Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Patrick's Baron Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Patrick's Baron Review         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

I just wanted to commend you for writing one of the best reviews I've seen yet. Well done for incorporating commentary from Chad A and Peter J-- also for setting the Baron within its historical and modern (i.e. Albion) context. You've set a great precedent for reviews from here on out, I think.

One thing surprised me-- I imagined the blade would be a bit longer then 7 5/8 inches Wink

One minor "typo" aside, thanks for the great work!

Yours,

David
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes i agree thats one of the best reviews on here ,the trouble is it make me even more tempted to buy one as a matching partner to my Knight.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Superb review, Patrick!

Shortly before the Atl. Blade Show, I changed my Albion order from a Duke to the Baron. After handling the sword at the show and reading your review, I'm thrilled that I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the review. I was very happy with the way that it turned out.

I decided to solicit a few comments from Peter, since he designed the sword after all. I really like the concept of including imput from the maker/designer. This is something that I'm going to try to do from now on, whenever possible. Regarding Chads comments: This is another concept that we'd like to impliment. Round-Robin style reviews have a lot of merit, since the reader gets more than one point of view. So in the future we'll be hitting others up for their opinions.

Rest assured, we'll get that typo corrected ASAP Eek!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:
yes i agree thats one of the best reviews on here ,the trouble is it make me even more tempted to buy one as a matching partner to my Knight.

Lee,

I bought this sword to serve as a companion for my Big Johnsson (Type X made by Peter Johnsson). I think it works very well for this purpose, so it would work equally well with your Knight. The only thing better would be a XIIa actually made by Peter!

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Grubbs wrote:
Superb review, Patrick!

Shortly before the Atl. Blade Show, I changed my Albion order from a Duke to the Baron. After handling the sword at the show and reading your review, I'm thrilled that I should have mine in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

James

I think you made a good choice James. I had initially considered the Duke as well but decided that I prefered the look of the Baron. The blades profile, and the pommel design, add a lot of needed detail to an austere design.

Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,
That was an excellent review. You've sold me on the Baron, that's for sure. I think Albion would find sending you swords to review on a frequent basis a very wise business move mate.

Quote:

I bought this sword to serve as a companion for my Big Johnsson (Type X made by Peter Johnsson). I think it works very well for this purpose, so it would work equally well with your Knight. The only thing better would be a XIIa actually made by Peter!

I am in negotiations as we speak! bwahaha etc. Laughing Out Loud
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Hi Patrick,
That was an excellent review. You've sold me on the Baron, that's for sure. I think Albion would find sending you swords to review on a frequent basis a very wise business move mate.

Quote:

I am in negotiations as we speak! bwahaha etc. Laughing Out Loud

Thanks Taylor,

Do you mean that you're in negotiations with Peter? If so, you've made an outstanding choice. Of course an Albion wouldn't be a bad second Laughing Out Loud

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Hi Patrick,I think Albion would find sending you swords to review on a frequent basis a very wise business move mate.

I'm definitely trying! It just hasn't worked out yet. The Next Gen models have been so popular, that there hasn't really been any available for review samples.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I think you made a good choice James. I had initially considered the Duke as well but decided that I prefered the look of the Baron. The blades profile, and the pommel design, add a lot of needed detail to an austere design.

I agree wholeheartedly, Patrick. The small details (espaecially the cross potent in the pommel) really drove my decision. I also seem to have much more of an affinity for clean, simple lines since I got my Peacemaker. Prior to that, I was more of a "flashy" sword afficianado. The pure, visible functionality of the Baron is very powerful to me. With my newfound interest in "cutters" I think it will round out my very small collection quite well.

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks Taylor,

Do you mean that you're in negotiations with Peter? If so, you've made an outstanding choice. Of course an Albion wouldn't be a bad second Laughing Out Loud

Yeah, I've got a spot with Kevin Cashen coming up soon, and am going over stuff with Peter. Just a case of what to get from each! The XIIa is my favourite type of sword, so maybe I'll get one from each! Happy
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Stats         Reply with quote

Interesting. I just noticed that the Baron weighs more, is longer, and has a wider blade (at least at the guard) than Albion's Duke.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad people have enjoyed the review. It was cool to be a small part of it.

The Baron is quite a sword. It's my new favorite. At least until the Sovereign arrives. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Patrick's Baron Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic