Claude Blair dead
Sad news. Claude Blair has died. The funeral will be held on Thursday 11 March, at 2 pm, in the church of St Sepulchre Newgate in the City of London.
Rest in peace Mr. Blair.
A great loss to us all - his works have been very important in the research in this field.. Rest in peace, Mr. Blair.
I was very sad to hear this yesterday. I can only say that he was a major mover in our small community of armour and arms enthusiasts. I knew others who had met him in person and everyone indicated he had an amazing passion for weapons and armour that has benefitted us all. I only wish I was still living in England so I could go to his funeral and pay respects to such a person.

RPM
Sad news
Sad news indeed, His work 'European Arms and Armour' was formative in my intrest, as a child, I can recall constantly redrawing the line drawings included in that book.

best wishes
Dave
Yes, with Blair joining Boccia, Norman and Oakeshott, it's really the end of an era.
Re: Sad news
David Huggins wrote:
Sad news indeed, His work 'European Arms and Armour' was formative in my intrest, as a child, I can recall constantly redrawing the line drawings included in that book.

It is still the best book available on the subject. Hopefully it will be updated and republished.
A big loss indeed. God bless you Mr. Blair.
That is too bad. He was a great source of information on subjects which are dear to our hearts. I hope he rests in peace and that his family will have some solace in the fact that he left a substantial body of very good work which is highly respected.
Another luminary passed on...my thanks to Mr. Blair for the innumerable services he rendered to our community of arms and armour enthusiasts. May he rest in peace.

Sincerely,

Christian
May he rest in the Last Homely House...
I'll be sure to pay my respects. (When was his book published? I think my dad might have had it)
Stuart Thompson wrote:
I'll be sure to pay my respects. (When was his book published? I think my dad might have had it)

Which book? He wrote a number of them. Check out our Bibliography.
Mr. Blair's contributions to the field of historical arms and armour research cannot be underestimated; Indeed, in the area of Scottish weaponry alone, his research was invaluable, giving much needed understanding to a field often rife with misunderstanding and outright myth. All future research and study into historical arms and armour will be built upon the framework set up by the likes of Mr. Blair, Oakeshott, Norman, et al. He will be missed, but his legacy will thrive.
My condolences to his friends and family.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: