Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Couldn't do it at SFI, so I'll ask here... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Variables of Cutting         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

Historically accurate edge geometry? Well, it can be very, very acute and sharp, or fairly stout and not all that sharp. Variables here depend on the intended use of the sword {in period}, the type of sword, the mass of the sword, the owner of the sword, the "condition" of the sword, and possibly the final entity involved in the manufacture of the sword, be it blade grinder or cutler........

"Condition" means in this context whether the sword is pristine, or "tired". And "tired" means a sword that has been over polished and or over sharpened.........

Hi Gus,

Why would an over-polished sword be "tired"? I assume "tired" in a negative connotation, as meaning diminished performance. Same for over-sharpened sword. I can see that in the long run, an overly-sharpened sword will get its edge damaged faster and worse, but at lest for a while it should it not perform pretty well against "soft" targets?

Alexi

Hi Alexi

When a sword gets nicked up on the edges, there'd be two ways to take care of it. Polish the entire blade, like modern katanas are done, or grind a secondary bevel, and blend in. Personally, I think both ways were done historically......

If one polishes the whole blade to get rid of nicks, or sharpen a sword, you're taking quite a bit of mass from the blade. Do this a few times, and the blade is no longer capable of doing the original task.......

Doing it the other way, you lose less material, but you're effective cutting edge geometry becomes less acute. The edge will likely be stronger, the first time or two its repaired like this, probably in such a manner that it may make up for the initial sharpening. But eventually, two things are going to happen. Your cutting geometry is going to be too steep, or the blade will become too thin in width..... or if you still have "meat" in the cutting area, but you're edge angle is too steep, then you maybe can take the thickness down some.....still you've lightened up the blade some........

Assuming the blade doesn't get either bent or broken before you take it as far as it will go, eventually you will "repair' the blade

Either way, a period sword had a limited life span. Use it, bang it on another blade, the nick{s} should be removed from the blade. Cut thru some bone, nick the blade, the blade should be repaired. Damage the edge on armor, the damage should be repaired....... Period blades were not on average as hard as modern blades, thus the edges were more vulnerable to damage than modern blades.......

swords are fun
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Gus.

That makes sense with respect to your first post. Over sharpened and over polished means the edges were repaired few too many times. I initially thought you were referring to very sharp or very polished (mirror polish) NEW swords.

Now I understand.

Alexi
Joseph C.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps if there was more information, such as a sticky topic, available to newbies about what to look for in a sword some of this could be avoided. After all, to someone who has never handled real swords there has to be something about them to justify their expense. That is why cutting prowess takes such precedence.

There has got to justification for the price, regardless of what one is buying. In digital cameras it is megapixels. More megapixels do not make one camera better than other. In fact, there can be justification for spending much more on a 6MP camera than an 8MP one--depending on the cameras, of course. However, most people are not keenly aware of why they should spend the extra money on the "lesser" camera.

And, quite frankly, with expensive items rookies do not have enough experience with the products to even know what they want. That is my problem with swords. How do I know if I like the way a type XII feels in my hand? What if I'm more of a type XIV kind of guy? Then there are the different makers, lines, etc. I can't spend thousands to test them all.

I know that no one can answer the question of which sword I would like for me. That is why I attempt to discern that through reading the forums and reviews. However, I can sympathize with those who are overly concerned with cutting. They are misinformed, but they are (probably) trying.

(I would like to add that I did not read the SFI topic, so I am not justifying the actions of anyone involved in that dispute.)

Hosea 4:6a
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's funny how Albion and Atrim arguements usually whittle down to cutting ability, but it's usually based on 2 liter bottles, milk jugs, pool noodles, and maybe tatami mats.

I collect Del Tin's. Not known for cutting ability, but I'm sure my opponent's not going to argue tracking ability when I am pulling my blade out of his split skull and helmet.

Seriously though, people are spending a bit too much time pitting these two companies against each other. Although these swords are meant for battle, Albion and Angus Trim are not at war.

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Justice wrote:
. . .it's usually based on 2 liter bottles, milk jugs, pool noodles, and maybe tatami mats.
. . . I'm sure my opponent's not going to argue tracking ability when I am pulling my blade out of his split skull and helmet.

Most of my collection is composed of thrusting blades, so I am a lot less interested in cutting demonstrations than others whose tastes run to big slicers. If competing blade makers want to set standards for effectiveness and durability of their products, I am not against it. But the standard ought to say something about the ability of the sword to achieve the same result as the original, against the sort of target swords were really used to cut.

Water jugs and pool noodles have never struck me as being very effective targets if your goal is to prove how well your blade would slice up a real enemy. Tatami mats make some sense for Eastern swords, since their toughness is similar to some forms of medieval Japanese armor. But jugs and pool noodles have no virtue except that they are easily obtained. Killing a milk jug reminds me too much of the Monty Python skit about self defense against banana-wielding attackers. Since medieval knights were never confronted by an aggressive jug of liquid or a rampaging pool noodle I am not impressed by that sort of demonstration.

A few weeks ago someone posted a link to an excellent demonstration clip of a sword being used to cut a hanging ham. The swordsman rapidly produced ham sandwiches all around. Now that's my kind of demonstration of blade effectiveness. The Albion clips of proof testing blades on the edge of a metal drum would also qualify as legitimate proof of durability for swords used in the era of plate armor.

At least a large zucchini, if not a large cantaloupe or small watermelon, would seem to me to be needed to give a sword collector some idea of what he can do with his favorite blade. Last I heard the Civil War reenactors were using melons as targets for horseback sabre practice. I have often used cantaloupes to test the comparative effect of pistol bullets. They are a bit messy for firearms targets, but they would do quite well as blade targets, if all you want to do is check your own technique. And the larger melons respond to both cut and thrust.

None of my top quality swords will ever be tested by me against any target. If I ever feel the need to practice technique, I will use an expendable blade with a reasonable but crude edge. That sort of blade more closely resembles the weapon that a medieval combatant would have had in his hand after a few weeks of campaigning in poor weather anyway.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some odd reason, this discussion keeps stirring up a particular quote,
That being, from all things a movie,

Hans Solo to Luke Skywalker & Obi-wan......"Good against remote's is one thing...good against the living.....that's another..

Sorry, it's been rattling around in my feeble brain & had to come out.

Bill
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

All of the cutting mediums you've mentioned do have some kind of value. True, pool noodles and plastic bottles really won't tell you much about the swords cutting ability. What they will give you information on is the swords handling characteristics and your own ability to control the weapon. Japanese wara mats really don't illustrate a swords cutting ability either, but rather the users ability. Back in the old days we used plywood as a test medium. Since this is a rather abusive test material it did give us information on things like hilt construction and durability, same thing with cardboard tubing. With most of the major manufacturers the abusive tests aren't really neccesary anymore except at the factory for R&D purposes. Most of them are making a quality product now so we can be reasonably assured that our swords are properly constructed, without subjecting them to this kind of abuse.

You're absolutely right when you state that most of these things are used simply because they are available. Several years ago I used a freshly roadkilled Deer as a cutting medium, while using my old A&A GBS. It was an educational and messy experience that taught me a few things, but I don't intend to repeat it. Even farther back I used hanging sides of beef in a slaughter house, draped with various types of repro armor, as a test medium. As I said, all of these things have some kind of value no matter how limited. The key is to put them in their proper perspective, and don't claim that one type of test is the definitive answer.

After all what other choices do we have in our quest for knowledge, other than getting together for cutting parties and whacking on each other Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joseph,

As you already know the only one who can decide what's right for you is you. In terms of personal preference only you can make that decision. In terms of quality your best course of action is to read over our articles and reviews. spending time on our forums, and other websites, is also a good idea. We're all pretty opinionated but somewhere within the grandstanding is valuable knowledge and experience.

If you're within driving distance of one of the various makers you may want to give them a call. Ask them if you can stop by and handle some of their wares. Most of them are usually open to it, provided that some advanced notice is given. That way you can get some first hand experience before making a purchase.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

After all what other choices do we have in our quest for knowledge, other than getting together for cutting parties and whacking on each other :D

I have an old high school buddy who is now the coroner in Atlanta. If I ever really began to worry about the effectiveness of my blades, I would go to him for the details of modern homicides using similar edged weapons. But I have seen enough photographic evidence of the results of sharp metal versus human flesh to have no real need to examine them in person.

At most I have considered testing a mace on an old helm with a padded melon inside. But since I already know what the result is likely to be, the urge to do that test is not strong.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Couldn't do it at SFI, so I'll ask here...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: