Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Announcing...Freelance Academy Press Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Reinier van Noort

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my order, one copy of Venetian Rapier, last week. Great stuff! Happy I finished reading it this weekend.

The book is great. I like the matte finish on the cover. The paper used is also of good quality with a nice finish, and the printing is excellent.
I can't comment on the translation, as I do not know Italian, but the given text is very clear and understandable. Giganti's somewhat short book really focuses on core aspects, and seems to be a good book to start with to get to the main points of Italian Rapier-fencing (especially with the added glossary and introduction). The illustrations would perhaps have been nicer if they were larger, but are very clear as they are nonetheless.

Overall; one happy customer here. Happy

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reinier van Noort wrote:
Overall; one happy customer here. Happy

Seconded Happy

There is one thing that I wanted to point out: in the Italian version it seems that some of the text references to the plates were missing, such as on page 16. In the German/French version, the references are actually there... I don't know what level of confidence we can have in those, but it might help readers. If they understand German or French, of course Happy For example on p.16 the references are to plates 7 and 8. But interestingly plate 6 is not at the same place in the German/French edition, so that converts to 6 and 7 of Tom Leoni's...
Well, perhaps I should try to systematically fill in the blanks and see if it makes some sense first...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent and Ranier,

I am glad that you are pleased with the books! We were really thrilled with the matte finish, and I think we'll be sticking with it in the future. It is both visually pleasing and has an interesting "texture".

Vincent, I'm sure that Tom would love to hear about the differences in the French/German edition, and indeed, once the FAP blog goes live, it might make a great article. Keep us apprised!

Best,

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure there will be an official announcement as the publication date draws near, and likewise I'm sure a lot of you will have received the same promotional email I got today, but I can't help commenting on how excited I am about this:
Quote:
Coming Soon: Captain of the Guild - the Peter Falkner Fechtbuch

Spring is going to a busy season at Freelance. Watch this space in early April, as we bring you several "firsts" from our press, all rolled into one package: a full-color, hardback facsimile of Peter Falkner's Fechtbuch! Written by a long-time member and sometime captain of the famed Marxbrüder fencing guild, this collection of colorful, painted figures and short captions depict combat with a wide variety of weapons: the longsword, messer, dagger, staff, poleaxe, halberd, dueling shield and mounted combat.

Look for a sneak peak of this magnificent work, and an interview with its translator, Christian Henry Tobler in early April.

There are numerous references to Peter Falkner's work in In Saint George's Name, and I was really hoping a full facsimile and translation were in the works. I would love to have this right now, but I guess I'll have to be a bit patient.

If there was a pre-order option, you'd have my money already!

Edit: Of course, rereading the first post in this thread, it was already announced before I got In St. George's Name, I just didn't have an appreciation for it back then. Blush

On a side note, is Swordplay in the Age of Shakespeare still in the works?

Ottawa Swordplay
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Craig!

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

Yes, Falkner should be ready within 2 weeks. We hit a little snag at the printers with the cover (it's our first hardback), but that should be resolved and the final proof being approved within a day or so.

Swordplay in the Age of Shakespeare is definitely still in the works (there's a thread on SFI about it, right now). That's been a tricky book to produce, and will take a little more time on our designer's part, but it's definitely going to hit the market this year.

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey! I see your books are now available at Kult of Athena. That will definitely lead to some shipping savings for me in the future. Excellent News!
Ottawa Swordplay

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Announcing...Freelance Academy Press
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: