Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the fellow, ca. 1493:

Attachment: 49.96 KB
Kunz_von_der_Rosen.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a new Del Tin sword (at least I've never noticed it before) DT6165 Spada Da Lato - http://www.deltin.net/6165.htm - It looks very much like the sword you have been describing, but with more ornamentation.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Here is a new Del Tin sword (at least I've never noticed it before) DT6165 Spada Da Lato - http://www.deltin.net/6165.htm - It looks very much like the sword you have been describing, but with more ornamentation.

Yeah! That's the spirit! My project is coming along pretty well, as I've been working steadily for a few nights. It's close enough to finished that I know it will balance at around 4 inches below the cross. Feels good so far. Big Grin

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a "blitz build" this week to see if I could finish the one project that had all of its required parts. This was that project! I don't know what to call this thing, so I won't call it anything but "sword". Sorry for the sub-par photos. Old camera, bad light, sun in my eyes while editing, etc.

Modified Hanwei-Tinker longsword blade, modified Alchem pommel ($13, shippped!) and a heavily modified guard from a Windlass "15th Century Longsword". The result might be "fantasy," but I like it. The poor light I had for these snapshots shows every flaw, so you see the piece at its worst here. Note the casting pit in one arm of the guard. I wish I'd noticed that before I cut off the other ring. Sad I'm terrible with finishes, so all of the scratches are entirely my own fault. That's the area where I most need improvement. Still, it's a fun piece. Quick and well balanced, with a very pleasing blade presence. Very easy to stay on-target in a thrust and with enough blade presence to make authoritative cuts. I think it wants a buckler. Happy

Stats:
Overall length: 41" Silver's "perfect" length for me, though Silver would not have liked the sword.
Blade length: 35"
Point of Balance: 4.25" below guard
Center of Percussion: 22.75" below guard
Blade width at guard: 2"
Blade width at COP: 1"
Guard width: 8"
Weight: I have only an analog bathroom scale, but that tells me approx. 2.25 lbs.

Attachment: 73.21 KB
FULL.gif

Attachment: 141.96 KB
REAR.gif

Attachment: 111.7 KB
POMMEL.gif

Attachment: 168.42 KB
GRIP.gif

-Sean

Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always like the end results of your projects. You could be doing this professionally.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very inspiring, I'm always surprised at how your projects turn out. I've slowing been building up my parts and blade bin. Gotta get cracking!
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:
...I'm always surprised at how your projects turn out...

Me too! Laughing Out Loud At some point in every project I'm holding a pile of scrap metal in my stained and split fingers, acutely aware of how little I know about what I'm doing. So I usually think, "hey, that's actually not too bad" when a project comes together in a reasonably attractive way. There are big obstacles between those moments, and you just have to push through them.

-Sean

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice - simple, but elegant. Transport it back to the early 16th century, and I'm sure it would pass without comment.

The Hanwei/Tinker longsword blade has close to a 60% distal taper, so it must be a very handy sword, depending on how it interacts with that pommel.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
The Hanwei/Tinker longsword blade has close to a 60% distal taper, so it must be a very handy sword, depending on how it interacts with that pommel.

My greatest concern was that the pommel (Alchem's 1.75" sphere) would overpower the strongly tapered blade. I removed some weight when I drilled it and created the "foot", but probably added most of that back with the nut. There wasn't any way to be sure until I cut the tang to length, and I was pleased with the result. Frankly, I don't know if I'd like the H-T blade mounted as a longsword. It would certainly be quick, but I suspect it would lack blade presence., It seems better to me as a single-hand blade. The H-T bastard sword blade, on the other hand, is very robust--.5" at its thickest-and I think that will make a nice hand-and-a-half riding sword.

-Sean

Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great job! That's very well done. 16th century all purpose side sword.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean, I *really* like the lines and proportions of the final piece. Really quite nice.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The more I look at the pictures, the more I like it. It looks like a lovely sword....when do you cut?
Michael Bergstrom
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:
....when do you cut?

Last week, when the blade shifted while I was holding it. Big Grin Just a scratch. But this blade ships razor sharp--too sharp for me. I rebated it slightly and it's now as sharp as my A&A Town Guard. I'm not much of a test-cutter. I don't think it has much to tell me from an historical perspective.

I realized that it's hard to get a sense of scale from my other photos, so here are a couple more. Although it's only about one inch longer than the A&A Town Guard, they're very different weapons. The A&A is every inch a field sword, while the other seems more a civilian sword. As you can see, there's no problem using the index finger around the blade (until the opposing blade slices it off, of course Sad ).

Attachment: 188.54 KB
scale.gif

Attachment: 209.7 KB
tg.gif

-Sean

Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

Sean,

that Landsknecht in the wood cut is Kunz von den Rosen... I always thought it was a Grossemesser under his arm...
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Treichel wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Sean,

that Landsknecht in the wood cut is Kunz von den Rosen... I always thought it was a Grossemesser under his arm...

yes, it is a messer. The ring is the point of interest for me.

-Sean

Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhhh, the Town Guard Sword, be still my beating heart, and crying bank account. That sword is on my top 3 list. Your creation looks like it belongs next to it though. It's monster long though, very nice for keeping people at bay ; )
It actually looks like it would be a touch too long for my liking. But still very pretty.
When I've worked with sharps in the past, I've taken a piece of heavy gauge wire, stripped it out of it's casing, then laid the edge of the sword or knife blade into the the spot for the wire, then I run a strip of gaffer tape down the whole thing to secure it even more in place. Helps prevent nasty accidents.

Michael Bergstrom
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:

It actually looks like it would be a touch too long for my liking.

I thought about shortening the point by about an inch because it so acute, but I it feels right in the hand. I think you could take this blade back as much as two inches and give it more rounded shoulders without disrupting the profile, but then, it'd probably be better to start with the H-T bastard sword blade in that case--it has that kind of point to begin with and is stiff enough that it doesn't necessarily need the needle point to lead the way.

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Italian JobDIY Project
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: