swords that I ever heard of or have seen at anytime. Perhaps the odd one off but never as a production item. Some of the blades purchased off of the Moat had been there since before I worked there in 2004. That line has obviously been phased out since about '05-'06.

Ah, thanks for explanation Happy That blade is pretty nice though and rust was cleaned off easilly enough.
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got one of the broken blanks arrive today (very quick!) #9353 and am very impressed with the deal. It has some knicks, so don't know if it broke in blade-on-blade experimentation or in something else, but otherwise what's left is in awesome shape. I don't know how many of your blades break in process, but for us DIYers who would like to cut them down as short swords or daggers, letting us have a crack at them instead of tossing them would be highly appreciated!
Starting in a hollowed log of wood—some thousand miles up a river, with an infinitesimal prospect of returning! I ask myself "Why?" and the only echo is "damned fool!...the Devil drives...
C Bosh

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Commitment         Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see the plans you have for your Albion clearance blades, and may help me commit to a design myself. I purchased a blade from my Smith at least 18 months ago, and cannot settle on a design. Everytime I have any idea I think a better one will come along.
My blade is 92 cm / 36 inches long, 5.5 cm/2 inches wide at the shouldes, this tapers to 8.84 mm/.35 of an inch, 2.5 cm / 1 inch from the tip. The blade has a two thirds fuller the last third being a reinforced diamond section. The tang was forged and left at 30 cm/1 foot long, adding to my confusion and given me many choices of grip length.
Looking forward to any designs you can think of, and what you have planned for your Albion blades.
Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like double fullered type XIV. Or maybe XVI? Much possibilities for the fittings. I would go with nice bronze fittings, octagonal pommel and probably type 7 guard, but that is quite typical for the type, nothing extra imaginative.

Edit: I just spotted the 92cm length of the blade, that is definitely not XIV or XVI, sorry. Happy Except if you want XIV or XVI on steroids. Wink
C Bosh

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a single narrow fuller,(one on each side) but quite deep. As I said the blade was made as an experiment, it has a soft steel core, with a harder steel wrap, the seam not being alonge one of the cutting edges, the seam is also practically invisible.
As it was an experiment, I think the Smith and just did what he felt, it is a very beautiful blade, wonderful distal taper, acutely pointed, broad shoulders, unusually long for this type, leaving me what to do with it, I may go for some slightly fanciful design. It is committing myself to it, at the moment it can be many imaginary swords, but once made its just one. My dilemma
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news and bad news for me I guess. My blades came today and I was happy to see that the larger of the two is, in fact, a type X. In fact it is an older slightly shorter type X with a less pointed tip which pleases me greatly! It is unsharpened which doesn't bother me but one side of the blade is extremely rusty. I'll have to see what a wire wheel will do to the rust although I'd already planned to age the blade in any case.

The shorter blade that I thought I'd make a seax from is slightly diamond shaped in section. I suspect that it was destined to be a Gladius until it was ground incorrectly. I'm unaware of any seax blades with a diamond section so I suspect I may need to rethink my plans for this one. On the other hand couldn't someone have rehilted an old gladius to make a seax? Oh well, what would life be without a little uncertainty? I hadn't really planned on going into the gladius business but then if someone had told me a few months ago that I'd be putting together swords, I would have thought they were crazy!
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phiuuu... I´ve ordered a Sovereingn blade from the Moat and hopefully it will get to me in the end of the month. I have commisioned the fittings for the blade from a friend who is a smith. I´ll harass him into take some during workstages photos of the project. We will get toghether in April and draw up the lines for the look of the stuff.... I cant wait...
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Phiuuu... I´ve ordered a Sovereingn blade from the Moat and hopefully it will get to me in the end of the month. I have commisioned the fittings for the blade from a friend who is a smith. I´ll harass him into take some during workstages photos of the project. We will get toghether in April and draw up the lines for the look of the stuff.... I cant wait...

So that's you! That's a very lucky pick Martin...I must admit I cursed whoever bought this one when I saw it was gone Happy

Congrats and hope you'll post picts of the project once it's in the making.

J

ps :How is the blade condition btw? I wonder why it ended up here...maybe the tang is too short? (it appears so on the pict)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Major Spring Cleaning at Albion - great deals!
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: