Info. on maker needed
I need some info. about the M.C. Lilley Co. Have seen alot of U.S. 1902 models by them and just wanting to find out more.

Have read that some of the earlier pieces of this model they did were quite well done.
I found a 1902 at a local antique shop, but the maker was William C. Rowland of PA, and it seemed
ok for a dress sword - $85 - was the price tag.

So if anyone knows more about the 1902 model & M.C. Lilley Co., please enlighten me.

William
aka Bill
Re: Info. on maker needed
William Goodwin wrote:
I need some info. about the M.C. Lilley Co. Have seen alot of U.S. 1902 models by them and just wanting to find out more.

Have read that some of the earlier pieces of this model they did were quite well done.
I found a 1902 at a local antique shop, but the maker was William C. Rowland of PA, and it seemed
ok for a dress sword - $85 - was the price tag.

So if anyone knows more about the 1902 model & M.C. Lilley Co., please enlighten me.

William
aka Bill

Hey Bill,

I had heard of them when reading about the Ames Sword Company. Lilley is one of the companies that purchased Ames some years ago. Here's some info on the company:

The founder Mitchell C. Lilley was born in 1819 in Columbus Ohio and died in 1882. Served in the Mexican War (1847-1848) and the Civil War (1861-1862). He was a bookbinder and publisher and published Masonic and Odd Fellows books. In 1865 started the M. C. LILLEY & CO which produced regalia and swords. This included society swords, US regulation swords (Model 1872 cavalry officers swords), and theatrical swords. Upon his death in 1882, the name was changed to THE M. C. LILLEY & CO and his long time partner Charles H. Lindenburg became president. They expanded into a complete line of military swords, uniforms, accessories, and equipment. They issued many military and society catalogs, including a 1919 presentation sword catalog. In 1923 the M. C. Lilley & Co purchased the Henderson-Ames and two years later purchased the Ames Sword Company. In that year, 1925, the name was changed to THE LILLEY CO.. The Ames equipment, tools machinery, etc. were moved from Chicopee, MA, to Columbus Ohio. In 1931 the name was changed to THE LILLEY-AMES CO.. They made a complete line of US regulation swords, including Marine Corps, West Point cadet, and Annapolis cadet swords. In 1941 they had a U.S. contract for 2,936 Model 1941 naval cutlasses with scabbards. The company failed to diversify as regalia sales declined and the company was sold to C. E. Ward in 1951. It operated as a badge manufacturer under the name of LILLEY AMES CO. from 1951 to 1953.
Thanks so much for the bio info. on them Amy.

Concerning the Model 1902, was it mainly a officers dress sword or was it a functional blade as well?

William
aka Bill
William the 1902 was a dress sword for all ranks .This does not inherantly mean one couldn't use it but that it was for parade and formal purposes. I used to collect these a few years back and unless the sword's in really bad shape $85 is a very decent price . There are usually floral sprays and stacked arms and such engraved on the first half of both sides of the blade with an open panel at about the mid point of the engraving on one or both sides . This was supposed to be for the owners name and rank and the like . If that panel's engraved with a name or initials it ups the value slightly .
Allan,

thanks. I've read that early models of the 1902 were well made. I see them all the time on e-bay ranging in price from say $75 to well over $200 ( in some cases). The same antique shop that has this W.C. Rowland, had one about a year ago for around $250. Can't remember the maker though.

So, you use to collect this particular model? What should I look for, if I was going to purchase one of these? Kinda like
to have one in my collection. Were any early models made with a German blade in them? I know that WK & C (or is it WC &K) make a good looking version of it.

Sorry for all the questions, I just like to find out as much as I can about the sword before I make a purchase.

William
aka Bill
I've not heard or seen one made with a german blade I have seen one with a Wilkinson once though it was obviously a custom piece as the blade was much longer than regulation . The earlier ones are a little more varied in that you can find hilts made from different materials ( a hard shinny plastic grip was near standard by the end of WWII ) and the make up
of the blade engraving was more varied as there were more firms making the sword for contracts early on than later ( by WWII) . Overall the earlier 1902's just have that hint of "hand made" that the latter 02's don't . The most common things to go wrong on these are for some odd reason the scabbrds seem to get an awfull lot of abuse and end up with lots of dents , the plating bubbling and pealing on the scabbard and alot of these seem to get left in thier scabbard for years without anyone having the forethought to oil it so the blades can be bad shape . Its not uncommon to find these with the sword knot still attached . I prefered the older ones when I collected them but had them all the way up to the 50's from a military academy (sp)of which the name escapes me . The average price I paid was around $150.00 with the four that had
the owners name and rank running me $200-225 . As long as its in decent shape its toughto go wrong at $85.00 for one .
William Goodwin wrote:
Sorry for all the questions, I just like to find out as much as I can about the sword before I make a purchase.

I totally agree on that point. That's one of the great things about this place :cool: . It's a great pool of knowledge on sharp pointy things. :D
Hi Bill,

Here is a site which features a bit of history of the m1902 Army Officers sabre.

http://arms2armor.com/Swords/1902army.htm

I wouldn't mind owning a new one made by Wilkinson swords.
http://www.wilkinson-swords.com/us_swords/index.html

Attachment: 112.29 KB
DSCN4953.JPG

Allan,
Thanks for additional info.

Stephen,
Was hoping you'd show up. In talking with a friend on the phone last night, he said that some of the early models
made by M.C. Lilley & some by Horstman had German steel blades in them. Also that the one's with the dark wooden grips instead of the composite grips, were the one's to really watch out for.

Might go back the antique shop and take a closer look at the one by W.C. Rowland, for $85 it may be worth re-checking.

Thanks guys for all the input.

And Nate, your correct as welll, this site has been a great place for helpful info. without having to trudge through all the other non-sense on some of the other sites.

Bill

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: